Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

475
Banjo Lovers Online


Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!
Sep 30, 2020 - 9:56:32 AM
like this
2051 posts since 4/22/2018
Online Now

I’ve not made any for a good while so I when I was in the supermarket and they had cheapish pork shoulder on sale I bought one. If you’ve not had it before, it’s bacon made with shoulder rather than belly or loin. I’m not too fussy that it isn’t the best joint of shoulder in the world as it will end up in netting or tied with string before going in the smoker. It’s a cure of Prague powder, salt, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder and molasses. It looks a bit patchy in the vac bag but once the salt has some of the liquid, it will all be nicely mixed up tomorrow. It’ll have a couple of weeks in the fridge then a gentle smoke...... I can’t wait!




 

Sep 30, 2020 - 12:33:21 PM
likes this

14896 posts since 12/2/2005

You most certainly have my attention.

For us poor iggorant rebels on the other side of the pond... what, pray tell, is Prague powder?

Sep 30, 2020 - 2:06:53 PM
like this

2051 posts since 4/22/2018
Online Now

quote:
Originally posted by eagleisland

You most certainly have my attention.

For us poor iggorant rebels on the other side of the pond... what, pray tell, is Prague powder?


I honestly thought the term Prague Powder came from your side of the pond which is why I used it Skip - apologies..  Prague powder is a mix of salt and Nitrite/Nitrates, depending on the job you're doing. 

Prague Powder #1 (also known as Cure #1 here) is a mix of salt and Sodium Nitrite - you use it for curing meats that you would cook such as bacon/corned beef/pastrami/etc.  The Nitrite is very good at killing botulism etc and breaks down quite quickly so it is great for making the meat an inhospitable place for bugs to develop during the relatively short curing period for that type of food.  

Prague Powder # 2 (also known as Cure #2) is a mix of salt, Sodium Nitrite and Potassium Nitrate - used for curing uncooked meats such as air dried hams/prosciutto/salami/etc.  As with #1, the nitrite provides the short term bug cover and then the Nitrate takes longer to break down so this ensures the meat stays safe until it has lost enough water for the lack of moisture to become the reason bugs can't grow in the meat.

The nitrates/nitrites are mixed with salt to bulk it out to make it easy to weigh out at home - the amounts needed in their pure form are tiny so 'cutting' them with salt makes it easier to use whilst not poisoning yourself.  Some people aren't  fans but for me, im confident it breaks down safely and it ensures me a better chance of success so I tend to use it.

Sep 30, 2020 - 6:56:56 PM

figmo59

USA

31887 posts since 3/5/2008

Sounds good... :0)
But ...
I cannot have salt or nitrates...
Bummer...
But you please enjoy n tell of yer progress..! :0)

Oct 1, 2020 - 12:04:46 AM
likes this

2051 posts since 4/22/2018
Online Now

quote:
Originally posted by figmo59

Sounds good... :0)
But ...
I cannot have salt or nitrates...
Bummer...
But you please enjoy n tell of yer progress..! :0)


Bugger!

......I'll keep you posted in a week or two.

Oct 1, 2020 - 3:54:47 AM

14896 posts since 12/2/2005

quote:
Originally posted by Wet Spaniel

I honestly thought the term Prague Powder came from your side of the pond which is why I used it Skip - apologies..  Prague powder is a mix of salt and Nitrite/Nitrates, depending on the job you're doing. 

 

Thanks - I suspected as much. Maybe some folks here in the colonies call it Prague powder... I've always heard it called by either chemical name or as "pink salt."

Oct 1, 2020 - 4:12:06 AM
like this

slammer

USA

2920 posts since 12/30/2008

My son is an avid smoker and I get to score some Buckboard bacon from him when he visits. To me it is like a cross between bacon and Canadian Bacon. Makes for a Great BLT and the odd bits and ends are amazing in potato soup and cheesy beer soup !!!
Jonty, do yourself a favor and find a recipe for the cheesy beer soup with bacon and make and serve with a pint of your home brew !!!
Then call us and let us know what time dinner is !!!
Slammer!!!

Oct 1, 2020 - 4:18:49 AM

2051 posts since 4/22/2018
Online Now

quote:
Originally posted by eagleisland
quote:
Originally posted by Wet Spaniel

I honestly thought the term Prague Powder came from your side of the pond which is why I used it Skip - apologies..  Prague powder is a mix of salt and Nitrite/Nitrates, depending on the job you're doing. 

