The banjo reviews database is here to help educate people before they purchase an instrument. Of course, this is not meant to be a substitute for playing the instrument yourself!
6904 reviews in the archive.
This is a BIG shout-out for Grant MacNeill and "The 12th Fret Guitarists' Pro Shop" in Toronto, ON, Canada. Grant is the owner and (among other things) banjo expert.
I had a problem with the 5th string tuning machine, on my left-handed, Gold Tone CCOTA , which I bought directly from Gold Tone less than one-year ago. I sent Grant a detailed description of the problem via email. He was Very helpful with his advice via email. I took my banjo to his shop so he could look at it.
He spent about 90 minutes with me at his workbench:
- replaced the tuning machine (with a Waverly 5th String Peg, which I had previously ordered from http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Banjo_tuners/Waverly_Banjo_Tuners/Waverly_Planetary_5th_String_Peg.html,
- removed the plastic 5th string nut,
- installed a capo spike for the 5th string (similar to a Deering 5th string set-up)
- did a complete banjo set-up (truss rod, co-rod, head tension, filed nut slots, adjusted tailpiece and set the intonation) and....
- he gave me a wealth of info about banjos and guitars as we chatted while he worked.
I will also add that Grant employs six, full-time, luthiers in the 12th Fret repair shop, but he took time out of his routine and did this job himself.
It's been about a month since Grant fixed my banjo. It plays, feels and sounds like a different, much better instrument! I love it!
I had never met Grant before that day. I am not a long-time or highly valued 12th Fret customer. I hadn't even been in his shop for about 15 years. For all his labour and advice, Grant charged me less than what I had paid for the Waverly tuning machine!
I've heard other folks praise the 12th Fret, but, I live about 100 km away (65 miles) and quite often, about half the trip is bumper-to-bumper, so, I did not shop there.
However, I will not go anywhere else now for my stringed instrument needs.
So, if you are in the area, or even close...Go See Grant!
Overall Rating: 10
I've delt with Grant at the Twelth Fret previously with mandolin and banjo questions- not only does he answer them, he takes the extra time time to ask questions and make sure you get the answers you need. Just bought a Wildwood banjo off him, and you could not ask for better service or a price!
Overall Rating: 10
'Fender FB 58 Banjo:' 2 hrs
'Have we already met?' 3 hrs
'Mac Benford' 4 hrs
'chokin the chicken' 6 hrs
'Tricky Plane Landings' 7 hrs
'WALKING IN THE PARLOR' 8 hrs
'wtb faux catalin buttons' 10 hrs
'Gibson Flint Hill Special' 10 hrs