Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

421
Banjo Lovers Online


Page: 1  2   3   Next Page   Last Page (3) 

Mar 14, 2018 - 8:17:43 AM
1364 posts since 9/12/2016

My better half has relatives that are adamant that there are native americans in their blood lines.Her sister had the test performed and the results were negative. I don't like her sister much and would like to have some way of putting the native american back into the line up ,any ideas

Mar 14, 2018 - 8:33:02 AM
likes this

Owen

Canada

2113 posts since 6/5/2011

....have you considered "cultural appropriation"?  But be forewarned...as I understand it [at least in Canada], it's okay in one direction, but not t'other.   wink

Mar 14, 2018 - 8:39:18 AM

1364 posts since 9/12/2016

I claimed illegitimate or secret adoption,but I am hoping to get some expert naysaying on the tests itself,even if it is hogwash but has enough big words in it to fool her

Mar 14, 2018 - 8:41:01 AM
like this

Brian T

Canada

13827 posts since 6/5/2008

People have a second line of DNA, genetic code which goes undetected in the Ancestry DNA test.
It's the maternal inheritance, from mother to all of her children.
Then a daughter, once again, to all of her children and again and again.

I had an idea of possibly a First Nations woman in my ancestry, about 4 or 5 generations ago on my mother's side.
The DNA analysis was negative but I didn't realize that the mtDNA would remain invisible.
So, I still don't know and I'm reluctant to throw any more money at this to find out.

Mar 14, 2018 - 8:56:57 AM
like this

1251 posts since 2/16/2017

Let me see if I have this right…You want to alter the test results in order to mess with your sister-in-law?

I would never condone such juvenile antics!

If you have the results in a PDF, you absolutely should NOT use this website to convert the PDF to a Word document.

ilovepdf.com/pdf_to_word

And you certainly should not change the results to whatever you want.

And under no circumstances should you use that website to make a new PDF out of the altered Word doc.

Mar 14, 2018 - 9:10:26 AM
like this

KE

Malta

22330 posts since 6/30/2006
Online Now

It's amusing when folks who believe they are of a "superior race" find out they are not what they thought.

Edited by - KE on 03/14/2018 09:11:17

Mar 14, 2018 - 9:26:22 AM
like this

raybob

USA

13079 posts since 12/11/2003

KE, That IS funny. I heard that a certain group of people were getting really angry when they got their personal results back and found out they weren't nearly as 'pure' as they thought. How did they think we all got here ? (LOL)

Mar 14, 2018 - 9:28:49 AM
likes this

4777 posts since 9/16/2004

quote:
Originally posted by KE

It's amusing when folks who believe they are of a "superior race" find out they are not what they thought.


ah! prelude to the deconstructionist version of the, "Prince and Pauper." 

Mar 14, 2018 - 9:31:57 AM
likes this

Owen

Canada

2113 posts since 6/5/2011

quote:
Originally posted by Tractor1

I claimed illegitimate or secret adoption,but I am hoping to get some expert naysaying on the tests itself,even if it is hogwash but has enough big words in it to fool her


...never having had the need,  I dont' know the "going rate," or how to contact one, but a document forger might be able to help.   cheeky

Mar 14, 2018 - 10:04:25 AM
like this

DC5 Players Union Member

USA

1118 posts since 6/30/2015

quote:
Originally posted by Tractor1

My better half has relatives that are adamant that there are native americans in their blood lines.Her sister had the test performed and the results were negative. I don't like her sister much and would like to have some way of putting the native american back into the line up ,any ideas


Not sure I totally understand the logic here.  Why does it make any difference?  Your wife's relatives make the claim that NA is in the blood line.  Your sister-in-law had DNA test and it came up negative for NA, but somehow you want to put it back in because you don't like your S-I-L.  I'm very confused, but offer the following suggestions.

1)Your wife get's her DNA tested, maybe her sister is not her sister.

2) have a mitochondrial DNA test done.  Ancestry doesn't offer this, and it would be more expensive, but it would show any possible female lineage.  Mitochondrial DNA is inherited directly from the mother, and except for mutations remains unchanged from generation to generation.  The Y chromosome does the same for males.

3) Have your S-I-L have an affair with a NA and then get the baby's DNA tested and somehow convince everyone that it's been there for generations. (alternatively you could do the same with your wife, but I presumed this would be problematic)

Mar 14, 2018 - 10:26:30 AM
like this

Mooooo

USA

3462 posts since 8/20/2016

For some reason people love to tell me that they have native american blood as if it is supposed to impress people. I don't find it that interesting, I would much rather hear what that person has accomplished than where their ancestors are from. That's why I couldn't give a rats behind about royalty or nationality...If being born to a certain race or clan or family were important to what a person does today we would all be screwed.

Mar 14, 2018 - 10:46:58 AM
likes this

1364 posts since 9/12/2016

Isn't there alot of trash dna,maybe I can tell her in her particular case it all looked the same.

Mar 14, 2018 - 11:39:25 AM
like this

47882 posts since 12/14/2005

Buffy St.Marie sang about people who CLAIM to have Native American ancestry, in "Now that the Buffalo Are Gone".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnZVIluWuq4

Maybe your Silly-In-Law NEEDS to BELIEVE that.

Why not just LET her?

What REAL-WORLD advantage would it give you?

My dad was proud to be ever-so-distantly related to the Haigs who made Haig & Haig whiskey, and whichever guy commanded the troops at Dunkirk.

I figured, what the heck difference should that make to ME?
Why should I feel "proud" of whichever random encounters or arranged marriages resulted in ME being related to boozers and losers?

On my MOTHER's side, it's entirely possible that I'm related to Joan of Arc, and FOR SURE, I am related to the guy in this picture:


Mar 14, 2018 - 11:45:26 AM
like this

13403 posts since 8/14/2003

Could be wrong, of course.. but genetic testing is a difficult, exacting drawn out process..(numerous Bigfoot tests show unknown primate or human?contamination and are ruled as invalid)..
So send me money and I'll tell you what you are, stinks of a scam to me??

Mar 14, 2018 - 11:52:35 AM
likes this

1364 posts since 9/12/2016

quote:
Originally posted by mike gregory

Buffy St.Marie sang about people who CLAIM to have Native American ancestry, in "Now that the Buffalo Are Gone".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnZVIluWuq4

Maybe your Silly-In-Law NEEDS to BELIEVE that.

Why not just LET her?

What REAL-WORLD advantage would it give you?

My dad was proud to be ever-so-distantly related to the Haigs who made Haig & Haig whiskey, and whichever guy commanded the troops at Dunkirk.

I figured, what the heck difference should that make to ME?
Why should I feel "proud" of whichever random encounters or arranged marriages resulted in ME being related to boozers and losers?

On my MOTHER's side, it's entirely possible that I'm related to Joan of Arc, and FOR SURE, I am related to the guy in this picture:


first of all what she'' needs'' is to be trounced when she comes in ridin too high,second of all if it makes me feel good ,I do not go looking for if it is a real world advantage,but that does sound like a good subject to bring up when sidestepping a chore

Mar 14, 2018 - 12:04:51 PM
like this

mjt0229 Players Union Member

USA

228 posts since 4/20/2015

quote:
Originally posted by Tractor1

Isn't there alot of trash dna,maybe I can tell her in her particular case it all looked the same.


Scientists tend to call it "junk DNA". There are vast stretches of the genome with no known function. There are a number of ideas as to why it's there - a library of formerly useful genes, DNA that codes for functional RNAs (instead of proteins), a place to store other information, possibly a way of ensuring DNA folds properly... It is metabolically expensive to keep around, because you need a lot energy and raw materials if you want to copy it (which has to happen every time a cell divides). That implies that organisms would ditch at least some of it, if it weren't serving some purpose.

I'm not a biologist but I work directly with them on things that manipulate genomes. It's really fascinating. Sorry this doesn't help with your sister-in-law, though.

Mar 14, 2018 - 12:07:31 PM
likes this

AndrewD

United Kingdom

1408 posts since 4/29/2012

As Anna said (and she was an archivist and historian who was always being asked to help people trace their forbears ). "Who wants to be a descendant ? I want to be an ancestor."

Mar 14, 2018 - 12:07:37 PM
likes this

donc

Canada

5442 posts since 2/9/2010

I have thought about the Ancestry.com test but I'm not sure about the 23 and Me test. My friend who is now 75 came to Canada from central Italy when he was 12. He always assumed he was pure Italian. His test results from Ancestry .com concluded he was Italian, Greek, Russian, and Iranian. Hundreds of years ago people did travel beyond their own country. His results should be no surprise. My father's line was mostly Scottish plus his mom who was Irish. I would conclude that my DNA could show as predominantly Swedish because Mom's dad was the only pure bread I know of in my ancestry. Has anyone used Ancestry.com ?

Mar 14, 2018 - 12:08:51 PM

1364 posts since 9/12/2016

quote:
Originally posted by mjt0229
quote:
Originally posted by Tractor1

Isn't there alot of trash dna,maybe I can tell her in her particular case it all looked the same.


Scientists tend to call it "junk DNA". There are vast stretches of the genome with no known function. There are a number of ideas as to why it's there - a library of formerly useful genes, DNA that codes for functional RNAs (instead of proteins), a place to store other information, possibly a way of ensuring DNA folds properly... It is metabolically expensive to keep around, because you need a lot energy and raw materials if you want to copy it (which has to happen every time a cell divides). That implies that organisms would ditch at least some of it, if it weren't serving some purpose.

I'm not a biologist but I work directly with them on things that manipulate genomes. It's really fascinating. Sorry this doesn't help with your sister-in-law, though.


fascinating

Mar 14, 2018 - 12:15:11 PM

5053 posts since 3/6/2006

Some genes are only carried on the Y chromosome.

Mar 14, 2018 - 4:55:29 PM
likes this

Brian T

Canada

13827 posts since 6/5/2008

The Y-linked genes are passed down only to male offspring. If Dad has just daughters,
any number of them, not one picks up the Y chromosome.

Mitochondria, little powerhouse organelles in every cell, have their own genetic code.
These things are in the female egg cell but none from the male sperm cell are involved in fertilization.
So all the kids get mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) from their mothers.

Like all DNA, mutations happen in mtDNA. Mostly silent, no obvious effects, but still they are changes in the code.
Those difference can be followed for as far as DNA samples can be found.

Over very long periods of time, hundreds of thousands if not a million+ years, mtDNA changes and changes with little mutations.
By comparing one with another, a very loose time frame suggests that humans migrated out of Africa.
Just when (multiple times?) is being tossed up right now with very old human fossil evidence in Europe.

Mar 14, 2018 - 5:17:57 PM
likes this

Mullie

USA

4440 posts since 10/6/2009

Yep, looks like we can be traced back to Lucy

Mar 14, 2018 - 5:35:24 PM
like this

6403 posts since 7/24/2013

My Ancestry came back “super white” like “you may be the whitest person who ever whited white”.

Mar 14, 2018 - 7:24:20 PM

5053 posts since 3/6/2006

Me too Mike - Vikings and their immediate neighbors. You can't even call me a Neanderthal because I didn't have much of that either!

Mar 14, 2018 - 9:37:53 PM
likes this

13403 posts since 8/14/2003

Hey.... saw a documentary awhile back that claimed a large percentage of people do have Neandertal genes..
Along with that, the back to Africa thing has been pretty much shot down with newer discoveries and techniques
Last count, up to 6 different species of early hominids..(humans)

Mar 15, 2018 - 2:34:13 AM
like this

Stephen John Prior

United Kingdom

971 posts since 4/25/2007

According to the test I'm only 8% British. Will i have to leave the UK after Brexit ?

Page: 1  2   3   Next Page   Last Page (3) 

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.296875