Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Banjo Lovers Online

Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!

Page:  First Page   1  2

Sep 7, 2019 - 5:53:50 PM
likes this

93 posts since 4/10/2018
Online Now

Glad to see us all getting along! When I — folky revival guy that I am — was first introduced to the banjo it was via the 1963 and 1964 Newport Folk Festival with a whole host of pickers from all over the South and North. And Ireland. Pete Seeger and Mike Seeger promoted the banjo bigtime, but Dock Boggs, Frank Proffit, Hobart Smith, the Stanley Brothers, Bill Monroe were there along with the Clancey Brothers and Tommy Makem. And lots of folkies. In the 70‘s I remember Art Rosenbaum in particular promoting a variety of picking styles. Personally, I never had the time and finances to go and find the Masters seeing as I spent a few years in the US Army with a tour in Viet Nam followed by raising a family etc. Luckily for me I ran into some revivalists in Vermont and then in Virginia who taught me a few things. I never really heard Round Peak until the 2000‘s. I just heard Banjo! I suppose Grandpa Jones, Stringbean, and Roy Clark got me started first! The Banjo was music but really fun!

Sep 7, 2019 - 6:37:38 PM
Players Union Member

Helix1

USA

447 posts since 4/17/2019

I see that a certain 9 yr old Scruggs played his big brother’s banjo and scuffed it up by sitting on the ground

Everybody played what they had = hide head, dowel stick, open back, strap rims

Charlie Poole, the same

As a solo or ensemble, I frail during verses and 3-finger on choruses and solos

So?

Sep 12, 2019 - 3:18:40 PM

mjbrennan

Ireland

165 posts since 2/23/2011

Some terrific ideas and opinions expressed above. You guys sure know what you are talking about.
Thank you for your help.
Happy pickin',
Michael.

Sep 14, 2019 - 5:16:36 AM
likes this

2204 posts since 4/29/2012
Online Now

We're not helped by this forum being called "Clawhammer and Old-Time Styles". Even "Clawhammer and Other Old-Time Styles" would be better. Or why not just "Old-Time 5 string styles" ?. I'm not even a fan of the term Old-Time (and I cringe when I see it spelled Old Tyme). So my vote (assuming we're in a discussion which may end in a consensus that is acted on) is for "Traditional 5 string styles". We know it's still going to predominantly clawhammer. But at least the 2 finger, 3 finger and up pickers among us wouldn't be made to feel like poor relations.

Sep 14, 2019 - 5:52:38 AM
Players Union Member

Lew H

USA

2291 posts since 3/10/2008

Bluegrass has variants too: Scruggs style, single-string, etc. Those who pay attention distinguish between Scruggs and J.D. Crow styles, although I don't notice much difference. Then there's the jam grass, newgrass, and that Mark Johnson hybrid clawgrass (which is clawhammer!).

Sep 14, 2019 - 8:33:59 AM

8919 posts since 2/22/2007

AndrewD posted---" I'm not even a fan of the term Old-Time (and I cringe when I see it spelled Old Tyme)--"

Agreed. Old Tyme to me sounds like the men in straw hats and striped shirts strumming plectrums at Shakey's Pizza parlor (a distant American memory, Andrew). I have come to calling what I do "folk style banjo". But the reason why this is a persistent question for all of us is because the overwhelming public perception of "banjo" is Bluegrass Banjo and we feel the need to explain ourselves and are at a loss for effective terminology.

Sep 14, 2019 - 11:02:08 AM
like this
Players Union Member

Lew H

USA

2291 posts since 3/10/2008

My parents had 78 RPM records from the 20s and 30s that branded the music as "olde tyme." The recording industry was promoting nostalgia even back then.

In my previous comment, I was trying to say that while we are talking now about variations of style and technique within (pick a name here!) bluegrass too has variants. Which BG variant are we distinguishing ourselves from?

I prefer to think of clawhammer and 2-finger and 3-finger as techniques. We can use any of them to play Appalachian fiddle tunes, blues, jugband, rock, etc melodies.

Page:  First Page   1  2

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories