About 4 years ago I had posted pictures and details of my remedial attempts at making my first banjo, a banjolele for my sons 4th birthday. I havent kept up with showing my progress, which has owed a lot to the wonderful folks of this forum. I have some pictures and videos of my 4th banjo and a banjitar I made, I would like to share on this thread. I am currently in the process of making my 6th banjo and will also post pictures and video of that and my 5th banjo as I get around to it. I appreciate any input and comments.
This Alder Banjo is a Tackless Tackhead. I used Alder for the Rim, Dowel, Bridge and Neck. Ebony for the Nut, Pegs and Inlay. Walnut for the Tailpiece. Medium Frets. Goatskin Head stained with Black Tea. Finished with Beeswax. Strung with Nylgut Reds.
This is a Banjitar I made with the neck from a Martin D15 that was my old hitchhiking/busking companion, that met a sad end in a car crash. I used some teak to extend the neck to the proper length, walnut for the dowel, spanish cedar for the rim, goatskin head stained with coffee, walnut tailpiece, and bridge made from the mahogany body of the guitar itself. beeswax finish throughout, strung with nylon.
They both look and sound great. Good job!
'Red Haired Boy' 1 hr
'Prodigal Son' 2 hrs
'“N.O.S GIBSON NECK”' 2 hrs