Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

151
Banjo Lovers Online


I have alligator leather, need strap maker (UPDATED with pics of my strap!)

Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!
Apr 29, 2020 - 3:43:07 PM
like this
1362 posts since 11/21/2005

I have some alligator leather from an alligator that a friend and I harvested a few years ago. I'd love to have it made into a strap for my Chuck Lee banjo. Please let me know if you have ideas of who can convert it into a top-notch strap. Thank you in advance!

John

Edited by - BigRedWarEagle on 06/02/2020 11:58:26

Apr 29, 2020 - 4:29:42 PM

beegee

USA

21757 posts since 7/6/2005

There is a banjo player in Virginia, James Reynolds, in Virginia, who would be my choice. Find him on FaceBook.

Apr 29, 2020 - 4:51:29 PM

1362 posts since 11/21/2005

Thank you, Bob!

Apr 29, 2020 - 5:30:06 PM
likes this

ChunoTheDog

Canada

241 posts since 8/9/2019

Thats really cool. I'd be willing to buy one if you made 2 straps ;)

Apr 29, 2020 - 6:17:42 PM

484 posts since 6/2/2011

You might contact El Dorado Straps they make snake shin and other exotic skin strap and they make banjo straps.

Apr 30, 2020 - 7:05:40 AM

3190 posts since 5/29/2011

Ken Harper in Tifton, GA used to advertise straps that he made. I don't know if he is still making them but you might contact him via the Hangout and see.

Apr 30, 2020 - 7:48:47 AM

1362 posts since 11/21/2005

Thank you, Paul & Mark

May 3, 2020 - 4:51:49 PM
likes this

bubbalouie

Canada

13964 posts since 9/27/2007

Nothing could be cooler than a 'gator skin banjo strap! yes

Jun 2, 2020 - 11:49:20 AM
like this

1362 posts since 11/21/2005

I could not be happier! Had the strap commissioned by Advanced Leather in Saginaw, MI. He did an amazing job.




Jun 2, 2020 - 11:53:34 AM

1362 posts since 11/21/2005

quote:
Originally posted by Texaspaul

You might contact El Dorado Straps they make snake shin and other exotic skin strap and they make banjo straps.


Hi Paul - I tried them based on your post, but they make them in batches from house-purchased leathers and couldn't do the custom work. They recommended I go on etsy, which is where I found Advanced Leather. I really appreciate the recommendation.

Jun 2, 2020 - 12:02:39 PM
likes this

55075 posts since 12/14/2005

quote:
Originally posted by Texaspaul

You might contact El Dorado Straps they make snake skin and other exotic skin strap and they make banjo straps.


Reminds me of the rather old joke about the guy who had a live snake as a belt.

NON-venomous, of course.

Only problem was, every time the snake yawned, his pants fell down.

Jun 2, 2020 - 12:34:13 PM
likes this

484 posts since 6/2/2011

I am happy you were able to find someone to do the work for you.

Jun 2, 2020 - 12:54:51 PM

Banjo Lefty

Canada

1917 posts since 6/19/2014

Nice looking belt.

How big was the gator?

Jun 2, 2020 - 2:08:32 PM
likes this

ChunoTheDog

Canada

241 posts since 8/9/2019

thats beautiful!

Jun 2, 2020 - 3:06:11 PM

1362 posts since 11/21/2005

quote:
Originally posted by Banjo Lefty

Nice looking strap (had to, sorry!)

How big was the gator?


 

Thanks! It was 12'. We ate it and gave away meat to friends, of course. 

Jun 2, 2020 - 3:32:17 PM

Banjo Lefty

Canada

1917 posts since 6/19/2014

What did you do with the rest of the hide?

Jun 2, 2020 - 3:43:34 PM

1362 posts since 11/21/2005

quote:
Originally posted by Banjo Lefty

What did you do with the rest of the hide?



It was divided between me and a friend. I just wanted a belt and some extra hide (which became this strap). My friend wanted belts, boots, etc. Most of that stuff is just too expensive and not of interest to me so he got the lion's share. I'm a meat hunter so it didn't hurt me too badly ??

Jun 2, 2020 - 6:17:04 PM

1362 posts since 11/21/2005

quote:
Originally posted by ChunoTheDog

thats beautiful!


Thank you, Chuno. I truly wish I had enough for another strap so I could get one in your hands too. Didn't know how much would be left, but it appears he used the majority of it.

Jun 4, 2020 - 10:40:16 AM
likes this

ChunoTheDog

Canada

241 posts since 8/9/2019

quote:
Originally posted by BigRedWarEagle
quote:
Originally posted by ChunoTheDog

thats beautiful!


Thank you, Chuno. I truly wish I had enough for another strap so I could get one in your hands too. Didn't know how much would be left, but it appears he used the majority of it.


No worries at all! I will however have to find myself one eventually because yours is absolutely stunning! Big fan 

Jun 4, 2020 - 11:27:26 AM
likes this
Players Union Member

DC5

USA

12165 posts since 6/30/2015

John, that is one purty strap. Alligator season doesn't open here in New England until 50-75 years from now so it'll be awhile before I can get one.

NOTE: Every now and then some yahoo with an illegal pet gator lets it go and it is found in some pond somewhere wreaking havoc. If it isn't caught it never survives the winter, which is just cruel. If it's caught and killed, or just killed the animal rights people are all up in arms. You should have seen the uproar when a moose in the city of Framingham, Massachusetts had to be shot several years ago.

Jun 4, 2020 - 1:16:45 PM
likes this

384 posts since 3/27/2010

Very cool strap!

Jun 4, 2020 - 4:29:02 PM

1362 posts since 11/21/2005

quote:
Originally posted by DC5

John, that is one purty strap. Alligator season doesn't open here in New England until 50-75 years from now so it'll be awhile before I can get one.

NOTE: Every now and then some yahoo with an illegal pet gator lets it go and it is found in some pond somewhere wreaking havoc. If it isn't caught it never survives the winter, which is just cruel. If it's caught and killed, or just killed the animal rights people are all up in arms. You should have seen the uproar when a moose in the city of Framingham, Massachusetts had to be shot several years ago.


Ha! 50-75 years?? Put in for the tag now and you should get drawn right about then ??

Jun 4, 2020 - 4:30 PM
likes this

1362 posts since 11/21/2005

quote:
Originally posted by ChunoTheDog
quote:
Originally posted by BigRedWarEagle
quote:
Originally posted by ChunoTheDog

thats beautiful!


Thank you, Chuno. I truly wish I had enough for another strap so I could get one in your hands too. Didn't know how much would be left, but it appears he used the majority of it.


No worries at all! I will however have to find myself one eventually because yours is absolutely stunning! Big fan 


Thanks man! If I get another one I'll look you up!

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.2646484