Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

360
Banjo Lovers Online


Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!

Page: 1  2   Last Page (2) 

Jun 16, 2019 - 7:21:37 PM
likes this

mander

USA

3493 posts since 10/7/2007

My DIN's father is a chef. Today, at the Father's Day gathering, she mentioned how her father grills hamburgers: when he makes the patty, he makes it slightly thinner in the middle, and thicker at the edges, that way when it cooks up, it is more even across the patty and the center is cooked properly.

As soon as she said it, I thought, well duh... why didn't I think of that?

All you grill masters probably already knew that, but for the two out there that didn't, you're welcome! Thank Kevin.

Any secret tips of your own?

Jun 16, 2019 - 7:31:10 PM

Owen

Canada

3579 posts since 6/5/2011

Jun 17, 2019 - 7:29:43 AM
likes this
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

11308 posts since 5/24/2005

I do the thinner in middle, but more important IMO, is, not to over work the patty-don't make em so pretty. The claim is, that working the meat too much makes them hard and tough.
Brad

Jun 17, 2019 - 7:57:16 AM
likes this

629 posts since 4/22/2018
Online Now

quote:
Originally posted by rinemb

I do the thinner in middle, but more important IMO, is, not to over work the patty-don't make em so pretty. The claim is, that working the meat too much makes them hard and tough.
Brad


Agreed - any burger that has been near a press is invariably like eating a drinks coaster.

my top tip for cooking burgers is not to ruin them by melting cheese all over them - I suspect I’m in the minority on this one!!

Jun 17, 2019 - 8:42:35 AM
likes this

mander

USA

3493 posts since 10/7/2007

quote:
Originally posted by Owen

Sorry, dunno...DIN ??  https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/DIN


Oops. I can't even spell an acronym correctly. DIL daughter in law.

Jun 17, 2019 - 8:43:49 AM

mander

USA

3493 posts since 10/7/2007

quote:
Originally posted by rinemb

I do the thinner in middle, but more important IMO, is, not to over work the patty-don't make em so pretty. The claim is, that working the meat too much makes them hard and tough.
Brad


So is meat like dough? Does it need to "rest"?

Jun 17, 2019 - 9:02:01 AM
likes this
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

11308 posts since 5/24/2005

Another thing I want in my burger patties is some fat. About 25% or more. But that is not PC anymore, eh. Brad

Jun 17, 2019 - 9:04:36 AM
likes this
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

11308 posts since 5/24/2005

I do it cheese on my burgers often, but not gooed out on the grill. I like to let the cheese sliced get to room temp, then lay it on the burger as I dress it. Prefer a firm yellow slice of cheese, not Kraft processed almost cheese. But, that comment may offend, sorry. Brad

Jun 17, 2019 - 9:14:12 AM
like this

8560 posts since 2/22/2007

Cheese changes everything. A cheeseburger is a different flavor from a hamburger, imo, and I do not dress them the same. Cheese smooths out the taste and that is fine when that is what is wanted, and my cheeseburgers tend to have mayo, lettuce, tomato, but sometimes I prefer the sharper flavor of just meat, onion, and mustard.

Jun 17, 2019 - 10:40:06 AM
likes this

jwold

USA

1057 posts since 7/21/2004

After working on some Applebees training videos, one tip that their chefs tell their cooks is to NOT press on the burger with the spatula while it's cooking. The hot juices actually help cook the meat and pressing them out leads to a dry burger.
Other burger cooking wisdom I've heard similar to cooking steaks is to cook/sear each side of the burger on high heat, then reduce the heat and cook till finished.

Jun 17, 2019 - 11:35 AM

lazyarcher

Canada

7020 posts since 4/19/2004

I use a lot of venison for burgs but you have to add fat. I'll cut it 2:1 venison to regular beef/pork, or add pork sausage meat from the local butcher.
Another tip--freeze your patties for 20-30 mins before they go on the grill. That way they don't shrink up and get too thick. I also use a burger press to keep them the right thickness.

Jun 17, 2019 - 11:46:43 AM

8696 posts since 1/15/2005

quote:
Originally posted by banjo bill-e

Cheese changes everything. A cheeseburger is a different flavor from a hamburger, imo, and I do not dress them the same. Cheese smooths out the taste and that is fine when that is what is wanted, and my cheeseburgers tend to have mayo, lettuce, tomato, but sometimes I prefer the sharper flavor of just meat, onion, and mustard.


I swear Bii, we were separated at birth.  I have never heard anyone 'splain it so eloquently.  A cheeseburger is a different animal than a hamburger.  A cheeseburger is dressed with mayo (pretty generous amount) with lettuce and tomato.  A hamburger is with just mayo and a slice of onion ........... or mustard, ketchup, pickles, and onion.  Your variations are perfectly acceptable!

....and oh yeah, leave the Kaiser buns, and other fancy breads for something else.  Sesame seeds are ok, but that's about it

Edited by - BanjoLink on 06/17/2019 11:47:59

Jun 17, 2019 - 11:49:39 AM

8696 posts since 1/15/2005

quote:
Originally posted by lazyarcher

I use a lot of venison for burgs but you have to add fat. I'll cut it 2:1 venison to regular beef/pork, or add pork sausage meat from the local butcher.
Another tip--freeze your patties for 20-30 mins before they go on the grill. That way they don't shrink up and get too thick. I also use a burger press to keep them the right thickness.


Great advice.  I personally do not like my burgers too thick.

Jun 17, 2019 - 12:23:28 PM

Mooooo

USA

6895 posts since 8/20/2016

I would think a burger with equal thickness all around, and not over-worked, would cook evenly. Thin in the middle and thicker on the edges would seem to assure the middle cook more than the edges assuming the heat source is constant. But the proof will come next time I grill...thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by - Mooooo on 06/17/2019 12:24:53

Jun 17, 2019 - 1:31:07 PM

FredrikP

Sweden

5 posts since 2/10/2019

If you salt the meat and let it sit before cooking, the burger will stick together much more than if you salt it right in the pan. Now, I want a burger that basically just falls apart in my mouth, so I tend to salt it once it’s in the pan. But if I’m grilling, the meat gets pre-salted - about 30 minutes.

Jun 17, 2019 - 2:05:28 PM
likes this

RonR

USA

1434 posts since 11/29/2012

I like a blue cheese topped burger seared on the outside with a slice of tomato on a potato roll. I'm getting ready for one right now. I was told presalting any meat makes it tough.

Jun 17, 2019 - 2:16:13 PM
likes this
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

11308 posts since 5/24/2005

Many of our burgers were cooked in a cast iron skillet, as a kid. Mom would salt the pan before laying the burger in the pan. She said it made the pan non-stick.

Jun 17, 2019 - 4:15:23 PM
Players Union Member

Brian T

Canada

15496 posts since 6/5/2008

Got the seasonings and the ground meat?
Put on a disposable vinyl glove and start mixing.
Keep going.It doesn't take forever.
But you will see the meat go from granular to quite stringy.
Now, the burgers don't fall apart.

Also a key step to making jerky with ground meat and a Jerky Pistol.
The stringy texture really holds together very well.

Caution: never let "Outlaw Burgers" thaw out before you toss them on a hot grill.
Remember "pink slime?"

Jun 18, 2019 - 12:23:48 PM
likes this

figmo59

USA

28941 posts since 3/5/2008

Jun 19, 2019 - 7:56:12 AM
likes this

Chadbanjo

Canada

1422 posts since 3/27/2010

Real hamburger. Thanks for stopping by.


Jun 19, 2019 - 8:25:47 AM
Players Union Member

janolov

Sweden

39629 posts since 3/7/2006

quote:
Originally posted by figmo59

youtu.be/r-M6RxZya4Y


Thanks for the link. I learned a lot from it. I like the idea of hand chopped meat instead of machine ground meat.

Jun 19, 2019 - 9:25:25 AM

2475 posts since 2/16/2017

I often just depress the middle with the back of a spoon right before throwing it on the grill. No fuss.

Jun 19, 2019 - 10:42:37 AM
like this

Tobus

USA

1846 posts since 11/17/2015

quote:
Originally posted by FlyinEagle

I often just depress the middle with the back of a spoon right before throwing it on the grill. No fuss.


That's what I do.  In fact, I grilled some burgers last night and remembered something.  When I make that depression in the middle and put it on the grill, it tends to act as a pooling spot for fat as it melts out of the meat.  So when I flip the burgers, I usually let that small puddle of grease drip onto the adjacent burger instead of letting it just fall into the flames.  As I flip each burger, each one that's already been flipped gets the grease from the next one being flipped.  It may not actually make a difference, but I think it helps keep the juices on the meat and keep the first side from getting dry after flipping.  If nothing else, surely it keeps that flavor from being lost.

My two most important rules for grilling burgers are:

1. Always sprinkle black pepper on the patties before they go on the grill.  It adds great flavor.

2. Always drink beer while grilling.  If the burgers don't turn out perfectly, who cares?

Jun 19, 2019 - 11:47:40 AM
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

11308 posts since 5/24/2005

quote:
Originally posted by Tobus
quote:
Originally posted by FlyinEagle

I often just depress the middle with the back of a spoon right before throwing it on the grill. No fuss.


That's what I do.  In fact, I grilled some burgers last night and remembered something.  When I make that depression in the middle and put it on the grill, it tends to act as a pooling spot for fat as it melts out of the meat.  So when I flip the burgers, I usually let that small puddle of grease drip onto the adjacent burger instead of letting it just fall into the flames.  As I flip each burger, each one that's already been flipped gets the grease from the next one being flipped.  It may not actually make a difference, but I think it helps keep the juices on the meat and keep the first side from getting dry after flipping.  If nothing else, surely it keeps that flavor from being lost.

My two most important rules for grilling burgers are:

1. Always sprinkle black pepper on the patties before they go on the grill.  It adds great flavor.

2. Always drink beer while grilling.  If the burgers don't turn out perfectly, who cares?


Two fine rules, indeed.  Brad

Jun 19, 2019 - 11:50:11 AM
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

11308 posts since 5/24/2005

At risk of hi-jacking....may we discuss buns. I am talking "hamburger buns." WOW sesame seeds. I choose brands with lower sugar content. Even a Kaiser roll on occasion. Nothing else will do in our back yard.
Brad

Jun 19, 2019 - 11:50:35 AM

2475 posts since 2/16/2017

I like that move with the grease Tobus. I'm going to start doing that, and the cracked pepper sprinkle too.

I already do the beer thing...

Page: 1  2   Last Page (2) 

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.3632813