Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Banjo Lovers Online

Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!

Page:  First Page   1  2  3   Last Page (3) 

Sep 18, 2019 - 6:00:39 AM

921 posts since 12/2/2013

Perceptive observation Glen.

Sep 18, 2019 - 6:57:24 AM

70299 posts since 5/9/2007

I'll take whatever Ken Burns puts out there.I'm sure Mom and Dad (piano and pedal steel,guitar and banjo) would have loved it.

Sep 18, 2019 - 9:01:15 AM
like this

mander

USA

3867 posts since 10/7/2007

quote:
Originally posted by jan dupree

Yeah, I watched it, watching it tonight. It is interesting that the banjo was more popular than the guitar in Country music in the beginning. Today the banjo is not even allowed.

No worries. We shall over come!

Sep 18, 2019 - 9:12:54 AM

1316 posts since 2/10/2013

In the CD "Legacy" David Holt and Doc Watson play duets. And, David has a discussion with Doc about his (i.e. Doc's) early playing days and his career. During the discussion Doc mentions that the most popular records sold during his youth were Blues tunes. In addition, Doc remembers that there were a lot more banjos being played than guitars. And David compliments Doc's banjo playing by saying Doc is a better banjo players than he is.

"Legend" is a great CD. Great music and a very enjoyable conversation to listen to. Multiple CDs and excellent listening during longer car trips. Even if you don't play a stringed instrument.

Sep 18, 2019 - 10:59 AM
likes this

1902 posts since 1/16/2010

I caught the second episode last night by chance....I thought it was funny that as soon as they introduced Earl Scruggs and started talking about him and his playing style and how different it was from the traditional clawhammer/mountain style...the first piece of bluegrass 3 finger style music they started playing, they were showing a bunch of mountain folk dancing around with an old man playing an old open back banjo clawhammer style.....it didn't line up with the Scruggs style being played.

Still an interesting and enjoyable watch.

Dow

Sep 18, 2019 - 11:45:18 AM

361 posts since 1/28/2013

quote:
Originally posted by Texican65

I caught the second episode last night by chance....I thought it was funny that as soon as they introduced Earl Scruggs and started talking about him and his playing style and how different it was from the traditional clawhammer/mountain style...the first piece of bluegrass 3 finger style music they started playing, they were showing a bunch of mountain folk dancing around with an old man playing an old open back banjo clawhammer style.....it didn't line up with the Scruggs style being played.

Still an interesting and enjoyable watch.

Dow

They did mention that Scruggs was not the first 3 finger player. I would'nt have thought they would have gotten that detailed.

Sep 18, 2019 - 1:33:18 PM

donc

Canada

6061 posts since 2/9/2010

They did mention the at the first 3 finger player in history did not have the use of all his fingers. I forgot who that was. Last night had a large segment on Hank Williams. Other than some brief years of fame and fortune he had quite a miserable short life.

Sep 18, 2019 - 5:14:01 PM
likes this

The 4th installment is just starting.Good piece on Johnny Cash.

Sep 18, 2019 - 6:47:09 PM

donc

Canada

Thanks Steve. We don't see 8:00pm for another 1 hour and 15 mins. I'll be there for Cash.

Sep 18, 2019 - 10:02:50 PM
like this

8948 posts since 8/22/2006

Watched tonight’s episode and I have come to a conclusion. Patsy Cline and Elvis had something in common. Their voices were so unique and distinctive from other singers that you knew who was singing within the first few notes of a song. Patsy died way to soon and there is no telling how many more hits she could have had. I miss her.

Sep 19, 2019 - 8:17:48 AM

donc

Canada

It has been well worth watching. I almost never watch a full 2 hours of anything on TV. For these two episodes I sat for the whole 2 hours enjoying every bit of it.

Sep 19, 2019 - 6:23:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by donc

They did mention the at the first 3 finger player in history did not have the use of all his fingers. I forgot who that was. Last night had a large segment on Hank Williams. Other than some brief years of fame and fortune he had quite a miserable short life.

It was Charlie Poole. I thought they would have covered him more.

Sep 19, 2019 - 6:31:32 PM
likes this

quote:
Originally posted by 5B-Ranch

Watched tonight’s episode and I have come to a conclusion. Patsy Cline and Elvis had something in common. Their voices were so unique and distinctive from other singers that you knew who was singing within the first few notes of a song. Patsy died way to soon and there is no telling how many more hits she could have had. I miss her.

You can thank her Manager for that. He flew the plane right into the ground. It was about as bad a Pilot Error as it gets.

Sep 19, 2019 - 6:33:07 PM
likes this

quote:
Originally posted by donc

It was Charlie Poole. He drank himself to death at age 35.

Sep 20, 2019 - 9:53:56 AM
likes this
Players Union Member

Tommy5

USA

3410 posts since 2/22/2009

quote:
quote:

You can thank her Manager for that. He flew the plane right into the ground. It was about as bad a Pilot Error as it gets.

Exactly ,how is her manager using a twin engine plane for transportation purposes and he doesn’t even have a IFR pilot license?  The death of buddy holly was a similar fiasco. When I owned a Cessna 172 , I only flew VFR and between November and March I was barely able to fly a few days a month as low clouds and rain mean very few trips . Even with a instrument rating, private planes aren’t reliable forms of transportation as  the weather causes constant delays. Patsy flight was initially delayed because of the weather ,maybe it should have been delayed another day. John F Kennedy jr. plane crash was just as tragic and avoidable. Taking off into the night , in haze, over the ocean using VFR only, it’s a alomost suicidal. It’s not like the multimillionaire didn’t have the cash to charter a flight.

Sep 20, 2019 - 9:11:01 PM
likes this

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy5
quote:
quote:

Exactly ,how is her manager using a twin engine plane for transportation purposes and he doesn’t even have a IFR pilot license?  The death of buddy holly was a similar fiasco. When I owned a Cessna 172 , I only flew VFR and between November and March I was barely able to fly a few days a month as low clouds and rain mean very few trips . Even with a instrument rating, private planes aren’t reliable forms of transportation as  the weather causes constant delays. Patsy flight was initially delayed because of the weather ,maybe it should have been delayed another day. John F Kennedy jr. plane crash was just as tragic and avoidable. Taking off into the night , in haze, over the ocean using VFR only, it’s a alomost suicidal. It’s not like the multimillionaire didn’t have the cash to charter a flight.

It was a single engine Commanche. They stopped along the way at the Dyersburg TN Airport.  and were told there not to continue. The Airport Manager even offered free Hotel rooms and meals. But they refused, and they took off anyway. When the plane crossed the Tennessee River headed east, it entered thick clouds made worse by the river.  It banked right into a descent, banked right again, and ended up headed north continuing the descent. When the clouds cleared, the Pilot gave full throttle for a climb but it was too late. One wing clipped a tree at 175 mph at 30 feet, made a half spin and the other wing also clipped a tree. The plane inverted, all were killed instantly. Jim Reeves did the same thing. Both Pilots were trained by the same Instructor.

Sep 20, 2019 - 9:48:27 PM
Players Union Member

Tommy5

USA

The country program showed a twin taking off so I foolishly assumed that was Patsy plane. Jim Reeves was my dads favorite country singer, I grew up listening to his records being played endlessly by my dad,. I think I still know most of his tunes and lyrics by heart even though I never consciously tried to memorize them,. Earl Scruggs also crashed his plane and was lucky to survive . Nowadays with GPS and digital instruments , pilots should know where they are and their altitudes and attitudes at all times but pilots still crash too often.

Sep 21, 2019 - 10:36:29 AM
like this

quote:

The country program showed a twin taking off so I foolishly assumed that was Patsy plane. Jim Reeves was my dads favorite country singer, I grew up listening to his records being played endlessly by my dad,. I think I still know most of his tunes and lyrics by heart even though I never consciously tried to memorize them,. Earl Scruggs also crashed his plane and was lucky to survive . Nowadays with GPS and digital instruments , pilots should know where they are and their altitudes and attitudes at all times but pilots still crash too often.