 

Thanks - I suspected as much. Maybe some folks here in the colonies call it Prague powder... I've always heard it called by either chemical name or as "pink salt."


tends to be just called 'Cure#1 or Cure#2' here.  i must admit i do prefer using it as opposed to the old 'pinch of saltpetre' recipes

Oct 1, 2020 - 4:24:34 AM
likes this

2051 posts since 4/22/2018
Online Now

quote:
Originally posted by slammer

My son is an avid smoker and I get to score some Buckboard bacon from him when he visits. To me it is like a cross between bacon and Canadian Bacon. Makes for a Great BLT and the odd bits and ends are amazing in potato soup and cheesy beer soup !!!
Jonty, do yourself a favor and find a recipe for the cheesy beer soup with bacon and make and serve with a pint of your home brew !!!
Then call us and let us know what time dinner is !!!
Slammer!!!


i checked out a couple of recipes dale - thats gonna stick to your ribs!  

Oct 11, 2020 - 3:03:20 AM
likes this

2051 posts since 4/22/2018
Online Now

Just pulled this out of the cure, it’s sitting in the fridge for a couple of hours before smoking this afternoon. Hopefully when I slice it later I won’t Have the dreaded ‘silver dollar’ of uncurled meat in the middle.




 

Oct 11, 2020 - 4:41:59 AM
likes this
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

12558 posts since 5/24/2005

Looks like the yums to me. Brad

Oct 11, 2020 - 4:51:06 AM
likes this

figmo59

USA

31887 posts since 3/5/2008

Not spoze to eat that...
But I would try ah bite... ;0)

Oct 11, 2020 - 4:56:49 AM

figmo59

USA

31887 posts since 3/5/2008

N......
Slammer.....
Gonna try ...that soup..! ;0)

Nevah heard of it before yer post ..thanks.. :0)

Oct 11, 2020 - 5:02:13 AM

figmo59

USA

31887 posts since 3/5/2008

Here's a link to Beer and Cheddar Soup:

foodandwine.com/recipes/beer-a...ddar-soup

Oct 11, 2020 - 8:33:28 AM
like this

2051 posts since 4/22/2018
Online Now

Just out of the smoker, quick quality control sample got the seal of approval from the boss who has requested ham and eggs! The rest will get sliced and vac packed for frying up later.




Oct 11, 2020 - 8:52:09 AM
like this

14896 posts since 12/2/2005

quote:
Originally posted by Wet Spaniel

Just out of the smoker, quick quality control sample got the seal of approval from the boss who has requested ham and eggs! The rest will get sliced and vac packed for frying up later.


Ooooohhhh... that's meat porn right there, it is!

Oct 11, 2020 - 9:01:02 AM

bubbalouie

Canada

14246 posts since 9/27/2007

Looks really good Jonty! Cured all the way through. You had it in for 2 weeks. That's how long I cure pork loin for what I call Canadian bacon. People call it pea meal bacon but I don't use the pea meal.

I smoke mine up to *145-!50 so you can eat it right out of the smoker but I vacu seal it in portions & freeze it.

I cut the loins up into 3 or 4 pieces & put them all in a 4X size ziplock & massage them every day when i get home from work. It really helps to get the cure all the way through. Nice Work!  

Oct 11, 2020 - 9:09:36 AM
likes this

2051 posts since 4/22/2018
Online Now

quote:
Originally posted by bubbalouie

Looks really good Jonty! Cured all the way through. You had it in for 2 weeks. That's how long I cure pork loin for what I call Canadian bacon. People call it pea meal bacon but I don't use the pea meal.

I smoke mine up to *145-!50 so you can eat it right out of the smoker but I vacu seal it in portions & freeze it.

I cut the loins up into 3 or 4 pieces & put them all in a 4X size ziplock & massage them every day when i get home from work. It really helps to get the cure all the way through. Nice Work!  


Thanks Bob, I make bacon from the loin too, we call I back bacon.  It's usually two,options, smoked or unsmoked - there's no heat in the smoking process so it needs cooking before it's eaten.  We call bacon made with belly 'streaky bacon' .

Oct 11, 2020 - 5:26:56 PM

bubbalouie

Canada

14246 posts since 9/27/2007

It's hit & miss when ordering pork bellies. I ask the my butcher to pick a nice one but it's hard to tell if it's all fat before you slice it! That's why I went to the pork loins. There's a small bit of fat around the outside of the back bacon & you might have to add a bit more when you fry it. 

I hot smoke on the Primo. Then it's fully cooked. I back off on the kosher salt & use exactly the right amount of Prague #1 powder. I think the cure is for flavour & to keep the bad bugs out while the meat goes from cold to *225.

There's so many different "Right" ideas on smoking. Some like to dry out their meat overnight in the fridge. Pectile or something. I thoroughly rinse it under cold water & put it on wet when it just starts to smoke. I think it makes the smoke stick better. 

Here's some that wasn't too fatty!

Edited by - bubbalouie on 10/11/2020 17:34:48

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.3125