Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

1140
Banjo Lovers Online


Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!
Oct 22, 2019 - 1:31:50 PM
5 posts since 10/22/2019

I am a senior and just purchased this banjo to fulfill a decades old desire to learn to play. The only instrument that I have played are the drums in high school because my teacher told my parents I didn't have musical bone in my body.
I have signed up for lesson starting Nov 7. Should I wait until taking a lesson before trying to play?
I have watched a slew of videos and find they are too fast in trying to get you to practice. Not enough focus on finger position

Oct 22, 2019 - 6:00:25 PM

127 posts since 10/8/2018

Jim, if you live in London ON you really need to meet the great plectrum and tenor player Bill Stewart... he’s just the guy to get you started!

Oct 22, 2019 - 7:52:30 PM
likes this

6247 posts since 8/28/2013

November & is not really very far off. I think I'd wait to play until then, lest you start on the wrong foot, holding the banjo wrong, holding the pick wrong, or tuning wrong.

I detest teachers who so glibly tell a student they have no musical bones. It's rarely true. One of my college acquaintances was told she could never be a singer; she now with an opera company and is quite successful. Also, whether you bel;iev it or not, there is a lot of musical knowlege involved with drums.

Have fun with your dream project. It'sonly a little sad that you waited so long to take up the banjo.

Oct 23, 2019 - 3:48:02 AM

313 posts since 2/16/2014

Roadapplered
Hi Jim,
Welcome to the world of banjo. Likely you’ll become obsessed and addicted to this wonderful instrument and when you’re not playing it you’ll be thinking about it. Learning an instrument takes a lot of work and time, there will be times when that horrible thought will pass through your mind that you don’t have any musical ability and you’ll want to give up. Press on, eating an elephant is one bit at a time (I’m not suggesting that elephants should be eaten, just hyperbole).
Why the banjo? What music do you listen to? Do you have a favorite player?

Oct 23, 2019 - 8:57:26 AM

Roadapplered

Canada

5 posts since 10/22/2019

Hi Mike; Thanks for the words of encouragement. I like all kinds of music. A few of my favourites in the banjo field are: I am a man of constant sorrow, alexanders ragtime band, foggy mountain breakdown, Ashokan farewell, maria elena, Scotland the brave, alte kameradan, etc.
A friend has a five string banjo and has been suggesting things to me such as keeping the banjo out of the case so it is handy to pick at moments notice and play. Jim

Oct 23, 2019 - 9:00:58 AM

Roadapplered

Canada

5 posts since 10/22/2019

quote:
Originally posted by G Edward Porgie

November & is not really very far off. I think I'd wait to play until then, lest you start on the wrong foot, holding the banjo wrong, holding the pick wrong, or tuning wrong.

I detest teachers who so glibly tell a student they have no musical bones. It's rarely true. One of my college acquaintances was told she could never be a singer; she now with an opera company and is quite successful. Also, whether you bel;iev it or not, there is a lot of musical knowlege involved with drums.

Have fun with your dream project. It'sonly a little sad that you waited so long to take up the banjo.


Oct 23, 2019 - 9:02:08 AM

Roadapplered

Canada

5 posts since 10/22/2019

Thanks for your reply Edward; I decided to give it a try despite that teacher. Yes it is too bad I waited so long.

Oct 23, 2019 - 9:03:55 AM

Roadapplered

Canada

5 posts since 10/22/2019

quote:
Originally posted by guitarbanjoman

Jim, if you live in London ON you really need to meet the great plectrum and tenor player Bill Stewart... he’s just the guy to get you started!


Yes I do live in London.  I will see what I can do about contacting him.  I do have a lesson set up with Andrew Somerville.  Do you know of him?

Oct 23, 2019 - 9:20:27 AM
likes this

6247 posts since 8/28/2013

quote:
Originally posted by Roadapplered

Thanks for your reply Edward; I decided to give it a try despite that teacher. Yes it is too bad I waited so long.


You are welcome. I do apologize for all the typos, though. "&" should have been "7." The word "believe" also came out a bit oddly. I guess I was a bit tired.

I do wish you ultimate success, and that you aren't easily discouraged when you hit a barrier or two. Barriers are inevitable, but they can be overcome. Just when you are most frustrated, you may find that suddenly something works and you're on your way upward again. Playing and gaining skill is rarely a linear process and is more step-like, which can make it seem intimidating at times. Just keep at it!

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.1601563