The Patsy Cline Movie was totally inaccurate as far as the crash. The Producers out of respect for the family changed everything. They did'nt show the prior warnings from Airport Officials, or the weather conditions, they did'nt show his inexperience. They had the plane lose power and altitude. When the nose dipped down it showed them headed for trees, but the engine regained power. It then showed the Pilot execute some expert maneuver and avoided the trees, and leveling out the plane. It even went as far as showing Hawkins patting the Pilot on the shoulder, and telling him what a good Pilot he was. Then a Mountain appeared, and they crashed into the side of it. None of that really happened. It was Pilot Spatial Disorientation, due to a Whiteout situation. I read the NTSB Report online 3 or 4 years ago.

Sep 21, 2019 - 11:35:12 AM
Players Union Member

Tommy5

USA

quote:
quote:

The Patsy Cline Movie was totally inaccurate as far as the crash. The Producers out of respect for the family changed everything. They did'nt show the prior warnings from Airport Officials, or the weather conditions, they did'nt show his inexperience. They had the plane lose power and altitude. When the nose dipped down it showed them headed for trees, but the engine regained power. It then showed the Pilot execute some expert maneuver and avoided the trees, and leveling out the plane. It even went as far as showing Hawkins patting the Pilot on the shoulder, and telling him what a good Pilot he was. Then a Mountain appeared, and they crashed into the side of it. None of that really happened. It was Pilot Spatial Disorientation, due to a Whiteout situation. I read the NTSB Report online 3 or 4 years ago.

Yeah it’s remarkable the stupidity and hubris of a low time VFR pilot ignoring Airport Officials and pressing on into disaster. A few hours of intensive instrument training is all a pilot needs to avoid this outcome. It’s is impossible to fly straight and level in white out conditions using only your senses, using instruments of course is much easier and safer as long as you have the training to do so, If your going to use a plane for transportation you better at least have an ifr ticket. It also remarkable how many people think a plane is just a car with wings. When I had my plane a friend showed up with a refrigerator in his truck and asked me if I would strap it into the back seat of my C-172 and fly it to his son in college , he was furious when I refused , he said he could fit it into the  seat so why not? Cubs second basemen Ken Hubbs was another victim of low time pilot flying into the clouds and dying.

Sep 21, 2019 - 1:49:03 PM
likes this

quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah it’s remarkable the stupidity and hubris of a low time VFR pilot ignoring Airport Officials and pressing on into disaster. A few hours of intensive instrument training is all a pilot needs to avoid this outcome. It’s is impossible to fly straight and level in white out conditions using only your senses, using instruments of course is much easier and safer as long as you have the training to do so, If your going to use a plane for transportation you better at least have an ifr ticket. It also remarkable how many people think a plane is just a car with wings. When I had my plane a friend showed up with a refrigerator in his truck and asked me if I would strap it into the back seat of my C-172 and fly it to his son in college , he was furious when I refused , he said he could fit it into the  seat so why not? Cubs second basemen Ken Hubbs was another victim of low time pilot flying into the clouds and dying.

Private Citizens got to the crash site before any Rescue Officials. When a Deputy Sheriff arrived people had already removed personal items from the victims, as well as pieces of the plane. A couple  guys had the engine almost to their truck to load in the bed. One of Cline's dresses she performed in was returned 2 months later. Some of her jewelry was taken and never returned.

Edited by - jan dupree on 09/21/2019 13:49:39

Sep 21, 2019 - 2:02:28 PM
likes this

chuckv97

Canada

44236 posts since 10/5/2013

I remember seeing this photo of a Roger Miller at the crash site

Sep 22, 2019 - 8:39:53 AM
like this

quote:
Originally posted by chuckv97

I remember seeing this photo of a Roger Miller at the crash site

He went out looking for it on his own. He got there before any rescue crews.

Sep 22, 2019 - 10:31:56 AM
likes this

RB3

USA

542 posts since 4/12/2004

Below is a link to an interview in Variety with Peter Coyote, the narrator of the Ken Burns Country Music documentary.  Coyote provides a perspective on the documentary that some you might find interesting.

Peter Coyote Interview

Sep 22, 2019 - 1:44:08 PM

3854 posts since 11/29/2005

Great interview, Wayne - thanks for the link.

Sep 22, 2019 - 4:48:33 PM

Merle and Loretta will be on in a few minutes.They both performed on the IMUS in the Morning TV show.

Edited by - steve davis on 09/22/2019 16:50:08

Page:  First Page   1  2  3   Last Page (3) 

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories