Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

583
Banjo Lovers Online


Nov 10, 2020 - 2:25:14 PM
like this
11155 posts since 1/15/2005

245 years young! Semper Fi!

Nov 10, 2020 - 3:24:21 PM

530 posts since 11/23/2011

Happy Birthday "Devil Dogs"
Semper Fi!

Nov 10, 2020 - 3:35:18 PM
likes this

56442 posts since 12/14/2005

And of course, the BLUEGRASS banjo is tuned so their song is VERY easy to play!

 

As Sgt Wayne "String" Stryker said:
"Lemme get my fingerpicks out, and I'll pick it for ya!"


Edited by - mike gregory on 11/10/2020 15:41:13

Nov 11, 2020 - 6:09:16 AM

mander

USA

4485 posts since 10/7/2007

My eldest son calls November 10th, his second birthday. He's still celebrating.

Nov 11, 2020 - 6:14:25 AM

3596 posts since 7/8/2010

Thank you, Marines, for your service and sacrifices.

Nov 11, 2020 - 11:53:57 AM
likes this
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

12859 posts since 5/24/2005

My dad, Jack, age seventeen-maybe just turned 18 in 1944, prior to shipping out on BB40, The USS New Mexico, Queen of the Fleet when commissioned.

He was somewhere in the inferno of this pic, taken shortly after the Kamikazi hit.  Though severely wounded he survived.  Nearly 60 did not!

Thank you, dad, and all you Marines.  Brad




 

Nov 11, 2020 - 12:03:48 PM
likes this

2594 posts since 4/22/2018
Online Now

Happy birthday and thank you all, from this side of the pond - Semper Fi

Edited by - Wet Spaniel on 11/11/2020 12:04:23

Nov 11, 2020 - 12:12:46 PM
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

12859 posts since 5/24/2005

quote:
Originally posted by Wet Spaniel

Happy birthday and thank you all, from this side of the pond - Semper Fi


My dad went directly to the Pacific, late in the war.  My FIL, a couple of years older,  went into the Navy.  He spent time training for D-Day in N. Ireland and England.  He liked the young women and the beer, but would never-ever eat mutton again.  He served on smaller ships, a destroyer escort, and a repair ship.  He watched the beach landings from not that far away.  He was never able to talk much about what he saw.

Brad

Nov 11, 2020 - 12:22:02 PM

2594 posts since 4/22/2018
Online Now

quote:
Originally posted by rinemb
quote:
Originally posted by Wet Spaniel

Happy birthday and thank you all, from this side of the pond - Semper Fi


My dad went directly to the Pacific, late in the war.  My FIL, a couple of years older,  went into the Navy.  He spent time training for D-Day in N. Ireland and England.  He liked the young women and the beer, but would never-ever eat mutton again.  He served on smaller ships, a destroyer escort, and a repair ship.  He watched the beach landings from not that far away.  He was never able to talk much about what he saw.

Brad


There was a lot of training for D Day here Brad - unfortunately there were some really tragic exercises on the south west coast where lots of servicemen died before the big day.  I cannot even begin to imagine what the landings were like in reality.

on a positive note, we do mutton so much n]better now than we did back then.

Nov 11, 2020 - 12:38:29 PM
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

12859 posts since 5/24/2005

quote:
Originally posted by Wet Spaniel
quote:
Originally posted by rinemb
quote:
Originally posted by Wet Spaniel

Happy birthday and thank you all, from this side of the pond - Semper Fi


My dad went directly to the Pacific, late in the war.  My FIL, a couple of years older,  went into the Navy.  He spent time training for D-Day in N. Ireland and England.  He liked the young women and the beer, but would never-ever eat mutton again.  He served on smaller ships, a destroyer escort, and a repair ship.  He watched the beach landings from not that far away.  He was never able to talk much about what he saw.

Brad


There was a lot of training for D Day here Brad - unfortunately there were some really tragic exercises on the south west coast where lots of servicemen died before the big day.  I cannot even begin to imagine what the landings were like in reality.

on a positive note, we do mutton so much n]better now than we did back then.


IF I cook lamb, I have to do it outdoors and only when the wind is out of the south.  I like lamb-wife not so much.  Brad

Nov 11, 2020 - 12:51:55 PM

56442 posts since 12/14/2005

quote:
Originally posted by mander

My eldest son calls November 10th, his second birthday. He's still celebrating.


Years and YEARS ago, somebody  wrote that when an officer asked a grunt

"That's a down home accent, son. Where'd ya grow up?" the jarhead replied

"I was raised in Oklahoma, Sir; but I grew up in the Marines!"

Nov 11, 2020 - 9:55:44 PM

11155 posts since 1/15/2005

quote:
Originally posted by rinemb

My dad, Jack, age seventeen-maybe just turned 18 in 1944, prior to shipping out on BB40, The USS New Mexico, Queen of the Fleet when commissioned.

He was somewhere in the inferno of this pic, taken shortly after the Kamikazi hit.  Though severely wounded he survived.  Nearly 60 did not!

Thank you, dad, and all you Marines.  Brad


Great photos Brad.  The photo of your dad just reminds me of the midwest farm boys, southern boys, northern boys from ethnic neighborhoods, western kids, and young men from all walks of life that served and died to make our country safe and great.  I know that you are proud of your dad's service and my heart goes out to the families of all those flag draped coffins where those boys never had an opportunity to have a family or raise their young children.

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.2207031