The banjo reviews database is here to help educate people before they purchase an instrument. Of course, this is not meant to be a substitute for playing the instrument yourself!
7071 reviews in the archive.
Where Purchased: Melb, AUS.
I purchased this Grover ACOUSTICRAFT™ for my Deering Goodtime II, replacing the stock bridge. Strings are D' Addario Nickel Wound Medium Gauge.
I observed the following:
1. Sound is less plunky.
2. Clearer note separation.
3. Sound quality is more continuous across the finger board.
4. Better acoustic balance between higher and lower strings....the 4th string use to be somewhat dull compared to the other strings. Not any more.
5. The action is higher, but I don't mind.
7. Increased overall volume.
8. Increased ambient resonance.
9. Brighter, crisper tone towards the bridge and mellow but resonant tones towards the neck.
10. Fet's 16-22 on the 1st string produce fuller sound and less "plinky".
Overall, the sound has improved. However, I don't believe a higher end banjo would benefit from this bridge.
1. Makes an annoying buzzing sound when capo as second fret or higher, or when playing hard.... -3
This bridge cost $17.50 AUS, and I recommend it for this Banjo (tailpiece is stock) with these strings.
Update: Since having acquired a higher end banjo, I completely forgot about this review. But I do remember replacing that Grover bridge with a higher end Deering bridge and string buzz went away.
My current banjo would not benefit from a Grover at all.
Overall Rating: 5
'Try Harder Not to Suck!' 53 min
'A friend's Fairbanks' 2 hrs
'Tenor/5 String strings' 2 hrs
'BUYING TIRES !!!!!!' 3 hrs