I would like to hear about experiences people have had in importing a banjo into Australia in the last TWO YEARS. Some things I am unsure of;
1. Is the only duty NOW payable GST?
2. Where is GST payable? Does the vendor have to apply the tax? What is taxed?
3. If one is purchasing from niche builder, how is the value determined to keep the Australian authorities happy?
4. Is it advisable to use an 'Customs Agent' to sort things out?
5. When the instrument is paid for and the vendor has it prepared for shipping, is there anything the buyer needs to do at this end to ensure the process is smooth, delay free and legal.
6. Any tips to make the process less hurtful on the 'pocket'?
Advice, comments or experiences greatly appreciated. Reply by private message OK if you would prefer to keep it 'non public'.
I've shipped a few vintage banjos to Australia and both buyers requested I remove the neck from the pot and ship these "banjo parts" separately. Shipping from US was far less and you know, parts are parts!
'Rangy Lynn Rag' 1 hr
'Bad links' 2 hrs
'Tri kini Song' 4 hrs
'Vintage shoe needed' 5 hrs