Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Banjo Lovers Online

Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!
Jul 12, 2018 - 12:48:05 AM



13 posts since 12/9/2017

How should I play this when I have something in tabs - in the photo with R and B.
Thanks in advance for your help

Jul 12, 2018 - 4:54:47 AM

Texasbanjo (Moderator)


21633 posts since 8/3/2003

The first one is a brush, just brush your thumb downward over all strings. The second one I'm not real familiar with but it looks like a "rake" which you would take your two fingers and rake up on all the strings.

If I'm wrong on the rake one, I'm sure someone will let you know.

Jul 12, 2018 - 5:47:31 AM
Players Union Member



38909 posts since 3/7/2006

The first is brush. In Scruggs style, just brush down with the thumb or the ring finger.. In clawhammer just brush down with any finger that is convenient or the whole hand. All notes shall be sounded more or less at the same time

The second is an arpeggio roll, which is a kind of slow brush. It is done in the same way as a brush but slower so each note can be heard separately after each other in a quick sequence.

Jul 12, 2018 - 6:24:03 AM



13 posts since 12/9/2017

Thank you for the fast answer.
This arpeggio roll like brush sounds just like you wrote. You hear single notes quickly. I still have to practice this.

Jul 12, 2018 - 6:26:17 AM



13 posts since 12/9/2017

Thank you to everyone who answered and helped me.

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories