Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Banjo Lovers Online

Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!

Page:  First Page   1  2  3   Last Page (3) 

Jan 23, 2020 - 7:07:19 PM
like this

53437 posts since 12/14/2005

Here's the song I wrote, for someone else, before I had MINE.
======================

Well, they stone ya so that you can't even walk!
And they stone ya so it's even hard to talk.
And they stone like a knife, for what it's worth!
And they stone ya like a man who's giving birth!

You're gonna howl and scream and groooooan!
Everybody hates a kidney stone!

Well they stone ya when they sneak up on ya, quiet.
And you'll wish you'd watched your exercise and diet.
And you'll holler out some obscene nouns and verbs,
And you'll beg your friends for ointments, pills, or herbs.

You'll try reach out by the Internet, or phoooooone!

Now, the pain will make you nervous and afraid!
And you might reach out for hardened lemonade.
And your doctor may suggest lithotripsy,
And it ain't easy finding rhymes for lithotripsy!

At least you know you're not out there, aloooone!
================================

Jan 23, 2020 - 7:13:12 PM
likes this

chuckv97

Canada

46457 posts since 10/5/2013

Good one, Mike.
Thanks everyone for your well wishes, stories, tall tales and Hugh-mour. Just hit me on the head and feed me to the lions....

Jan 23, 2020 - 7:57:59 PM
likes this

87 posts since 6/26/2006

I don't see a date on this post; if you're still dealing with passage from the bladder out, you're in good shape as there is no further pain after the stone comes down the ureter from the kidney. {95% of the time...}
If and when this happens again and you needs go to a hospital, ask or insist on a non-narcotic shot of "Toradol". You will be seen faster and out of pain in minutes. I've had a few stones and was amazed the first time this was given. I was like "...give me the strong stuff doc, I'm dying here!" Do ask the doc' for any up to date treatment for your kind of chemistry etc...

Jan 23, 2020 - 9:05:39 PM
likes this

donc

Canada

6143 posts since 2/9/2010

My neighbour had one. They hit it with an ultrasonic frequency that cracked it into several smaller pieces. I don't think a banjo would produce such frequencies but ... ? My neighbour was quiet angry because afterwards the doctor told him that the ultrasound sometimes didn't do a complete job and could require more work later on.

Jan 24, 2020 - 2:22:06 AM
likes this
Players Union Member

Chris Meakin

Australia

2655 posts since 5/15/2011

Sorry to hear Chuck. The only experience I have of them is visiting a mate (who hailed from Battle Creek, MI) and finding him writhing on the kitchen floor. This was back in 1980. I rang the ambulance and they arrived in minutes and gave him a shot of Morphine which seemed to do the trick, then carted him off to hospital. He reckoned it was the worst pain he'd ever suffered,

I've never had one, but I do drink quite a lot of water. Easily down two litres just in 7-8 hours at the office desk, plus a similar amount before and after. That may help avoid them? Ask your doc.

Jan 24, 2020 - 6:58:26 AM
likes this

2386 posts since 10/9/2011

I've never had one but as an OR nurse I worked on a LOT of urology cases, including bladder stones.
One way or another the stone HAS to come out,sooner rather than later. They can continue to grow in the bladder and get amazingly large. If they obstruct the urethra, it's a medical emergency.
Start straining your urine,especially if you feel like you're trying to pass the stone. Stones can be composed of varying materials and analysis of the stone can help recommendations for future treatment.
ESWL,or Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy is a relatively non invasive way to break up the stone from the outside. Another alternative is laser lithotripsy which involves passing an instrument and a laser fiber into the bladder under anesthesia. Both methods can break the stone into pieces small enough to pass.
Down the road, you'll want to become good friends with your urologist and be checked periodically for new stones forming in the kidney or ureter. Good luck.

Jan 24, 2020 - 7:15:37 AM

chuckv97

Canada

Thanks for the info, brewerpaul.

Jan 24, 2020 - 1:06:13 PM

9013 posts since 8/22/2006

All this stone talk must have been pre ordained. Because I got to have a third lithotripsy this Tuesday yep my stone is stuck at the junction of the kidney and tube going into the bladder. 6mm by 9mm to big to pass. If it wasn’t elongated then maybe it would just flush on out. This stone was in my kidney at the time of my last procedure back in Nov. 2017. So it wasn’t a surprise but I didn’t see anymore on today’s X-ray and my new urologist didn’t mention any either.

Jan 24, 2020 - 1:17:59 PM
likes this

chuckv97

Canada

Sheesh, 5-B. You get in almost right away. I guess cuz I’m new I have to wait 2 1/2 weeks. I’m heading back to Cowtown tmrrw morning. Maybe my doc can pull a few strings to get this puppy blown up.

Jan 24, 2020 - 1:54:46 PM
likes this

116 posts since 3/25/2016

Chuck, 

Good luck with your stone(s) -- I hope any pain is well-managed.  I suffered dozens of fractures in a motorcycle crash, then after 37 shots of Demerol in ICU, was sent home with Talwin, a synthetic morphine that prevented me from focusing my eyes.  A year later, for my big kidney stone, that Talwin barely touched the stone pain--I was still curled in a ball on the floor, tears flooding down my cheeks, but at least the screaming had stopped!

That biggest stone was a 10-millimeter monster dragged out with a catheter basket, too low in the pelvis and too large to zap with microwaves as various organs would've been liquified, per the doctors.  The not-so-pleasant answer was the catheter deal, but even that was better than open abdominal surgery.  A very scary bloody-urine episode two weeks later (healed internal injuries from the catheter), but otherwise a successful rodeo, and no recurrence.

Water should help, subject as someone else said, to the mysteries of an individual's chemistry ...

Jan 24, 2020 - 2:37:54 PM

chuckv97

Canada

Clay, that’s some compelling stuff you went through. I’m hoping they can zap it,, otherwise the basket I guess.

Jan 24, 2020 - 2:49:50 PM
likes this

Owen

Canada

4773 posts since 6/5/2011

...tongue-in-cheek, Chuck: "This too shall pass."   devil     Go get 'em!  

Edited by - Owen on 01/24/2020 14:58:44

Jan 24, 2020 - 4:55:36 PM
likes this

9013 posts since 8/22/2006

kidney stone
So much pain I cry out for my mother
Kidney stone
will I ever recover
Got a picture of my kidney stone.

Jan 24, 2020 - 8:56:41 PM
like this

Cyndy

USA

623 posts since 3/2/2010

Sounds horrible. I hope the ordeal is over soon.

I had one some years ago. The pain was bad and the pain medication made me vomit before it kicked in and let me sleep. I can't remember how many days I agonized in bed, drinking ginger ale by the 2-liter bottles, but I was amazed at how quickly I felt better after it was gone.

What I do remember, though, is that I was taking a fiddle improvisation class at the Old Town School of Folk Music at the time and the tune we were working on was "In the Pines." Funny--the musical associations we have.

Jan 24, 2020 - 9:07:08 PM

chuckv97

Canada

Hope it rolls right out o’ here...Wow, Cyndy, you had it rough.  Mine was really painful for only a few hours as it traveled down to the bladder. 
youtu.be/A6Y8fQpEI28

Edited by - chuckv97 on 01/24/2020 21:09:13

Jan 25, 2020 - 1:26:50 AM
likes this
Players Union Member

Eric A

USA

394 posts since 10/15/2019

quote:
Originally posted by Cyndy

Sounds horrible. I hope the ordeal is over soon.

I had one some years ago. The pain was bad and the pain medication made me vomit before it kicked in and let me sleep. I can't remember how many days I agonized in bed, drinking ginger ale by the 2-liter bottles, but I was amazed at how quickly I felt better after it was gone.

What I do remember, though, is that I was taking a fiddle improvisation class at the Old Town School of Folk Music at the time and the tune we were working on was "In the Pines." Funny--the musical associations we have.

My wife still associates the chariot races from Ben Hur with being in labor.  The movie was on in the hospital room as things really got rolling.  That boy is 28 years old now, but we still think of that whenever that movie comes on.

Jan 26, 2020 - 6:30:09 AM
likes this

2386 posts since 10/9/2011

Couple of things based on some recent posts...
Just because they don't show on x-rays doesn't mean they're not there. Some stone materials are radiolucent and just don't show up.
Dragging a 1cm stone out through the ureter is brutal. In addition to ESWL, those stones can usually be shattered with a laser. There are ureteroscopes thin enough to pass all the way up to the kidney (under anesthesia!) carrying a thin laser fiber which can blast the stone. It's amazing technology and fascinating to watch.

maestro-portal.eu/procedure/detail/3

Jan 26, 2020 - 6:41:31 AM

chuckv97

Canada

Mine is sitting in my bladder. Ive been eating dates, drinking lots of water, pomegranate juice , ACV, olive oil , lemon juice, and I couldn’t find pure gold coin grass but bought a tincture that contains it as one of the ingredients. I’m hoping it will soften and/or dissolve somewhat so that I can pass it. I’m on my way back to Calgary,,should be there tmrrw evening and see the doc Tuesday.

Edited by - chuckv97 on 01/26/2020 06:44:44

Jan 26, 2020 - 6:42:08 AM

RonR

USA

1582 posts since 11/29/2012

I had them once. It was the most painful thing I ever experienced. I passed them after they went in from the short end with some sort of wire.

Jan 26, 2020 - 6:48:06 AM
Players Union Member

OM45GE

USA

93290 posts since 11/7/2007

One of my former female coworkers said passing a kidney stone was worse than childbirth. I’ve never done either and hope not to.

Jan 26, 2020 - 2:30:44 PM

1191 posts since 11/3/2008

Ive had two removed surgically. I also have large stones imbedded in my kidney's . They are no fun. 2 worst pains I've had so far kidney stones and gout. They are related. Poor kidney function.

Feb 3, 2020 - 4:06:44 PM

116 posts since 3/25/2016

Dennis, Clay here again.  I've had some trouble with gout and was very interested as a geologist, in the gout mineralogy.  The gout chemistry forms needle-shaped ("acicular") crystals in joints, particularly the large joint of the first toe.  Excruciatingly painful, as the crystal shape would suggest.  Fortunately, a drug called Allopurinol does a fine job of controlling that blood chemistry (and with no discernable side effects in my case).  I have had no gout episodes in years using that medicine.

Feb 3, 2020 - 9:10:41 PM

3875 posts since 10/18/2007

A friend of mine dissolved his stones by drinking lemon juice (I assume diluted in water). That's all I know--I'm the opposite of an expert.

Feb 3, 2020 - 9:14 PM
likes this

chuckv97

Canada

Michael,,that’s what I’ve been drinking, along with pomegranate juice and apple cider vinegar. I get the results of my ultrasound tmrrw, so we’ll see how big it still is and/or if it’s dissolved or broken up.

Feb 4, 2020 - 3:05:12 AM
likes this
Players Union Member

OM45GE

USA

93290 posts since 11/7/2007

Fingers crossed for you Chuck

Page:  First Page   1  2  3   Last Page (3) 

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories