Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Banjo Lovers Online

I Ordered The Osborne Chief (Part 8)

Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   ...  164   165   166  167

May 16, 2020 - 8:38:08 AM

828 posts since 8/6/2004

Since I haven’t been following this threat in quite a while, can someone post a link to the Ask Sonny Anything Column?

What I have been doing is reading the Jim Mills book. It has made me curious about Jim’s prewar seminars. I know this year is an aberration, but is he still doing them on a regular basis? Thanks, Kate

May 16, 2020 - 9:00:10 AM

chuckv97

Canada

50177 posts since 10/5/2013

Here’s the link to his latest entry
bluegrasstoday.com/ask-sonny-a...electric/

May 16, 2020 - 12:34:08 PM
likes this

334 posts since 7/1/2006

Hi Sonny, It's always so good to read your posts here and on Bluegrass Today. I have Chief MP-13 built in 2007, which is a good un of course. Sounds and looks awesome! Do you know how many of the MP Chiefs were made? Thanks so much!

Jun 3, 2020 - 5:19:15 PM

828 posts since 8/6/2004

Just got done reading the John McEuen biography. In the later part of the book he alludes to bad blood between Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs. So much so that they could get Earl to the the Circle album, but Lester Flatt refused , because He would not be in the studio with Earl.
I had heard that Louise was a very hard headed businesswoman. Much more so than Earl. I wondered If that was the source of the problem, or if it was something else? Anyone know?

Jun 3, 2020 - 5:53:35 PM

183 posts since 11/21/2015

Not sure but I do not think anyone knows, it is all hear say from here on in...??

Jun 9, 2020 - 6:23:15 PM

Dieselten

Australia

397 posts since 2/21/2012

Hi Sonny, sorry for the late reply.
My Osborne Chief is serial number 12 of 2007, made in May. It is loud & proud, speaks with authority and is my first "high-end" banjo. Once this isolation is over I'm looking forward to introducing it to a Bluegrass jam I go to a lot. Like everyone else I am hoping we can get back to a comfortable level of normal as soon as possible.
Cheers and stay safe from Downunder.

Jun 18, 2020 - 11:01:33 AM
like this

356 posts since 3/18/2013

Hello Friends,

Grand Ole Opry star and member of the Bluegrass Music Hall of Fame, Sonny Osborne will be our next guest for the “Life in Music” Summer Guest Artist Series, presented by ETSU Bluegrass, Old-Time, and Country Music Studies, on Tuesday, June 23, at 7:00 p.m. EDT.

As you all well know, starting in the early 1950s, Sonny Osborne performed with the Father of Bluegrass, Bill Monroe, and would eventually team up with his brother Bobby as The Osborne Brothers. Their major hit “Rocky Top,” released on Christmas Day in 1967, resulted in the Osborne Brothers becoming one of the most sought after country music acts for the next three decades.

Sonny’s interview is open to the public via Zoom (meeting ID: 963 433 8282) and Facebook Live. Director Dan Boner, Lecturer Kalia Yeagle, and ETSU alumnus Lincoln Hensley will facilitate the discussion and welcome Q&A from online viewers. More information about the event can be found here: facebook.com/events/1540206472817601/

Edited by - gibson49classic on 06/18/2020 11:02:28

Jun 23, 2020 - 8:15:33 AM
like this

2994 posts since 3/6/2005

Kate. I've been in touch with Jim Mills and he informs me that he is NOT DOING THE SEMINARS. 

Gary and Ned. You have Maple numbers 12 and 13. You asked how many Maple Chief banjos were made. Probably, without looking...I would guess somewhere about 300.

About the Flatt/Scruggs breakdown...there are people who have absolute knowledge but they won't divulge that trust.

ASK SONNY ANYTHING is several weeks into it's 2nd year and we're still kicking right along. Thank you all who have participated. It's a fun thing for me and I appreciate Terry Herd and John Lawless for giving me this opportunity to kinda stay in touch. 

s

Edited by - TheChief on 06/23/2020 08:17:31

Jun 23, 2020 - 8:55:49 AM

828 posts since 8/6/2004

quote:
Originally posted by TheChief

Kate. I've been in touch with Jim Mills and he informs me that he is NOT DOING THE SEMINARS. 

Gary and Ned. You have Maple numbers 12 and 13. You asked how many Maple Chief banjos were made. Probably, without looking...I would guess somewhere about 300.

About the Flatt/Scruggs breakdown...there are people who have absolute knowledge but they won't divulge that trust.

ASK SONNY ANYTHING is several weeks into it's 2nd year and we're still kicking right along. Thank you all who have participated. It's a fun thing for me and I appreciate Terry Herd and John Lawless for giving me this opportunity to kinda stay in touch. 

s

Thanks for all the good info Sonny.   I had hoped with the principles all gone now, maybe some of the truth could be told painlessly but realize that is not always the case.   

My best bet with Jim Mills may be to arrange to visit his store.  I learned a lot from his book, but some things just need to be seen in person. 

As you might remember I have two Chief banjos purchased directly from you.   The first one was part of the special Greg Rich edition with the engraved parts.     The second is a Walnut model with the beautiful flying Eagle inlays, and I believe a Bean Blossom neck.  
Now that my husband has retired and come back from Japan, (along with being homebodies for the last three months) I have had a lot of time to practice, and am enjoying both banjos more than ever.   

I am really hoping that this craziness will all be behind us, come November.   Praying for that, but have never been so glad to live in Wyoming.   Best to all,   Kate

Jun 23, 2020 - 9:01:12 AM

183 posts since 11/21/2015

It will be with us until.thefe is a vacine...

Jun 27, 2020 - 4:35:34 AM
likes this

Texasbanjo (Moderator)

USA

24482 posts since 8/3/2003

Okay, we all know better than to talk politics. I have hidden a bunch of political posts.

Please, follow the rules which say NO POLITICS or I will either have to lock this topic and/or give a time out to those who refuse to follow the rules.

Jul 2, 2020 - 9:24:53 AM

3 posts since 6/30/2020

@TheChief / Sonny -

Some kind forum members helped me identify your Ugly Tuners in this post I made:  https://www.banjohangout.org/topic/365904/.  I'd like to purchase one, and wanted to ask if the purchase instructions bellow are still correct.  Say the word, and I'll send a cashiers check your way.  Also, what is the approximate lead time?  Thanks!

Some people run when they hear the price, but if you are a serious banjo player and want the best, these are the right choice. Ask anyone who has them. I guarantee them. If within two weeks you are not satisfied with their performance, and they have not been altered nor abused in any way, and still in new condition, I will refund your money. The price is $285 plus $5 shipping in the USA.  Order the tuner by sending a cashiers check to; Sonny Osborne. PO Box 647. Hendersonville, Tennessee 37077. Include your mailing address Please.

All the best,
Michael Lindsey
Lenexa, KS

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   ...  164   165   166  167

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories