Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Banjo Lovers Online

Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!
Sep 17, 2019 - 9:22:21 AM
1 posts since 11/21/2011

Hey, I'm curious what distinguishes 'rapping' within overhand banjo playing. In this video ( Mike Seeger says that Uncle Dave Macon is obviously rapping in Railroadin' and Gamblin.' All I can find online is that clawhammer banjo is sometimes called rapping, however there must be something that distinguishes the two.

Sep 17, 2019 - 9:40:27 AM

1466 posts since 6/2/2010

Just a guess but I would think rapping is when someone specifically raps the head to make a drum sound using either their thumb or fingers. I have seen it done both ways and I love the way it sounds.

Sep 17, 2019 - 12:05:01 PM

3731 posts since 10/13/2005

To rapp or not to rapp – one more tool in the CH shed. banjered

Sep 17, 2019 - 12:33 PM
like this

Bill Rogers (Moderator)


22575 posts since 6/25/2005

No difference. It’s simply one of the several regional or even personal terms for the style. And no, there are no generally accepted clearly delimited terms for various approaches to overhand downstroke (non-minstrel) playing styles. Discussions have been going on for years. See, e.g.

Sep 18, 2019 - 1:01:12 PM
like this

3641 posts since 5/12/2010

Some of the older people I knew called the style of playing I use "Rapping", and others called the same style "Thumping".

"Clawhammer" is a more modern name used to lump a good many different, some quite different, old time down picking styles into the same bucket, so doesn't really have enough meaning to define whatever style one plays.

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories