Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

1198
Banjo Lovers Online


Oct 31, 2020 - 10:21:47 AM
like this
793 posts since 1/30/2019

Also known as Nancy Clough's March. Another Northumbrian pipes tune following on from @gentrixuk set of jigs a short while ago.


Oct 31, 2020 - 11:43:58 AM

167 posts since 5/25/2015

Nice Andy. Have you got the Northumbrian pipers Society tunebook? There are loads of great tunes in there.

Oct 31, 2020 - 1:35:46 PM

GMB

USA

344 posts since 5/29/2009

Really nice! Like the syncopation from the triplets. I've been enjoying your posts---keep it up! Jerry Oh yeah, nice banjo!

Oct 31, 2020 - 1:56:15 PM

793 posts since 1/30/2019

quote:
Originally posted by gentrixuk

Nice Andy. Have you got the Northumbrian pipers Society tunebook? There are loads of great tunes in there.


Thanks Mark. Nope, don't have that. Is it easily available, or just from the society?

This was thrust at me by a friend who takes part in Tunesday Tuesday on Facebook. I don't do Facebook, but he posts my stuff when I get something done. This one looked like it would work out, and I liked your Northumbrian tunes so much I thought I'd have a go. 

All the best,

Andy

Oct 31, 2020 - 1:58:14 PM

793 posts since 1/30/2019

quote:
Originally posted by GMB

Really nice! Like the syncopation from the triplets. I've been enjoying your posts---keep it up! Jerry Oh yeah, nice banjo!


Thanks Jerry, glad you liked it. I'm pleased with this one, it was quite tough to get as right as I could. 

All the best,

Andy

Oct 31, 2020 - 2:01:46 PM

793 posts since 1/30/2019

quote:
Originally posted by GMB

Oh yeah, nice banjo!


The banjo is Vegaphone pro tenor with a new neck. I love it, but I've had to learn a lighter touch than my other banjos. Otherwise our neighbours would complain. (They're half a mile away....)

Oct 31, 2020 - 3:18:40 PM

banjopaolo

Italy

1172 posts since 11/6/2008

Very nice Andy!
I owned a Vegaphone tenor from the 30's yers ago, it was a really great instrument... then I sold it: great mistake!
love that sound, I'm sure your neighbours will enjoy....

Oct 31, 2020 - 3:41:11 PM

793 posts since 1/30/2019

quote:
Originally posted by banjopaolo

Very nice Andy!
I owned a Vegaphone tenor from the 30's yers ago, it was a really great instrument... then I sold it: great mistake!
love that sound, I'm sure your neighbours will enjoy....


Thanks Paolo. I play tenor too, so I've kept the original neck, resonator, flange pieces and bracket. Trouble is the five string is so nice to play, it's going to stay like this for quite a while. I could even pop on some finger picks go for some Scruggs style! 

Always appreciate comments, thanks again!

Andy

Edited by - Andyrhydycreuau on 10/31/2020 15:41:48

Oct 31, 2020 - 4:55:29 PM
likes this

167 posts since 5/25/2015

quote:
Originally posted by Andyrhydycreuau
quote:
Originally posted by gentrixuk

Nice Andy. Have you got the Northumbrian pipers Society tunebook? There are loads of great tunes in there.


Thanks Mark. Nope, don't have that. Is it easily available, or just from the society?

This was thrust at me by a friend who takes part in Tunesday Tuesday on Facebook. I don't do Facebook, but he posts my stuff when I get something done. This one looked like it would work out, and I liked your Northumbrian tunes so much I thought I'd have a go. 

All the best,

Andy


You can order it direct from their website. They've got a few different books of tunes on there. I might get the "Northumbrian Minstrelsy" book as well at some point

Oct 31, 2020 - 11:49:29 PM
likes this

banjopaolo

Italy

1172 posts since 11/6/2008

quote:
Originally posted by Andyrhydycreuau
quote:
Originally posted by banjopaolo

Very nice Andy!
I owned a Vegaphone tenor from the 30's yers ago, it was a really great instrument... then I sold it: great mistake!
love that sound, I'm sure your neighbours will enjoy....


Thanks Paolo. I play tenor too, so I've kept the original neck, resonator, flange pieces and bracket. Trouble is the five string is so nice to play, it's going to stay like this for quite a while. I could even pop on some finger picks go for some Scruggs style! 

Always appreciate comments, thanks again!

Andy


We have much in common:  both play tenor and five string, both like archtop guitar! What guitar is that you are playing in your videos?

Nov 1, 2020 - 1:44:18 AM

793 posts since 1/30/2019

Thanks all for the comments. @mike_gregory messaged asking about the neck.
It was made by Will Howson in his workshop near the River Severn here in the UK. But over there in England. Maple neck, pau ferro board, slotted peg head and fifth.
I sold a bass guitar and 2 banjos to pay for a neck. Fair swap I'd say.
The pot is a 1927 ish Vegaphone pro, serial number 69657.


Nov 1, 2020 - 1:50:35 AM

793 posts since 1/30/2019

We have much in common:  both play tenor and five string, both like archtop guitar! What guitar is that you are playing in your videos?


@banjopaolo my guitar is an English archtop made by Abbott in the very early 1930s. Hand carved single piece spruce top. Lovely tone, nearly 90 years old.

Ps, I love the mountains and rock climbing north of Milano, Grigne, Bragalia, Pizzo Badile, la Fiamme, Albigna and on and on. My idea of heaven..... 

Nov 1, 2020 - 2:31:02 AM

m06

England

9297 posts since 10/5/2006

Andy, nice one and lovely to hear our indigenous music being played on banjo.

Nov 1, 2020 - 8:28:59 AM

793 posts since 1/30/2019

quote:
Originally posted by m06

Andy, nice one and lovely to hear our indigenous music being played on banjo.


Thanks Mike, there is a gold mine of tunes to dig up for sure. Glad you like this one. 

All the best,

Andy

Nov 1, 2020 - 10:07:31 AM

banjopaolo

Italy

1172 posts since 11/6/2008

quote:
Originally posted by Andyrhydycreuau

We have much in common:  both play tenor and five string, both like archtop guitar! What guitar is that you are playing in your videos?


@banjopaolo my guitar is an English archtop made by Abbott in the very early 1930s. Hand carved single piece spruce top. Lovely tone, nearly 90 years old.

Ps, I love the mountains and rock climbing north of Milano, Grigne, Bragalia, Pizzo Badile, la Fiamme, Albigna and on and on. My idea of heaven..... 


Exactly in this Moment I’m coming back home from a wondrful walk in that zone (resegone) :-)

my archtop is a new far east made cheap model by epiphone... not so bad but before or then I’ll buy a prewar...

Edited by - banjopaolo on 11/01/2020 10:08:30

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.171875