Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Banjo Lovers Online

"Little Maggie"-- Question

Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!

Page:  First Page   1  2

Dec 29, 2019 - 8:26:07 AM

1529 posts since 2/10/2013

We're talking about the "B" string right ? Some people count strings differently. I use minor pentatonic licks a lot for that tune. The minor pentatonic scales uses a Bb. One of my banjo instructional books advises the reader playing minor pentatonic licks to the playing the open "B" string at all cost. The Bb is used instead.

Learning some minor pentatonic licks can be useful. G. Hohwald has an instructional. The benefits far outweigh the effort it takes to learn them. They will make you sound better than your really are. They add a bluesy flavor to a musical lick. Tunes like "Brother Where Art Thou" are full of them.

Dec 29, 2019 - 8:51:13 AM
Players Union Member

Eric A

USA

407 posts since 10/15/2019

I had kind of forgotten about this thread, but now I want to add this.

Here's the Bluegrass Boys doing Little Maggie on the stage of the Grand Old Opry at a time when Ralph and Carter were still sitting by their radios trying to figure out what those guys were doing.

youtube.com/watch?v=0XFM0d58kq0

Dec 29, 2019 - 9:25:59 AM
Players Union Member

Eric A

USA

407 posts since 10/15/2019

Omg. Earl used to just burn it down on every tune. I'd say from '45 thru '53 ish. From there on, they were all trying to find a way to sell records against Elvis, et al, or later trying to sell records into the folk boom.

It's like a big thunderstorm. That first big boom was Earl with Bill. Then a downpour. Then that last big boom of Benny Martin with Earl.

Page:  First Page   1  2

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories