Premier Sponsors

Banjo Lovers Online

Page:  First Page   1  2

Dec 4, 2017 - 12:53:47 PM

dawgdoc

USA

8467 posts
Joined Aug 25, 2004

Yeah, I noticed that as well. I decided it was still too cool and I got a killer deal from a piano mover friend, so what the hell. Its not like I'm out of much money.

Its nothing more than a 77 string banjo. If she takes to it, I have enough room in my weird big house for a Steinway Grand. Ever seen the movie the Amityville horror? Not unlike my place.

Dec 4, 2017 - 1:02:49 PM

mander

USA

1915 posts
Joined Oct 7, 2007

When the boys were that age, a box, a stick, some string and a roll of tape was all they needed to be happy. Her expectations will only increase with age, so whatever you do, keep it modest. School changes things fast enough. Best wishes!

Dec 4, 2017 - 1:08:30 PM
likes this

dawgdoc

USA

8467 posts
Joined Aug 25, 2004

I picked her up at school after lunch, and she asked me if I would buy her an x-ray machine. 'Daddy, I want to read x-rays'. Seriously? I already let you play with a telescope, a microscope and now a piano. There is something seriously strange about this kid. I swear I had nothing to do with it.

Dec 4, 2017 - 2:31:16 PM

Jbo1

USA

469 posts
Joined May 19, 2007

If she collects rocks, does she have any corprolite? What kid can resist dinosaur dung?

Dec 4, 2017 - 3:29:54 PM

Brian T

Canada

13418 posts
Joined Jun 5, 2008

A rock saw and some coproliths and she will have designer jewelry!
From the Hoo Flung Poo Collection.

One of the better times of my day is the hour before supper.
My GF plays violin in 2 groups and also takes lessons.
I get a magical hour of pretty good playing while I sling the food together.

I hope the biped honors you in the same way.

Dec 4, 2017 - 3:45:35 PM

8574 posts
Joined Aug 22, 2006

Hey dawgdoc I have a suggestio.She wants rocks? Offer her a trip to the Crater of Diamonds State park in Arkansas if you can afford it and I would be more than happy to meet you and her there on a set date and help her and you find a diamond. I have my own equipment and would be honored to help you and her. Not saying we would find one but your odds go up if someone knows the place and how to do the mining. If this is something you would consider shoot me an email and we can get the ball rolling. Google..'P Allen Smith Crater of Diamonds' and see if you would be interested.

Edited by - 5B-Ranch on 12/04/2017 15:48:46

Dec 4, 2017 - 3:59:33 PM

bubbalouie

Canada

10142 posts
Joined Sep 27, 2007

My friend visited Meteor Crater in Arizona. He brought me back a piece in a little display box.

It's one of my favorite things! Anyone that likes rocks would love a rock from space.

Dec 4, 2017 - 5:12:09 PM
likes this

Tim13 Players Union Member

USA

3012 posts
Joined Apr 1, 2008

Hmmmmmm.

How about a collection of carnivorous plants. You can get them online, usually a couple of pitcher plants, and a couple of venus fly traps, in a plastic terrarium. They are not easy to take care of = a challenge for her. Yet they are fun to feed occasionally.

Tim

Dec 4, 2017 - 8:04:15 PM

dawgdoc

USA

8467 posts
Joined Aug 25, 2004

quote:
Originally posted by mike gregory

A real, live, full-sized sewing machine.

Gramma taught me to sew, when I was around six and a half.

Made myself various costumes, over the years.

And, about 15 years later, working in the hospital, was able to thread a needle, one-handed, LEFT handed, with rubber gloves on,and hand the suture to the surgeon.
Gramma was not INTENDING to train me to help save a life, but one never knows what future good one might cause.

You are so right.  I've left that up to Grandma.  She's teaching her to knit and sew already.  All she wanted for her 4th birthday was a telescope, so she got a good one.  She doesn't yet have a rock collection, but currently a collection of rocks (big difference) and I'm teaching her to mount butterflies (when she finds dead ones; no killing jar yet).  She's now on a 'I need an x-ray machine' kick, but I'm not going to spoil her too bad.  I briefly thought about teaching her the basics of taxidermy, but that's a little weird right now.  I'll wait a few more years.  I've seen 'Psycho'. 

Dec 4, 2017 - 8:06:31 PM

dawgdoc

USA

8467 posts
Joined Aug 25, 2004

quote:
Originally posted by Tim13

Hmmmmmm.

How about a collection of carnivorous plants. You can get them online, usually a couple of pitcher plants, and a couple of venus fly traps, in a plastic terrarium. They are not easy to take care of = a challenge for her. Yet they are fun to feed occasionally.

Tim

I have a sun room and a greenhouse.  That's brilliant.  My friend runs the local greenhouse.  I could score some.........

Dec 5, 2017 - 6:53:40 AM
likes this

figmo59

USA

26462 posts
Joined Mar 5, 2008

Hmmm...
Rock....n... skeletons.........

OH...!...OH...!!!!

I know....!!

You gotta git her some.....DYNAMITE.....!

THEN....She could have the ...best...of both Worlds....... ;0).. :0)

Dec 5, 2017 - 12:14:27 PM

dawgdoc

USA

8467 posts
Joined Aug 25, 2004

quote:
Originally posted by 5B-Ranch

Hey dawgdoc I have a suggestio.She wants rocks? Offer her a trip to the Crater of Diamonds State park in Arkansas if you can afford it and I would be more than happy to meet you and her there on a set date and help her and you find a diamond. I have my own equipment and would be honored to help you and her. Not saying we would find one but your odds go up if someone knows the place and how to do the mining. If this is something you would consider shoot me an email and we can get the ball rolling. Google..'P Allen Smith Crater of Diamonds' and see if you would be interested.

Hmmm....almost all of my left over family resides in southern Misery, so its not far away to combine the trip.  I'll be in touch.  I think I'm taking her up to an Opal mine soon, too....

Dec 5, 2017 - 12:22:07 PM

Jbo1

USA

469 posts
Joined May 19, 2007

And they do love company.

Dec 5, 2017 - 1:10:24 PM

mander

USA

1915 posts
Joined Oct 7, 2007

quote:
Originally posted by dawgdoc

I picked her up at school after lunch, and she asked me if I would buy her an x-ray machine. 'Daddy, I want to read x-rays'. Seriously? I already let you play with a telescope, a microscope and now a piano. There is something seriously strange about this kid. I swear I had nothing to do with it.

When my nephew's son was 4, he watched an open heart surgery on the internet. He kept going back for more. His mother said he had to watch something else for awhile, so now his big thing is figet spinners. One extreme to the other. :-)

Dec 5, 2017 - 1:56:05 PM

3545 posts
Joined Nov 29, 2005
Online Now

That is one gorgeous piano!

Looks like what you would have found in a saloon or a Honky Tonk.

Dec 5, 2017 - 5:07:28 PM

wizofos Players Union Member

USA

4162 posts
Joined Aug 19, 2012

All she needs with that piano is a derby hat, a plaid vest, a cigar and a mug of beer sitting on top of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8X0gZDFlN4

Dec 7, 2017 - 5:48:49 AM

Sawyer

USA

92 posts
Joined Oct 31, 2013
Online Now

Check out the American Science and Surplus store. There's one in Chicago (5316 N. Milwaukee Avenue). Fun store just to walk around in. (I think they sell skeletons).

www.sciplus.com

Edited by - Sawyer on 12/07/2017 05:51:54

Dec 7, 2017 - 2:06:51 PM
likes this

dawgdoc

USA

8467 posts
Joined Aug 25, 2004

Sawyer,
Thanks for the link. I ordered some pretty killer stocking stuffers, not the least of which is a microscope lens for an iPhone. There is some wicked cool things there.

Piano found its new home and a few new friends. Its in amazingly good shape and sounds great the best I can tell with my lousy skills. The critter on top was named by my biped after her dog. Its a Hopi-pottamus.

Dec 7, 2017 - 5:00:17 PM

bubbalouie

Canada

10142 posts
Joined Sep 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb_xrEXIhHE

I tried this for fun. It worked!

Page:  First Page   1  2

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories