Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

276
Banjo Lovers Online


 All Forums
 Other Banjo-Related Topics
 Other Banjo-Related Topics
 ARCHIVED TOPIC: bela fleck interview with rick beato


Please note this is an archived topic, so it is locked and unable to be replied to. You may, however, start a new topic and refer to this topic with a link: http://www.banjohangout.org/archive/394919

Silver_Falls - Posted - 01/03/2024:  06:43:32


Candid, wide-ranging interview with Bela Fleck:

youtu.be/_xNR2VHOzcY

Something for everyone banjo-related: practice, inspiration, performance, production, equipment, history...

Bela previews one of his latest projects, playing Gershwin. Breathtaking mastery!

Beato does well to guide the discussion along from time to time, while mostly staying out of Bela's way.

Excellent interview, highly recommended!

Brian Murphy - Posted - 01/03/2024:  06:49:24


Beato's videos are addictive. He is great at making very complex issues accessible and he knows what viewers want. This is another good example. His songwriting stuff is very interesting where he breaks down different songs and explains why they did what they did to enhance the song. There is a bio of him somewhere. Guy had a hard, musician-like life and scrapped to survive into his mid-life years.
And then his YouTube videos took off. Now A-list rockers line up to interviewed by him.

eagleisland - Posted - 01/03/2024:  10:02:57


Steal yourself an hour and watch/listen to this vid... it's worth it.

Old Hickory - Posted - 01/03/2024:  10:36:57


Search out the videos of Beato's son demonstrating perfect pitch from a very young age. Way beyond recognizing and naming any note, he can hear and dissect a 5- or 6-note chord and sing an arpeggio of any chord.

Sunrise Lee - Posted - 01/03/2024:  10:49:23


I watched this last night and it was a great interview. I enjoy Rick Beato's interviews in general as he asks a lot of "musician" questions. It is refreshing to see someone that has his knowledge interviewing folks.

chuckv97 - Posted - 01/03/2024:  12:42:46


Great stuff… Beato gets his interviewees to open up about things,, also, he’s very knowledgeable about music. Also loved his vid with Jimmy Webb and also his breakdown of “If You Could Read My Mind”.

Old Hickory - Posted - 01/03/2024:  13:03:00


quote:

Originally posted by chuckv97

Great stuff… Beato gets his interviewees to open up about things,, also, he’s very knowledgeable about music. Also loved his vid with Jimmy Webb and also his breakdown of “If You Could Read My Mind”.






Is that Jimmy Webb video the same one in which he dissected "Wichita Lineman" -- which he thinks is one of the best songs ever.



If not, be sure to check that one out.

Old Hickory - Posted - 01/03/2024:  14:41:34


quote:

Originally posted by Silver_Falls

Candid, wide-ranging interview with Bela Fleck






Thank you so much for finding and sharing this. I do subscribe to Rick Beato's channel, but if YouTube put this in my feed, I didn't see it.



There doesn't seem to be an official Rhapsody in Blue video. The few on YouTube all appear to be shot by audience members. This one is the whole piece. Solo.  He's on tour, so if he comes to a city near you . . .



The interview is so worth watching. It's about Bela. It's about banjo. It's about music. It's about gear. It's about recording. It's about technique. It's about being a musician at all different levels from beginner to virtuoso. It's about life. There's inspiration at every turn. And so much to relate to.



This was an hour-eighteen well spent.

eagleisland - Posted - 01/03/2024:  15:30:11


What Ken said.


 


 


quote:

Originally posted by Old Hickory

quote:

Originally posted by Silver_Falls

Candid, wide-ranging interview with Bela Fleck






Thank you so much for finding and sharing this. I do subscribe to Rick Beato's channel, but if YouTube put this in my feed, I didn't see it.



There doesn't seem to be an official Rhapsody in Blue video. The few on YouTube all appear to be shot by audience members. This one is the whole piece. Solo.  He's on tour, so if he comes to a city near you . . .



The interview is so worth watching. It's about Bela. It's about banjo. It's about music. It's about gear. It's about recording. It's about technique. It's about being a musician at all different levels from beginner to virtuoso. It's about life. There's inspiration at every turn. And so much to relate to.



This was an hour-eighteen well spent.






 

eagleisland - Posted - 01/03/2024:  15:31:19


quote:

Originally posted by Old Hickory

 



Is that Jimmy Webb video the same one in which he dissected "Wichita Lineman" -- which he thinks is one of the best songs ever.



If not, be sure to check that one out.






Far as I'm concerned, it IS one of the best songs ever.

Old Hickory - Posted - 01/03/2024:  16:12:02


Folks should also watch Rick Beato's video from four months ago right after he had seen Bela as a 45-minute solo opener for Shakti (John McLaughlin band). He talks about that show in the interview video.



It is so great to see a stage and studio musician of Rick's ability and stature express his complete and honest amazement at Bela Fleck's virtuosity. For as much as knows about music and musicians, I guess Rick isn't aware of what's been happening on banjo the past four or five decades. He does his best to share his unabashed awe with his 3.8 million subscribers. 

Silver_Falls - Posted - 01/03/2024:  16:37:19


quote:

Originally posted by Old Hickory

Folks should also watch Rick Beato's video from four months ago right after he had seen Bela as a 45-minute solo opener for Shakti (John McLaughlin band). He talks about that show in the interview video.



It is so great to see a stage and studio musician of Rick's ability and stature express his complete and honest amazement at Bela Fleck's virtuosity. For as much as knows about music and musicians, I guess Rick isn't aware of what's been happening on banjo the past four or five decades. He does his best to share his unabashed awe with his 3.8 million subscribers. 






Yes, that's when Rick seemed like he "discovered" Bela for the first time.  Really cool that he followed it up with the full-on interview yesterday.



Hope Rick also discovers Sierra Hull pretty soon.  It would be terrific to see an interview with her!

ChunoTheDog - Posted - 01/05/2024:  07:20:02


I like how Bela's tone and attitude towards bluegrass has mellowed over the years.
He's much less hollier-than-thou in his interviews these past few years.
Refreshing.

Laurence Diehl - Posted - 01/05/2024:  23:17:15


Great. It was the perfect balance of an interviewer who asks insightful questions to a virtuoso who can actually explain himself. Both are rare. I came away inspired.

banjoak - Posted - 01/07/2024:  01:33:16


I enjoy  Rick's channel and videos; and others like that which get into those aspects about music, breaking down some aspects often glossed over or ignored. 



One of which is about thinking how instruments sound not just to the player, but to listener, sits in a mix (arrangement, volume and EQ); some of which can be a counter intuitive.  Talking about Bella's banjo mic techniques was interesting.

L50EF15 - Posted - 01/16/2024:  15:02:29


Watching it now, and it’s fascinating. I must grab some more of Bela’s music; all I have for now is the album he did with the Marcus Roberts Trio, “Across The Imaginary Divide”.

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent
Copyright 2024 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.09375