Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Banjo Lovers Online

Page: 1  2   Last Page (2) 

Dec 3, 2017 - 6:07:09 PM
likes this
8468 posts
Joined Aug 25, 2004

She's got a Ukelele. Figmo already sent her a banjo. She's beaten my guitar into submission and adores her keyboard. I can't afford what I want, a big parlor sized piano, but all she wants from Santa is

1. rocks
2. skeletons

(did I mention she's MY kid?) So, for my four year old who still believes in Santa, she has arriving, a 50% size anatomically correct articulated skeleton of a human for her bedroom (don't freak out, she spends a lot of time in my teaching lab and nothing shocks her) and a rock tumbler with geodes and gemstones from Nat'l Geographic. All nerd stuff. Need some 'cool stuff to play with on Christmas morning' kinda ideas.

Dec 3, 2017 - 6:19:17 PM
like this

Mooooo

USA

1514 posts
Joined Aug 20, 2016
Online Now

The Skeleton is cool...if you need something cooler than that, you better get her a tattoo machine and some needles and ink...that should keep her busy.

Edited by - Mooooo on 12/03/2017 18:21:23

Dec 3, 2017 - 6:41:36 PM
like this

dawgdoc

USA

8468 posts
Joined Aug 25, 2004

That is such a VERY, VERY bad idea. I have a shaved head, and she already draws the lobes of the brain on my head that I have to wash off. NO, no, no :-)

Dec 3, 2017 - 6:45:08 PM
like this

Mooooo

USA

1514 posts
Joined Aug 20, 2016
Online Now

If you let her tattoo that on your head, then you can both be cool

Dec 3, 2017 - 6:45:35 PM

1282 posts
Joined Jul 28, 2015

Teenage Engineering Pocket Operator.

Dec 3, 2017 - 6:49:39 PM

bubbalouie

Canada

10152 posts
Joined Sep 27, 2007
Online Now

Dec 3, 2017 - 6:58:26 PM

Brian T

Canada

13418 posts
Joined Jun 5, 2008

Kids (teens) down the road built a gorgeous harp from a kit.
They shifted from a classic to Rolling Stones (I Can't Get No) in the middle of a concert.

What you really need now is a dead fridge from the dump. You need an audio cage for the tumbler, they run for days. . . . . . and days. . . . . . and days.

Dec 3, 2017 - 7:45:10 PM

13004 posts
Joined Aug 14, 2003
Online Now

You can never go wrong with the old,old Lincoln log sets..

Dec 3, 2017 - 7:52:42 PM

wizofos Players Union Member

USA

4164 posts
Joined Aug 19, 2012

If I would have known last summer could have given her a complete pelican skeleton we found on the Oregon beach. As for a piano, have you checked around for an old upright? There is a Lyon and Healy upright on Craigslist in Idaho Falls for $150 you haul. There are several others on Craigslist.

Sounds strange but have you considered a Lincoln Log set. She can learn to design and build things.

This is a fun toy since you can configure a lot of tracks and even do it on the fly.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/2pc-Magic-Twister-Glow-Light-Up-Tracks-Glow-In-the-Dark-Light-Up-Race-Tracks/918827467

I will talk to my daughter in Tri-Cities and  see if she has any ideas.  She has a houseful of nerds.

Dec 3, 2017 - 8:02:43 PM

dawgdoc

USA

8468 posts
Joined Aug 25, 2004

Love the suggestions! I just started digging into Craigs List. Because of the nature of the culture around here, pianos are pretty common I've just found out. I've got a flatbed, and know a tuner if I can score one. As for more skeletons, she calls daddy's lab 'my museum'.

As for Lincoln Logs, oh yeah, she has a arsenal of them :-) She's learned all about input and output levers and force generation for launching those little ones quite well.....

Dec 3, 2017 - 8:34:56 PM
likes this

dawgdoc

USA

8468 posts
Joined Aug 25, 2004

quote:
Originally posted by wizofos

There is a Lyon and Healy upright on Craigslist in Idaho Falls for $150 you haul. There are several others on Craigslist.

Dude, 

You are my new hero!  If it all works out, its mine (well, my kid's).  I'm sure I'll probably have to pay for a piano tuner, but I have friends.  I'll probably have to pay for a mover, but I have friends.  It looks like it belongs in an old saloon or a 115 year old farm house (my place is an old boarding school built in 1903).  Christmas shopping done :-)

Dec 4, 2017 - 4:22:26 AM

rinemb Players Union Member

USA

9706 posts
Joined May 24, 2005

I would at least get a meteorite for her stocking, and get that collection going...one that has been identified. Oh yeah, something non nerdy to play with. Hmmm, telescope, skates, bachhoe, antfarm, season one of Sheldon, Little House on the prairie bookset, American girl doll, rockets. Brunton compass. Brad

Edited by - rinemb on 12/04/2017 04:24:04

Dec 4, 2017 - 4:43:42 AM

Texasbanjo (Moderator)

USA

20606 posts
Joined Aug 3, 2003

What happened to little girls playing with dolls, having doll houses and such?  I guess your little one isn't into dolls?  At that age, both my girls loved baby dolls, doll clothes and doll houses.  How times change.

Dec 4, 2017 - 5:15:02 AM

morph2o

United Kingdom

169 posts
Joined Aug 9, 2017

not sure if you have it over there, a site called freecycle
people post stuff they no longer require for free to whoever needs it
i always keep an eye out for banjos, not seen one yet lol.
anyway, one musical instrument thats always showing up are pianos, i've never seen so many pianos being given away for free

Dec 4, 2017 - 6:11:37 AM

USA

4164 posts
Joined Aug 19, 2012

Dec 4, 2017 - 6:16:33 AM

stevel

USA

3746 posts
Joined Apr 7, 2009

How about one of those grow your own rocks/crystals kits?

Dec 4, 2017 - 6:16:50 AM

46612 posts
Joined Dec 14, 2005

A real, live, full-sized sewing machine.

Gramma taught me to sew, when I was around six and a half.

Made myself various costumes, over the years.

And, about 15 years later, working in the hospital, was able to thread a needle, one-handed, LEFT handed, with rubber gloves on,and hand the suture to the surgeon.
Gramma was not INTENDING to train me to help save a life, but one never knows what future good one might cause.

Dec 4, 2017 - 6:22:42 AM

USA

4164 posts
Joined Aug 19, 2012

quote:
Originally posted by Texasbanjo

What happened to little girls playing with dolls, having doll houses and such?  I guess your little one isn't into dolls?  At that age, both my girls loved baby dolls, doll clothes and doll houses.  How times change.

Don't know about your girls but my 8 year old grand-daughter plays with her dolls and doll house with her girl friends then goes out in the back yard and plays tackle football with her big brother and the neighborhood boys, wearing a skirt.  Some of the boys won't play football with her, she hits too hard.  She plays soccer, and likes to go fishing with Dad and Grandpa.

Our daughters were the same, what did we do wrong??  LOL

Edited by - wizofos on 12/04/2017 06:25:03

Dec 4, 2017 - 6:48:26 AM

rinemb Players Union Member

USA

9706 posts
Joined May 24, 2005

I have used the book "Teaching Children About Science" since about 1985.  For projects/experiments in classrooms, home, and other kids activities.  Appears in modern version they have made it into two books:  "Teaching Children About Physical Science" and "Teaching Children About Life and Earth Science".  You can look at both of them here.  Brad

https://www.amazon.com/Teaching-Children-About-Physical-Science/dp/0070376190

Dec 4, 2017 - 7:42:45 AM

8thpol Players Union Member

USA

5316 posts
Joined Mar 3, 2005

Official Red Ryder BB Gun with Compass in the stock and that thing that tells time.

Dec 4, 2017 - 7:53:19 AM

Brian T

Canada

13418 posts
Joined Jun 5, 2008

There's two kinds of kid activities.
a) things to do by yourself like piano, puzzles and art work.
b) things to do with other kids like many games, both indoors and out.

I think it's valuable to offer both.

Dec 4, 2017 - 8:13:51 AM
likes this

13138 posts
Joined Dec 2, 2005

quote:

Sounds to me as though she IS into dolls... she just prefers them with the skin off. ;-)

Dec 4, 2017 - 8:26:51 AM

6206 posts
Joined Jul 24, 2013

I got my daughter an electric piano. The damn thing is amazing it’s a full sized keyboard with properly weighted keys. It doesn’t have any fancy sound effects, just a legit piano.

Last year I got her a GoPro camera and she uses it to make videos of her playing her various instruments.

Dec 4, 2017 - 9:12:31 AM

dawgdoc

USA

8468 posts
Joined Aug 25, 2004

quote:

Sherry,

My kid has never cared.  She has some dolls.  Prefers to go out in the woods and look for bones and rocks.  She's not normal.  She spends time in my huge anatomy collection playing with crocodiles and fish and cats (her dolls).  She loves my virtual anatomy teaching system. 

But, she loves to sing and 'play' music and now I've scored an old parlor piano for her (got a tuner lined up).  She is starting ski lessons as soon as the ski hill opens and piano lessons in the Spring.  It would have been so much cheaper to buy her a nice electronic keyboard, but this is really cool....

Dec 4, 2017 - 11:17:51 AM

Texasbanjo (Moderator)

USA

20606 posts
Joined Aug 3, 2003

Dawgdoc:  my oldest daughter was the ultimate Tomboy.  Although she played with dolls, she also enjoyed getting out in the open, hiking, bicycle riding, climbing hills, playing in the dirt.  As she grew up, she was a girl scout and went all the way to Eagle scout and actually did some repelling off mountains (which upset me no end, but that's my kid).  Then she joined the Army and what did she have as a job?  She was an MP, she was a drill instructor.   She and her husband had Harleys and rode their motorcycles all over the U.S.  We always thought she was plumbed wrong.  Beautiful woman, but tough as any man. 

Edited by - Texasbanjo on 12/04/2017 11:19:09

Dec 4, 2017 - 11:19:33 AM
likes this

dmiller

USA

22728 posts
Joined Jul 22, 2007

quote:
Originally posted by dawgdoc
quote:
Originally posted by wizofos

There is a Lyon and Healy upright on Craigslist in Idaho Falls for $150 you haul. There are several others on Craigslist.

Dude, 

You are my new hero!  If it all works out, its mine (well, my kid's).  I'm sure I'll probably have to pay for a piano tuner, but I have friends.  I'll probably have to pay for a mover, but I have friends.  It looks like it belongs in an old saloon or a 115 year old farm house (my place is an old boarding school built in 1903).  Christmas shopping done :-)

Out of curiosity I took a look at the piano you bought on craigslist.  I've never seen a "short scale upright piano" before. Yours has 77 keys instead of 88  (3 keys missing from the top (treble) and 8 keys missing from the bottom (bass).  When you do get someone to tune it for you - - you should ask for a discount since it doesn't have all 88 keys!    

It looks like a really nice instrument, and if truth be told - - not many folks play those upper and lower keys that are missing on your piano anyway.  Here's hoping the biped will love it and learn to "pick piano".   smiley

Edited by - dmiller on 12/04/2017 11:33:48

Page: 1  2   Last Page (2) 

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories