Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

294
Banjo Lovers Online


Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!
Jul 16, 2019 - 9:28:16 AM
like this
267 posts since 9/25/2006

Well, I just finished my first full sized banjo build. I bought a Gold Tone MC-150R kit and used the pot hardware from it. I did upgrade tuners and make my own bone nut. For the neck, rim and resonator I used walnut. The fretboard and headstock overlay was made with Richlite which I had a local guy laser engrave so I could pour epoxy inlays.

What do you think?


Jul 16, 2019 - 9:37:20 AM
likes this

167 posts since 10/26/2008

Looks awesome! Congrats

Jul 16, 2019 - 12:14:56 PM
likes this

505 posts since 5/19/2018

If that’s your first build, I would love to see what you are doing 10 years from now.

Very well done.

Nice peg head shape. Nice use of materials.

Excellent!

Jul 16, 2019 - 12:41:47 PM
likes this
Players Union Member

rudy

USA

14490 posts since 3/27/2004

Nice job, Ryan.  I like your laser-etched & epoxy filled inlays; not many folks are doing that yet.

Your lathe setup is also interesting.  I don't use a lathe much, but when I was experimenting with rim shaping on the lathe I outfitted my Delta Midi lathe with riser blocks to pick up the additional swing capacity needed.  If the idea is appealing to you there are some shots of my lathe in my home page photos, most likely the "Tools" folder.

Jul 16, 2019 - 1:21:46 PM
likes this
Players Union Member

sold1ode

Canada

92 posts since 10/10/2007

Beautiful work. Congrats!

Jul 16, 2019 - 1:39:27 PM

267 posts since 9/25/2006

quote:
Originally posted by rudy

Nice job, Ryan.  I like your laser-etched & epoxy filled inlays; not many folks are doing that yet.

Your lathe setup is also interesting.  I don't use a lathe much, but when I was experimenting with rim shaping on the lathe I outfitted my Delta Midi lathe with riser blocks to pick up the additional swing capacity needed.  If the idea is appealing to you there are some shots of my lathe in my home page photos, most likely the "Tools" folder.


 

I'll take a look at that. My set up worked, but did take up a lot of extra room.  Adding a riser to the headstock would be a good idea. I'd just need to find a longer belt.  Thanks for the suggestion.

 

 

Thanks for the kind words everyone!  I'm very please with how it came out. I'm already ordering stuff to start my next build. I'm going with maple for that one.

 

ryan

Jul 16, 2019 - 1:49:44 PM
likes this

7374 posts since 1/7/2005

Nice job Ryan. Better than my first banjo. I really like the peghead design with the "cow lick."
Looking forward to seeing your next one.

DD

Jul 16, 2019 - 1:55:27 PM
likes this

12157 posts since 6/29/2005

very nice!

Jul 16, 2019 - 2:37:31 PM
Players Union Member

rudy

USA

14490 posts since 3/27/2004

quote:
Originally posted by RedArrowRyan
quote:
Originally posted by rudy

Nice job, Ryan.  I like your laser-etched & epoxy filled inlays; not many folks are doing that yet.

Your lathe setup is also interesting.  I don't use a lathe much, but when I was experimenting with rim shaping on the lathe I outfitted my Delta Midi lathe with riser blocks to pick up the additional swing capacity needed.  If the idea is appealing to you there are some shots of my lathe in my home page photos, most likely the "Tools" folder.


I'll take a look at that. My set up worked, but did take up a lot of extra room.  Adding a riser to the headstock would be a good idea. I'd just need to find a longer belt.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for the kind words everyone!  I'm very please with how it came out. I'm already ordering stuff to start my next build. I'm going with maple for that one.

ryan


I believe the Jet and the Delta Midi are very similar in design.  The Delta takes a special multi-grooved belt (I forget exactly what they are called...).  I went to my local belt and bearing supply house and found what I needed in length, but what they had on hand was double the width of what I needed.  I simply split the belt with a utility knife along the center groove and that gave me what I needed, plus a spare to keep on hand.

Jul 17, 2019 - 6:01:34 AM

267 posts since 9/25/2006

rudy

Thanks for the pic. That really helps see the risers on that lathe. The advise on the belt is much appreciated! I will look into that!

Dan Drabek

Thanks for the kind words. I like that description of "cow lick". I'll start using that!

ryan

Jul 18, 2019 - 8:28:56 AM

2417 posts since 6/19/2008

That's quite a banjo for your first build. Please tell us what you mixed with epoxy to do your poured inlays. I've tried mixing some aluminum filings with it but they always come out pretty dull.

Jul 18, 2019 - 10:18:53 AM
likes this
Players Union Member

DC5

USA

7188 posts since 6/30/2015

Very impressive, now I'm going to go cut mine up into kindling.

Jul 18, 2019 - 12:38:55 PM

267 posts since 9/25/2006

quote:
Originally posted by Jonnycake White

That's quite a banjo for your first build. Please tell us what you mixed with epoxy to do your poured inlays. I've tried mixing some aluminum filings with it but they always come out pretty dull.


 

I used Black Diamond Pigments ( https://blackdiamondpigments.com/ ).  I bought one of their sample packs a while back and one of the colors is White Pearl.  It has some iridescence to it, so I thought it might be suitable for this.  I also mixed up a bit of the Blue Pearl pigment too, and put a single drop in each "inlay" just to give it some color variation.  

Overall, I was happy with the process and will do it again. 


Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.3574219