Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

346
Banjo Lovers Online


Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!
Nov 12, 2019 - 4:05:15 PM
like this
29609 posts since 3/5/2008

I can afford Premium Paper Plates..
N ..silver coated plasticwear....

Um..
Ware..?


Well ..annahows there's ah song to be written there..

Please give ah poke at the lyrics...



Keep life simple kinda theme..

Nov 12, 2019 - 4:55:54 PM
like this

9105 posts since 2/22/2007

"we're not the jet set but at least the Chinet set" ; >

Nov 12, 2019 - 4:56:58 PM
like this

9105 posts since 2/22/2007

"I've had no gold in this life but I've got silver on my plastic knife"

Nov 12, 2019 - 5:29:17 PM
likes this

Wyozark

USA

878 posts since 12/2/2012

When I think back to when I was the sole bread-winner for a young family I was often frustrated when we ran out of paper towels; we really had no money to buy more until the next payday. Somehow we made it. Kids have been gone from home for years, but we often have the grand kids. Mrs. Wyozark thinks I'm going overboard when I buy those big multi-roll packs. It's cheaper that way I tell her. That might even be true. . .

Nov 12, 2019 - 8:19:57 PM
like this

figmo59

USA

29609 posts since 3/5/2008

Liz's Father..Frank..
Would come home from the Navy Exchange... with..HUGE.. JUGS of whiskey n wine...
Betty..Liz's mom....
Would go nutz....,!

Frank would just grin n..say...
Cheaper by the dozen..Mother....

Nov 13, 2019 - 4:44:40 AM
likes this

figmo59

USA

29609 posts since 3/5/2008

quote:
Originally posted by banjo bill-e

"I've had no gold in this life but I've got silver on my plastic knife"


That's pretty good... :0)

Nov 13, 2019 - 5:37:06 AM
like this

222 posts since 10/9/2017

“I’m the King down at the grocery ‘cause I pay cash in hand
And every single dollar comes from me, not Uncle Sam.
I’m eating meat for supper, I’ll fry it in my pan
Who cares if it’s not sirloin, it’s BOGO day on Spam!”

Nov 13, 2019 - 7:42:43 AM
likes this

figmo59

USA

29609 posts since 3/5/2008

We're havin fun now Remsleep
Good one!

Nov 13, 2019 - 9:00:49 AM

348 posts since 1/10/2013

Murphy Henry has a song called "My Everyday Silver is Plastic".

Nov 13, 2019 - 9:20:29 AM

9105 posts since 2/22/2007

When we got engaged some friends of my wife who thought that we would actually use fine china asked "what is your pattern?". My answer was Chinet, and I was not joking, but my wife had to act like I was.
Not very eco-friendly but I would be glad to eat off of quality paper plates and plasticware and just throw them away. But I limit that to the occasional picnic or meal on the boat or the even rarer camping trip.

Nov 13, 2019 - 2:22:45 PM
likes this

figmo59

USA

29609 posts since 3/5/2008

Geese...
I hope folks ain't fergot how ta have fun... :0/

Nov 13, 2019 - 4:35:36 PM
like this
Players Union Member

RV6

USA

1262 posts since 2/3/2012

quote:
Originally posted by Wyozark

When I think back to when I was the sole bread-winner for a young family I was often frustrated when we ran out of paper towels; we really had no money to buy more until the next payday. Somehow we made it. Kids have been gone from home for years, but we often have the grand kids. Mrs. Wyozark thinks I'm going overboard when I buy those big multi-roll packs. It's cheaper that way I tell her. That might even be true. . .


We've been married for 50 years.  She grew up on a ranch and I grew up in south central Nebraska in the cattle business.  I still tear paper towels in half.  My wife saves bread wrappers and plastic Coolwhip containers.   My oldest daughter scolded us once for using paper towels.  She has cut portions of cloth wash cloths that she launders.  I'm so proud. 

When you grow up in the cattle business, you never know from year to year what your income might be and you (we've) scrimped and saved so as to be able to "get by" when things don't go well.

We've been retired for several years but, old habits die hard.  We've our whole live  to scrimp and save for the future.  Well, the future is now and I guess we've saved enough to pass things on the the two daughters' but, it doesn't look like they'll need much help from us.  They both make more money than we ever did.

So, we're splurging.  We replaced the hailed out, 34 year old shake shingle roof (40 squares) this year and the 34 year old boiler.  It wasn't shot but, I figured at our age, we should have something more dependable to take us through the rough winter's here in the future.  I haven't burned wood in a stove for years.  I figured, one slip of the chain saw, and I wouldn't be saving much money (and I don't want to risk damage to my "musical" fingers.  I'm thinking more about buying a generator that will power the boiler, well and computer (so I can get on the Hangout).

We decided we can splurge and have my cataract and glaucoma problems solved and, by golly, I might just buy some new hearing aids to replace my 6 year old HA's.  The house improvements will help the kids when it's time to sell the house.  The eye and ear thing should improve the rest of my life.

Notice, I didn't say I was going to buy more banjos.  But, I did buy a fiddle 3 months ago.smiley  And, I'm having a blast earning the fiddle!  All of the years of sacrifice may finally be paying off (except, perhaps, to the people listening).

Oh, to remain on topic, we don't use paper plates.  We use the same plates we've used for 50 years.  Hmm, they're probably antiques by now.   Maybe I can cash insmiley

Nov 13, 2019 - 4:48:19 PM
like this

donc

Canada

6092 posts since 2/9/2010

There is this cute little coffee shop nearby where mother earth is given great respect. There are no wooden stirring sticks for the coffee. One tree would likely supply stir sticks for all of Canada for a year or more. The shop provides a regular metal spoon for each customer to stir their coffee. After the spoon has been used it is likely placed into a dishwasher filled with hot water and dishwashing soap which will all likely go down the drain a few minutes later. Something is now wrong with this demonstration.

Nov 13, 2019 - 6:11:55 PM
likes this

Wyozark

USA

878 posts since 12/2/2012

Bob's comments are the best thing I've read today!

So proud of you! Fiddle Away!


Nov 13, 2019 - 6:16:57 PM
likes this

9105 posts since 2/22/2007

"Silver spoons, company's coming
get out the good plates
fire up the oven
supper's done, throw it all away
no time for washing
there's banjos to play!"


That's the best I can do, Al.

Nov 14, 2019 - 6:49:12 AM

figmo59

USA

29609 posts since 3/5/2008

Bill...
You dooin great!

Life is good..
Havin fun in life is better..

Havin fun with others ..is the best..

Nov 14, 2019 - 6:54:46 AM

figmo59

USA

29609 posts since 3/5/2008

I perfur paper plates...

Makes life feel like one giant pickahnick....
N....
This time of year I git ta burn the dishes..fer the heat... ;0)..

Nov 14, 2019 - 7:33:52 AM

mander

USA

3871 posts since 10/7/2007

My Dad once famously said, "Anyone who can afford toilet paper shouldn't consider themselves poor."

 

Erma Bombeck famously claimed that when she got engaged to be married, she registered for Dixie plates.

Edited by - mander on 11/14/2019 07:37:45

Nov 14, 2019 - 7:45:54 AM
like this

222 posts since 10/9/2017

I'm home fighting a cold. I sneezed and this came out:

The Paper Plate Waltz*

On my table’s no porcelain,
No silver, no gold
I’ve got nothing shiny, expensive and old
No Swedish designers
On that you can bet
I don’t eat off Wedgwood, I eat off Chinet.

Chorus:

And my darling and me
We live fancy free
Making love by the fire
There’s no cable TV
Our life isn’t perfect
It sure has it’s faults
But we dance to the tune of the Paper Plate Waltz

Now we couldn’t afford
To live in the city
But people there tell me that life’s pretty ... bad
And we like what we’ve got
It’s pretty good life
Cutting bologna with a used plastic knife.

Chorus…

Now the environmentalists
Surely will fret
At the huge carbon footprint of our dining set
But we don’t send our waste
To be landfilled or burned
We turn it to compost and it’s eaten by worms

Chorus...

*All rights reserved by the author









 

Edited by - Remsleep on 11/14/2019 07:46:33

Nov 15, 2019 - 5:03:05 AM

figmo59

USA

29609 posts since 3/5/2008

Now this is the ki da thing I was L ookin fer...
Great job!

Was hoping folks here would use thier limrick noodles..
N have fun at it......

Nov 15, 2019 - 5:06:25 AM
likes this

figmo59

USA

29609 posts since 3/5/2008

quote:
Originally posted by Remsleep

I'm home fighting a cold. I sneezed and this came out:

The Paper Plate Waltz*

On my table’s no porcelain,
No silver, no gold
I’ve got nothing shiny, expensive and old
No Swedish designers
On that you can bet
I don’t eat off Wedgwood, I eat off Chinet.

Chorus:

And my darling and me
We live fancy free
Making love by the fire
There’s no cable TV
Our life isn’t perfect
It sure has it’s faults
But we dance to the tune of the Paper Plate Waltz

Now we couldn’t afford
To live in the city
But people there tell me that life’s pretty ... bad
And we like what we’ve got
It’s pretty good life
Cutting bologna with a used plastic knife.

Chorus…

Now the environmentalists
Surely will fret
At the huge carbon footprint of our dining set
But we don’t send our waste
To be landfilled or burned
We turn it to compost and it’s eaten by worms

Chorus...

*All rights reserved by the author









 


Fantastic job! :0)

Nov 15, 2019 - 5:09:55 AM
likes this

figmo59

USA

29609 posts since 3/5/2008

Liz here:
That's *really* good!
Now, whos6gonna set it to music...

Nov 15, 2019 - 11:05:51 AM

222 posts since 10/9/2017

quote:
Originally posted by figmo59

Liz here:
That's *really* good!
Now, whos6gonna set it to music...


I'm strictly lyrics, but I really feel like it needs a mando part.

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.296875