Friday, February 6, 2009 @6:19:44 PM
I'll post pictures and a sound clip in a day or two. This project has been a long time coming. I've had the 7 1/2 in tin since Christmas of 07. I wanted to do a mini banjo, this has an 18 1/2 scale length.
I got it done this week dispite the cold cause I'm going into the Hospital for a C Section in a few days and I'm going to have NOTHING to do, so I thought a cookie tine would be perfect. It's light enought not to bother my incision, it's small enough to store in my bag, and it's quiet enough not to disturb any one else stuck there for a few days.
On to the Banjo:
Tuners I got from a local music shop, used ones, they work GREAT. I didn't take too much time doing things precise, and for that I almost had to redrill the holes for teh tuners cause they were almost too far in. The nut is from a peanutbutter jar lid, the strings I had, the bridge I had, but I filed it down, might need to take it down soem more, and I had teh screws and varnish and everything else.
I used my jig saw to cut the basic shape of the neck and peg head, my dremel tool and a file to shape it and soften teh corners, then I sanded it all down, drilled the holes for the tuners, and staned and varnished it. It took me about 8 hours of combined work start to finish, possiable 10 if you count in the finishing touches, and the plans.
Now I have a few days to tinker with frets and get use to it before I go in to the hospital. Not bad. :)