Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

303
Banjo Lovers Online


Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!

Page: 1  2   3   4  ...   Next Page   Last Page (6) 

Aug 13, 2020 - 9:20:49 AM
73304 posts since 5/9/2007

I sure am glad that it's a federal crime to mess around with the Post Office.

Aug 13, 2020 - 10:59:50 AM

3511 posts since 7/8/2010

Point well taken, Steve.

Aug 13, 2020 - 11:33:32 AM
Players Union Member

DC5

USA

13236 posts since 6/30/2015

Too bad it's rarely enforced.

Edited by - DC5 on 08/13/2020 11:33:51

Aug 13, 2020 - 11:56:41 AM

73304 posts since 5/9/2007

There's never been a greater need and I figure it will be well enforced,shortly.

Aug 13, 2020 - 3:19:10 PM
likes this

10700 posts since 1/15/2005

quote:
Originally posted by steve davis

There's never been a greater need and I figure it will be well enforced,shortly.


What exactly are you referring to ..... and do you feel the same way about federal courthouses?

Aug 13, 2020 - 3:32:25 PM
like this

1915 posts since 4/22/2018

I’m sure glad that my local post office is in the lounge bar of my local pub (true).

Aug 13, 2020 - 3:49:57 PM

73304 posts since 5/9/2007

I'm referring to the intentional weakening of the Post Office.

What does the P.O. have to do with courts?

Edited by - steve davis on 08/13/2020 15:50:53

Aug 13, 2020 - 4:11:02 PM

conniel

USA

741 posts since 5/1/2020

It’s been a federal crime forever hasnt it?

Aug 13, 2020 - 4:16:33 PM

10700 posts since 1/15/2005

quote:
Originally posted by conniel

It’s been a federal crime forever hasnt it?


No ..... not burning down courthouses ..... but maybe post offices!

Aug 13, 2020 - 4:17:06 PM
like this

10700 posts since 1/15/2005

quote:
Originally posted by Wet Spaniel

I’m sure glad that my local post office is in the lounge bar of my local pub (true).


That's because you know how to do mail!

Aug 13, 2020 - 4:37:42 PM

mander

USA

4352 posts since 10/7/2007

Aug 13, 2020 - 6:47:07 PM

973 posts since 4/8/2006

I've noticed that. I sent a package to my niece in Atlanta 3 day priority, and it took two weeks! Got a package today that also took two weeks. I have several orders (non Amazon) floating around out there and when I try to track them with USPS it just says "shipped." If they're going to be stinky about it I just might go UPS from now on, though the post office is cheaper and closer to me.

Aug 13, 2020 - 9:01:18 PM
likes this

donc

Canada

6405 posts since 2/9/2010

I'm sure Steve's topic will become very life size in the next few weeks. nudge nudge.. wink-wink.

Aug 14, 2020 - 2:26:31 AM

1915 posts since 4/22/2018

quote:
Originally posted by BanjoLink
quote:
Originally posted by Wet Spaniel

I’m sure glad that my local post office is in the lounge bar of my local pub (true).


That's because you know how to do mail!


True, personally I'm mailing seven letters a week.

Aug 14, 2020 - 4:44:33 AM
likes this

Texasbanjo (Moderator)

USA

24851 posts since 8/3/2003

Let's try to leave politics out of this thread, please.

Aug 14, 2020 - 5:42:56 AM
like this
Players Union Member

wizofos

USA

5626 posts since 8/19/2012

The thing to remember is that the USPS is mandated in the constitution. Messing with USPS is not only a federal crime but everyone has the constitutional right to access the PO.  Messing with the PO denies your constitutional rights.

Article I, Section 8, Clause 7 of the United States Constitution, known as the Postal Clause or the Postal Power, empowers Congress "To establish Post Offices and Post Roads."

I think it is interesting that while the PO is administered by the Executive branch it is mandated in Article 1 of the Constitution which is the section of the constitution that defines the duties of the Legislative branch.

Aug 14, 2020 - 7:49:10 AM

Paul R

Canada

13101 posts since 1/28/2010

quote:
Originally posted by Wet Spaniel

I’m sure glad that my local post office is in the lounge bar of my local pub (true).


Do they mail you your beers?

Aug 14, 2020 - 7:58:05 AM

1915 posts since 4/22/2018

quote:
Originally posted by Paul R
quote:
Originally posted by Wet Spaniel

I’m sure glad that my local post office is in the lounge bar of my local pub (true).


Do they mail you your beers?


Fortunately not Paul, that is a much closer contact transaction!

Aug 14, 2020 - 8:02:12 AM
like this

RB3

USA

764 posts since 4/12/2004
Online Now

If you can't or won't be prosecuted for committing a federal crime, you can commit that crime with immunity. Having that power to do so by fiat, means that this becomes just another campaign strategy of disenfranchisement. We're well past the point where we all should quit saying "no one is above the law".

There's an apocryphal story about Ben Franklin leaving Convention Hall after the Founders had just finished writing the Constitution. When asked what kind of government we were going to have, Franklin, the first Post Master General, was reported to have said, "A republic, if you can keep it". It would indeed be a sad irony if we should lose our Republic through the pernicious use of the Postal Service.

Aug 14, 2020 - 8:18:31 AM
likes this

73304 posts since 5/9/2007

quote:
Originally posted by BanjoLink
quote:
Originally posted by conniel

It’s been a federal crime forever hasnt it?


No ..... not burning down courthouses ..... but maybe post offices!


The topic is Post Office.Why do you keep saying "burning down courthouses?

They better not mess with the performance of the Postal Service.I depend on it for all my medications and doctor's appointment cards from TOGUS.

That stuff is always and necessarily right on time.Lives depend on the Post Office.

I just got off the phone with my Town Office of St. George and they took down my name and mailing address to send me my mail-in stuff as soon as they get them.

The Postal Service is the backbone of this nation.

This reminds me of that scene in "Predator" with the alien walking across the bridge holding the head and spine of that big indian.

Edited by - steve davis on 08/14/2020 08:33:03

Aug 14, 2020 - 8:39:42 AM

10700 posts since 1/15/2005

quote:
Originally posted by steve davis
quote:
Originally posted by BanjoLink
quote:
Originally posted by conniel

It’s been a federal crime forever hasnt it?


No ..... not burning down courthouses ..... but maybe post offices!


The topic is Post Office.Why do you keep saying "burning down courthouses?

They better not mess with the performance of the Postal Service.I depend on it for all my medications and doctor's appointment cards from TOGUS.

That stuff is always and necessarily right on time.Lives depend on the Post Office.

I just got off the phone with my Town Office of St. George and they took down my name and mailing address to send me my mail-in stuff as soon as they get them.

The Postal Service is the backbone of this nation.

This reminds me of that scene in "Predator" with the alien walking across the bridge holding the head and spine of that big indian.


It takes a little thought to link the two together ..... but I'll give you a hint.  Protesters/rioters were trying to burn the destroy the courthouse in Portland ..... federal agents whose job is to protect the courthouse were roundly criticized for doing their job.  The post office, both their buildings and the system are federally protected yet some of the same people who were OK with burning the courthouse are now very protective of the Post Office.  For the record, I am for protecting both by whatever means necessary.  Comprende?

Aug 14, 2020 - 8:40:48 AM
like this

banjoy

USA

9139 posts since 7/1/2006

Rather than resurrect my old dead thread on the Post Office being attacked, I'll just add to this one.

If anyone has followed the news lately, which I will not repeat or link to here because it's all political, there can no longer be any doubt about what's going on unless your head is in the sand.

When I was with the Post Office each and every office, large and small, was required to keep a daily log during election season, of every piece of election mail and/or ballots than came into the office, logged by who, how many, and include a xerox copy sample of each different type. This log only took a few minutes of my time. This was done for internal auditing purposes so we'd all adhere to the law and play no favorites.

I will add that recent directives from the new Postmaster General, just issued, to the postal troops on the ground, is that from now there shall be no more logs, and that all election-related mail and ballots are to now be considered as bulk mail, meaning they will not be forwarded and will be disposed of if undeliverable. That's new and has never been done before. In addition, there is a directive that all ballots must now be paid as First Class Mail at .55 rather that the discount 1st Class bulk prices of .20 provided to States, as a courtesy and service, until now. That nearly triples the postal rates States must now pay and as I understand, creates a hybrid class of mail (States are denied discounts for 1st Class in bulk, it seems, something new as has been explained to me. Any organization which buys in bulk, even 1st Class, receives discounted rates.). Anyone who has ever served in nonprofit organizations that mail bulk First Class will know of those discounts. Anyway, I am unclear if this has been implemented yet, but the directive has come on down from above.

There are other internal changes I am aware of (because I still have friends at the operations level) which I won't go into because no one would understand them here unless you were familiar with POOM (Post Office Operations Management).

Every citizen should be outraged, but I know that's not going to happen. But those who are, really need to let your voices be heard in clear and no uncertain terms, to those who need to hear you.

And that's all I can say on this topic lest I push this thread off the rails.

Edited by - banjoy on 08/14/2020 08:46:29

Aug 14, 2020 - 8:53:53 AM

73304 posts since 5/9/2007

quote:
Originally posted by BanjoLink
quote:
Originally posted by steve davis
quote:
Originally posted by BanjoLink
quote:
Originally posted by conniel

It’s been a federal crime forever hasnt it?


No ..... not burning down courthouses ..... but maybe post offices!


The topic is Post Office.Why do you keep saying "burning down courthouses?

They better not mess with the performance of the Postal Service.I depend on it for all my medications and doctor's appointment cards from TOGUS.

That stuff is always and necessarily right on time.Lives depend on the Post Office.

I just got off the phone with my Town Office of St. George and they took down my name and mailing address to send me my mail-in stuff as soon as they get them.

The Postal Service is the backbone of this nation.

This reminds me of that scene in "Predator" with the alien walking across the bridge holding the head and spine of that big indian.


It takes a little thought to link the two together ..... but I'll give you a hint.  Protesters/rioters were trying to burn the destroy the courthouse in Portland ..... federal agents whose job is to protect the courthouse were roundly criticized for doing their job.  The post office, both their buildings and the system are federally protected yet some of the same people who were OK with burning the courthouse are now very protective of the Post Office.  For the record, I am for protecting both by whatever means necessary.  Comprende?


Try a little harder to stay on topic.This is only about the performance and integrity of our dear Postal System.

It has nothing to do with rioting unless it is in danger of being destroyed.

Aug 14, 2020 - 8:54:02 AM
like this

banjoy

USA

9139 posts since 7/1/2006

MODERATORS -- If this is inappropriate, please delete it. But this is what John is referring to.

Aug 14, 2020 - 9:36:45 AM

4807 posts since 10/6/2009

quote:
Originally posted by steve davis
quote:
Originally posted by BanjoLink
quote:
Originally posted by conniel

It’s been a federal crime forever hasnt it?


No ..... not burning down courthouses ..... but maybe post offices!


The topic is Post Office.Why do you keep saying "burning down courthouses?

They better not mess with the performance of the Postal Service.I depend on it for all my medications and doctor's appointment cards from TOGUS.

That stuff is always and necessarily right on time.Lives depend on the Post Office.

I just got off the phone with my Town Office of St. George and they took down my name and mailing address to send me my mail-in stuff as soon as they get them.

The Postal Service is the backbone of this nation.

This reminds me of that scene in "Predator" with the alien walking across the bridge holding the head and spine of that big indian.


Steve, you and Frank are spot on and this issue should be at the top of everyone's list of outrage. To intentionally diminish, dismantle, and destroy a huge part of the fabric of this country.....is disgraceful. We all know why it is being done which adds to the severity of the problem. EVERYONE should be supporting the Post Office and should be actively engaged with local and federal leaders to make sure that the institution remains in tact and running at its best. Especially during the coming months. Absolutely disgusting

Aug 14, 2020 - 9:41:45 AM

5317 posts since 9/16/2004

Isn't first class mail more secure than bulk mail?

Don't get upset, I'm just asking

Page: 1  2   3   4  ...   Next Page   Last Page (6) 

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.3125