Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Banjo Lovers Online

Banjo Ben's Gold Tone "Twanger" (based on "Banger")

Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!

Page:  First Page   1  2

Jun 13, 2019 - 12:44:42 PM

61 posts since 11/13/2008

Thanks, Ahmad310 ! I used a different mic on that song with a flat EQ and no compression/verb. I'll be soloing that banjo track in the main video I'm creating now, which will have Robby and Adam from the General Store playing and talking about it as well. The first batch is sold out, but you can click the "notify me when available" button on this page to find out when the next batch is in: store.banjobenclark.com/produc...with-case

Jun 13, 2019 - 1:08:02 PM
like this

9 posts since 3/20/2010

Im already one of first batch @Banjoben1 :) But i will admit its not easy buying something i cannot play first. So looking forward to hearing more clips/videos of you guys playing them!

Jun 13, 2019 - 4:20:10 PM
likes this

41 posts since 3/10/2013

I got the last one. Much anticipation pending its arrival.
Agree with Ahmad310!

Jun 20, 2019 - 1:08:04 PM

Here's the official promo video with Robby Boone and Adam Ash playing the banjo: youtu.be/qXXyEyTPje8

As mentioned, the first batch is sold out, but you can stay in the loop by clicking the "notify me when available" button on the page: store.banjobenclark.com/produc...with-case

I'm excited for y'all to get one in your hands! The first batch is supposed to ship from Gold Tone to the General Store sometime next week ;)

Jun 20, 2019 - 4:04:30 PM

9 posts since 3/20/2010

@Banjoben1 Thank you for uploading that video! It sounds great in everyones hands!  Was that the same #2 prototype throughout that video?

quote:
Originally posted by Banjoben1

Here's the official promo video with Robby Boone and Adam Ash playing the banjo: youtu.be/qXXyEyTPje8

As mentioned, the first batch is sold out, but you can stay in the loop by clicking the "notify me when available" button on the page: store.banjobenclark.com/produc...with-case

I'm excited for y'all to get one in your hands! The first batch is supposed to ship from Gold Tone to the General Store sometime next week ;)

Jun 20, 2019 - 6:45 PM

Yep, they recorded with it first, sent it to me with dead strings, then I recorded my part ;)

Jun 21, 2019 - 6:37:38 AM

1260 posts since 3/24/2006

quote:

Yep, they recorded with it first, sent it to me with dead strings, then I recorded my part

I figured a feller such as yourself, owning an music store and all, just might be able to come up with a new set of strings......just sayin'. ;) 

Jun 21, 2019 - 7:04:32 AM

12186 posts since 10/30/2008

Where is it manufactured please? I guess I missed that if it's already been reported.

Jul 9, 2019 - 4:40:07 PM
Players Union Member

CanadianCal

Canada

51 posts since 1/16/2011

Hey Ben how does this compare to the Recording king rk35/36? Would love to see a side by side comparison.

Jul 9, 2019 - 4:53:57 PM

We will do a side-by-side comparison for sure. But, let me just say that I've never played a banjo anywhere as powerful as the Twanger in the price range.

Jul 11, 2019 - 4:16:44 AM

ChuckCharles

Netherlands

32 posts since 6/21/2015

quote:

We will do a side-by-side comparison for sure. But, let me just say that I've never played a banjo anywhere as powerful as the Twanger in the price range.

It looks and sounds great to me. I play a Goldtone O.B 150 (best I can afford of what is available in my country)

I'm wondering though how does this new Goldtone differ from the 150? both are based on a prewar style banjo as I understand.

(another thing, way of topic though sorry: you said once you were thinking of adding a clawhammer section to the Banjo Ben website...That would be great! )

Jul 11, 2019 - 5:54:07 AM

6 posts since 7/11/2019

quote:
Originally posted by ChuckCharles
quote:

It looks and sounds great to me. I play a Goldtone O.B 150 (best I can afford of what is available in my country)

I'm wondering though how does this new Goldtone differ from the 150? both are based on a prewar style banjo as I understand.

(another thing, way of topic though sorry: you said once you were thinking of adding a clawhammer section to the Banjo Ben website...That would be great! )

There are a few differences in the OB-150 and the OB-3 “Twanger”.  One of the major differences is that the tone ring in the OB-3 is a no-hole tone ring.  The tailpiece is a Presto-style on the OB-3, while the OB-150 uses either a Straightline or Terminator.  Also, the OB-3 is a mahogany banjo, while the OB-150 has a maple neck and resonator.  Thanks for your interest!

Adam Ash (“Gadget Guru” for Banjo Ben General Store)

Jul 15, 2019 - 10:32:56 AM
likes this

9 posts since 3/20/2010

Twanger #23 arrived today and wanted to give a quick review after spending the past 45min playing it. For context I also own a 1998 Gibson Granada, 2003 Huber Kalamazoo and a 2018 Recording King RK-36.

This thing is killer!!!!! For the money you cannot beat it. No its not a $5000 banjo, and not its not going to sound just like your buddys 30's Gibson, but being brand new, out of the box, it sounds great. I have not played a new banjo under $3000 that sounds this good IMO. The RK which i know alot of people love and its probabaly where people will try and compare this is an amazing banjo as well, but it always left something more to be desiered to me, in G & A it sounded great but it got thin above that. The Twanger has alot more power in every key, the tone is good and this thing holds its own against my Huber & Gibson banjos. It def has that older sound that remides of those old Crowe recordings. Really excited to see how she sounds over time, but for brand new out of the box, I'm very impressed.

If you are on the fence about picking one of these up, I will tell you that you will not be dissapointed if you get your hands on one. Im happy I made the decesion to get in on the first batch. I like probabaly many of you was a little worried that this wasnt going to be not worth it and id quickly sell it but now i have a really hard decesion as I really have no need for so many banjos (The Huber was aquired 3 weeks ago while waiting for the Twanger when i was prestented an offer i could not refuse on it) so i have fully been diaignosed with BAS!

Thanks to Ben/Jake for making this a seemless process and putting up with all my email questions on it!!

If you have any questions just let me know I'd be more than happy to answer. I'll try and take some videos and post them for everyone.
(If anyone is looking for an RK-36, I will have one forsale soon) :)

Jul 18, 2019 - 3:53:27 PM
like this

9 posts since 3/20/2010

Here are a couple quick videos i took with my phone of the Twanger...

Jul 18, 2019 - 4:01:20 PM

Bk2olKY

USA

430 posts since 1/23/2016

Sounds great Ahmad!! Nice picking!

Jul 18, 2019 - 5:47:11 PM
likes this

quote:
Originally posted by Ahmad310

Here are a couple quick videos i took with my phone of the Twanger...

That’s what I’m talking about! Man that thing sounds great! 

Jul 18, 2019 - 8:12:47 PM

70 posts since 12/3/2005

I received Twanger #15 July 15 and played it out the next night. Sounds wonderful and the fit and finish are everything Ben and the crew said it was. Set up was perfect with the exception of the spikes being a little tight at Bb, B and C. A was fine.

I understand the original Banger is fairly close to me. It would be neat if I could convince the owner to do a comparison video. I'll work on that. Anyone know what gauge strings are on it. They feel like cables to me. I'm used to a 9.5. 20. 13 11. 9.5 set. I'll change strings and break it in a little. Very happy with the purchase.

Jul 19, 2019 - 8:22:46 AM

9 posts since 3/20/2010

There was a sheet of paper in the case if i remember correctly from Gold Tone that talked about set up and stated what gauge strings they used.  I don't recall the numbers off hand but yes they are definitely heaver gauge.  Ive tried some lighter gauge strings but didnt care for the sound as it was very thin. So i ordered a few different custom sets of strings from American Made Banjo Company so i'll try them this weekend and see if i can find a sweet spot that feels good and still sounds good. 

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Ace

I received Twanger #15 July 15 and played it out the next night. Sounds wonderful and the fit and finish are everything Ben and the crew said it was. Set up was perfect with the exception of the spikes being a little tight at Bb, B and C. A was fine.

I understand the original Banger is fairly close to me. It would be neat if I could convince the owner to do a comparison video. I'll work on that. Anyone know what gauge strings are on it. They feel like cables to me. I'm used to a 9.5. 20. 13 11. 9.5 set. I'll change strings and break it in a little. Very happy with the purchase.

Jul 19, 2019 - 9:19:52 AM

6 posts since 7/11/2019

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Ace

We're glad you're enjoying it!  Gold Tone usually puts .010-.013-.016-.024-.010 on all of their 5-string banjos.  Although we upgraded the bridge, we left the strings alone (unless the customer made a specific request).

Adam Ash ("Gadget Guru" for Banjo Ben General Store)

Jul 21, 2019 - 7:45:48 AM
likes this

The PF135 strings are my favorite on all my banjos, including the Twanger! Due to some questions I've received, I also want to clarify that the banjos ship from us at the General Store. That means we inspect each piece, sign the custom label, set it up according to the customer's request (action/strings/bridge), then ship insured to the customer.

Also, batch #2 of the Twanger is now open for pre-order. I do not think they will last long. It opened late last week and we only have 12 left of the 36 that will be here in mid-September. We are pretty sure there will be a batch #3 (consisting of 36 more) before the end of 2019, but cannot promise that. If you want to absolutely secure a Twanger for 2019, I'd pre-order one of the batch #2 now.

Jul 24, 2019 - 12:53:44 PM

Robby Boone has had his personal Twanger for a month now, and here are his thoughts: youtu.be/ym2xwz6-jmo

We have about 10 left of batch #2 to pre-order...you can do that here: store.banjobenclark.com/produc...with-case

Jul 24, 2019 - 9:06:07 PM
likes this

1 posts since 4/28/2019

Just wanted to chime in on this topic...even though I'm new to this forum (and even to banjos), I wanted to make mention of my "banjo pilgrimage" in March of this year. I attended ( Banjoben1 ) Ben Clark's Cabin Camp this spring and wanted to try out as many resonator banjos as possible in the process. I've been a musician most of my life, mostly playing trombone since jr high in the mid 70's, marching, jazz, concert, classical, latino, and even big band until just a few years ago. Ran sound boards for top 40 cover bands in college too. None of this old experience has anything to do with banjos, I know.

Started out with a decent 3rd hand open back Deering Goodtime about a year and a half ago. Wanted to try as many resonator banjos as possible and tried some real beauties at the camp owned by other campers (some I was almost afraid to handle, due to the value), and tested out the prototype Twanger as well. Went to Nashville immediately afterwards and tried practically everything banjo in Carter's Vintage Guitars (great place, by the way, and I highly recommend it for vintage guitars, mandolins , banjos, and assorted goodies), and then on the way home stopped by to meet Jeff Hohwald in Atlanta at Banjowarehouse.com and tried more banjos than I could shake a stick at (Jeff and Andy were great to talk to and learn from, and came away from there with a great new book and CD's). Didn't have the cash to buy anything else at that time and was only pre-shopping for the next step up.

After mulling over my banjo pilgrimage, decided that while there were only a couple that sounded or played markedly better than the Twanger, and each of those were way more expensive. So, the bottom line is, for my money and budget, I couldn't beat the Twanger based on what I saw. I'm now the proud owner of one of the original 36 and could not be happier with my purchase. It sounds and looks great! I have no more excuses, so I guess now the real work begins :).

Page:  First Page   1  2

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories