Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

273
Banjo Lovers Online


May 16, 2018 - 7:12:48 AM
30 posts since 12/7/2017

I would like to see, if you will, some opinions on how (If it can be) an 81 Gibson RB250 can have some improvement. I've put back the clamshell tail piece the other day while I was tinkering with it. It's stock except for the Sampson bridge I bought from a BHO member. I think it's better or at least different than the old (i mean pretty old...lol) SS bridges I had. I've heard different stories that they had multi ply rims . Then heard they were 3 ply and sometimes filling in on the edges of rim looked kind of like a multi ply rim. Don't get me wrong it's sounding pretty good but for some reason I think I can get a little more out of it. I'm by no way a professional( use to play in church) but I kind of like trying things and "saying hey that's pretty good) now that I'm retired. Thanks in advance.

May 16, 2018 - 7:19:26 AM

30 posts since 12/7/2017

Follow up. Bridge makers say old growth wood, etc. Those. SS bridges are approaching old growth with me. I think they are going on 40 years. Man am I getting that old...lol.

May 16, 2018 - 7:40:42 AM
likes this

600 posts since 12/27/2012

Tighten the head

May 16, 2018 - 8:45:01 AM

TOMCAT

USA

4685 posts since 11/14/2006

John Boulding has some good setup vids on YouTube.

May 16, 2018 - 12:33:18 PM

774 posts since 1/17/2011

Check the lag bolts into the neck to make sure they are tight. I had a 1980 RB250 that had a GBB (Gibson bell bronze) tone ring, that although weighed ALOT, had great tone. It also had a brown, factory 3 ply rim. The lag bolts into the neck somehow were loose when I got it, the neck could actually move side to side. I tightened them which significantly improved the tone. It still had the Gibson bridge, which wasn't bad, but I liked it better with an original Snuffy Smith.

May 18, 2018 - 11:29:55 AM

30 posts since 12/7/2017

I took off resonator, Presto tailpiece, armrest. Tightened up coordinator rods and bolts, and tweaked the bottomed resonator enough to bring action down a fuzz because of .656 bridge that I am using. Got a drum dial got head around edges pretty much spot on 90. Put clam shell tail piece back on for something different. Newer strings even though I've had them in package for sometime. So besides putting back Presto, I guess I've done about all I can do. Action good. Things are tighten. Newer strings. If I can get it best I can do, maybe I won't be so tempted to get another one or some that are on here....lol. Thanks guys. Right now it's little here, little there. I will probably try a bridge or two not because there's something wrong with the Sampson, but I think some bridges some more optimum on one than on another. That's what I'm thinking anyway. I may have it as good as it can get. I need to record it and see what comes out to the front.

May 18, 2018 - 11:30:58 AM

30 posts since 12/7/2017

That was bottom coordinator rod not resonator...lol.

May 18, 2018 - 11:54:58 AM

13403 posts since 8/14/2003

The no. ONE thing to check is the tone ring fit.. should be a slip fit on the rim..

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.578125