Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Banjo Lovers Online

Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!

Page: 1  2   Last Page (2) 

Aug 22, 2019 - 10:58:52 AM
like this
55 posts since 6/24/2019

Can anyone elaborate on Jason Romero's playing style on the banjo? I think it is 3 Finger Old Time but people on other threads said it is 2 finger. Either way I am smitten and trying to find a video to get a good look at his hands as this is some of the most beautiful playing I have ever heard and I would love to learn.

Aug 22, 2019 - 12:33 PM
like this
Players Union Member

dbrooks

USA

3664 posts since 3/11/2004

There are some YouTube videos, but it's tough to get a good angle to show Jason's right hand.

"Wild Bill Jones"" - mix of two-finger and three-finger?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZCuPVwhLM0

Lost Lula" - clawhammer:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQLVx7pbZgc

Inside the Craft interview. Good angle of up-picking near the end (8:15):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og_Jdw_VNs4

"Babes, Mothers, Fathers" - occasional shots of up-picking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og_Jdw_VNs4

David

Aug 22, 2019 - 1:22:17 PM

55 posts since 6/24/2019

Wow David, thank you. Is up-picking just finger picking?

Aug 22, 2019 - 1:22:19 PM
like this

169 posts since 7/2/2012

Send him an email. He’s responded to every question I’ve ever asked him. Nice folks.

Aug 22, 2019 - 2:05:35 PM
likes this

Vetsorn

Norway

24 posts since 9/9/2017

From what I've seen, it seems he bases most of his playing on 2-finger rolls and patterns, but throws in a third finger every once in a while if the melody calls for it.

Aug 22, 2019 - 2:57:51 PM
likes this
Players Union Member

dbrooks

USA

HoosierDoodles , yes, up-picking is a category that I think includes 2-finger, 3-funger as well as the Seeger strum.

David

Aug 22, 2019 - 3:42:44 PM
like this
Players Union Member

dbrooks

USA

By the way, the October 2009 Banjo Newsletter has a review of "Shout Monah" by the Haints (Jason and Pharis Romero and Erynn Marshall. There is clawhammer tab by Jason Romero for "Baptist Shout" and "Devil's Dream."

https://banjonews.com/2009-10/the_haints_new_cd.html

David

Aug 22, 2019 - 11:17:22 PM
likes this

136 posts since 8/11/2015

quote:
Originally posted by HoosierDoodles

Can anyone elaborate on Jason Romero's playing style on the banjo? I think it is 3 Finger Old Time but people on other threads said it is 2 finger. Either way I am smitten and trying to find a video to get a good look at his hands as this is some of the most beautiful playing I have ever heard and I would love to learn.

You coul look at the video closeups in his Instagram feed. https://www.instagram.com/romerobanjos/

If you scroll down a bit you can see a video symbol in some of the posts where a new banjo is being played. You see the hands quite well and there is only the one instrument. (I would just click on all of his posts because they’re awesome!)

Myself I haven’t been able to steal any licks although l’ve certainly tried. I think the solution for me would be to start on the basics with 2- and 3-finger, learning some rolls and trying to incorporate them into my playing. It will probably end up sounding completely different tho. :)

Aug 23, 2019 - 7:00:41 AM
like this

cmic

France

158 posts since 4/17/2010

And also the superb "Cumberland gap" (in fDGCD, I think) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju5QjZ6HmPI

Edited by - cmic on 08/23/2019 07:01:37

Aug 23, 2019 - 7:48:07 AM
likes this

55 posts since 6/24/2019

Yes the Cumberland Gap video floored me. I listened to it at least 15 times and thought it was the most beautiful thing I have ever heard.  i couldn't believe I have never heard anyone play a rendition like this or similar, at least that I have come across.  I just must know his playing style.  I can't tell if he is using 2 or 3 fingers and just doing drop thumb?

Edited by - HoosierDoodles on 08/23/2019 07:54:59

Aug 23, 2019 - 9:30:11 AM
likes this

8924 posts since 2/22/2007

HD, he plays "Jason Romero Style", and you can get there by learning three finger rolls without picks on an open back banjo while listening to a lot of great old time two and three finger players for inspiration. But I do not believe that anyone is going to have a method book or tabs or video leading you step by step. You will have to work that out for yourself, just like Jason had to do. 

Edited by - banjo bill-e on 08/23/2019 09:31:04

Aug 23, 2019 - 10:22:21 AM

55 posts since 6/24/2019

Thank you banjo bill-e, I will continue to work on it. I did see some players using a pick on their middle finger while playing 2 -3 finger style but I have not been able to find any picks that sound quiet (like Jason does) and don't give a harsh sound.

Aug 23, 2019 - 5:13:02 PM
likes this
Players Union Member

rudy

USA

14504 posts since 3/27/2004

quote:

Yes the Cumberland Gap video floored me. I listened to it at least 15 times and thought it was the most beautiful thing I have ever heard.  i couldn't believe I have never heard anyone play a rendition like this or similar, at least that I have come across.  I just must know his playing style.  I can't tell if he is using 2 or 3 fingers and just doing drop thumb?

Are you familiar with Adam Hurt's Cumberland Gap version?

https://youtu.be/AZKNrpx6OV4

All of Adam's stuff is gorgeous.

Aug 24, 2019 - 4:14:43 AM
like this

banjooud

France

79 posts since 10/5/2010

Aug 24, 2019 - 7:23:36 AM
like this

138 posts since 11/28/2012

This is about 4 years ago when I was trying to figure it out. Still working on trying to play it better. F tuning with basic 3 finger rolls. Love this tuning for clawhammer and fingerpicking. Have tried tuning this up to G but it doesn't sound right. I think some of Jason's recordings are even tuned down a half step from F.

Aug 24, 2019 - 9:05:10 AM
like this

Sally Goodin is another one he plays out of F tuning

Aug 24, 2019 - 12:11:32 PM
likes this

3671 posts since 10/13/2005

About a month ago at a folk jam someone, on guitar, sang Four Strong Winds and I was envious that FSWs doesn't sound good on Clawhammer so I've been messing with 2&3 finger. For 3 finger, on strings 5,4 and sometimes 3 I use a kind of thumb lead. On strings 1,2 and sometimes three I use a ring finger lead. Seems to be coming along, a ways to go. It's like starting all over again with a new instrument. It looks like the Romero style is a little more arpeggio than what I am up to. But, as long as no small children get hurt, dogs run over, or I get arrested it should be all right.... banjered

Aug 26, 2019 - 5:17:52 AM
likes this

55 posts since 6/24/2019

To in JoMO are you only striking the 1st string with your middle and then your index is hitting the 2nd and 3rd strings? And you strumming those strings down or up?
Sorry for the questions but I am a beginner and trying to get the concept of Jason's three finger rolls. You are a great player by the way!!!!

Aug 26, 2019 - 5:20:34 AM
likes this

55 posts since 6/24/2019

banjered, you are hilarious! Do you think Jason is up-picking with his index and middle? I just can't tell from the videos. I know he plays arpeggios, I am just trying to find a starting place :)

Aug 26, 2019 - 5:51:08 AM

55 posts since 6/24/2019

quote:
Originally posted by banjooud

I play with three fingers

Are you up-picking or down picking with your index and middle finger?

Aug 26, 2019 - 5:52:11 AM

55 posts since 6/24/2019

quote:
Originally posted by banjered

About a month ago at a folk jam someone, on guitar, sang Four Strong Winds and I was envious that FSWs doesn't sound good on Clawhammer so I've been messing with 2&3 finger. For 3 finger, on strings 5,4 and sometimes 3 I use a kind of thumb lead. On strings 1,2 and sometimes three I use a ring finger lead. Seems to be coming along, a ways to go. It's like starting all over again with a new instrument. It looks like the Romero style is a little more arpeggio than what I am up to. But, as long as no small children get hurt, dogs run over, or I get arrested it should be all right.... banjered

banjered, you are hilarious! Do you think Jason is up-picking with his index and middle? I just can't tell from the videos. I know he plays arpeggios, I am just trying to find a starting place :)

Aug 26, 2019 - 6:21:43 AM
likes this

banjooud

France

79 posts since 10/5/2010

quote:
quote:

Only up-picking . Sometime index and middle finger plays at the same time. You have mainly two chords in this song : F and Bb with some variant . I encourage you to use Audacity software or similar tools to slow down and listen carefully

Aug 26, 2019 - 7:01:44 AM

55 posts since 6/24/2019

quote:
quote:
quote:

Only up-picking . Sometime index and middle finger plays at the same time. You have mainly two chords in this song : F and Bb with some variant . I encourage you to use Audacity software or similar tools to slow down and listen carefully

Thank you, I am just trying to wrap my mind how to go about learning this tune and 3-finger style.  I want to be able to play without picks but my nails are super short at this time.

Aug 26, 2019 - 7:13:34 AM
likes this

banjooud

France

79 posts since 10/5/2010

It's not necessary to have nails. In the same way as for classical guitar, there is a tradition of playing without nails. You will have a softer and mellow sound by this way .

Aug 26, 2019 - 10:12:49 AM
likes this

AldenS

Canada

43 posts since 10/23/2017

quote:
Originally posted by cmic

And also the superb "Cumberland gap" (in fDGCD, I think) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju5QjZ6HmPI

Thank you so much for linking that! Simply inspiring.

Aug 26, 2019 - 10:41:02 AM
like this

quote:

To in JoMO are you only striking the 1st string with your middle and then your index is hitting the 2nd and 3rd strings? And you strumming those strings down or up?
Sorry for the questions but I am a beginner and trying to get the concept of Jason's three finger rolls. You are a great player by the way!!!!

It is all up picking with 3 fingers.   I strike the 1st string with the middle and sometimes the index finger.  On the 2nd string I strike with the index or thumb but on occasion I will use the middle finger on the 2nd string which is not typically done with most 3 finger pickers.  One the 3rd string I use the thumb or index but not the middle finger.

You can pick the strings with whatever finger you can make work, although it is hard to do a good roll using the thumb on the 1st string or index or middle on the 4th or 5th.  Heck, Martin Simpson I have heard plays with 4 fingers.  He has some good music to listen to.

It is all basic 3 finger Scruggs type rolls with some slides and hammer ons.   There are a lot of forward rolls with some   T-I-T-M and M-I-M-T rolls there.    If you are really new to fingerstyle, this might be a tough one to figure out.  You can really get these rolls down in an open tuning like G tuning and trying this later once you get forward, backward, and alternating finger rolls down smoothly.

Page: 1  2   Last Page (2) 

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories