Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

485
Banjo Lovers Online


Discussion Forum

Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!

 All Forums
 Other Banjo-Related Topics
 Collector's Corner
 ARCHIVED TOPIC: Arthur Tilley banjo info?


Please note this is an archived topic, so it is locked and unable to be replied to. You may, however, start a new topic and refer to this topic with a link: http://www.banjohangout.org/archive/360508

leusch - Posted - 01/21/2020:  11:16:29


I just bought this banjo. I wonder if anyone has any info to share on these. It has had the first five frets removed and a brass plate installed. I think i will return it to original. It plays well and has good intonation. I will put a skin head on it also. It has no fret board and the dowel is split with the top piece fitting as a shim basically. Mahogany neck , someone added two brass rods to the bottom of the brass pot. it appears to be no 283. I like the tone of it .







 

beegee - Posted - 01/21/2020:  12:25:10


vintagebanjomaker.com/tilley/4594323564

Stephen John Prior - Posted - 01/21/2020:  12:45:11


The neck looks like it came off a Lyon and Healy It certainly doesn't appear to be original to the pot imo. Most of the Tilley banjos I've seen had more fancy/ornate necks.

tdennis - Posted - 01/21/2020:  12:55:57


The peghead is certainly reminiscent of Lyon & Healy.

AndrewD - Posted - 01/21/2020:  23:44:36


Hi Steve. Now I've seen the photos I have to agree that that doesn't look like the original neck. Both of my Tilley's (a 5 string and a 7 string) have a very different heel and peghead shape, an ebony fretboard and a 25 1/2 " scale. Also the "2 part dowel" sounds like a commonly seen mod to allow extreme changes to the neck angle where a wedge of wood is added to the dowel to allow movement of the end screw.
I've added photos of mine. The 5 string is similar to the 7 string but has a round rather than square dowel and does not have a metal heelplate.


Stephen John Prior - Posted - 01/22/2020:  00:27:36


quote:

Originally posted by AndrewD

Hi Steve. Now I've seen the photos I have to agree that that doesn't look like the original neck. Both of my Tilley's (a 5 string and a 7 string) have a very different heel and peghead shape, an ebony fretboard and a 25 1/2 " scale. Also the "2 part dowel" sounds like a commonly seen mod to allow extreme changes to the neck angle where a wedge of wood is added to the dowel to allow movement of the end screw.

I've added photos of mine. The 5 string is similar to the 7 string but has a round rather than square dowel and does not have a metal heelplate.






Hey there you go. Nice pair there Andrew. I see both have a split 2nd which is also a pretty common feature on Tilley banjos.  



I have a seven string neck from a L & H somewhere with the same heel pattern as the OP.


Edited by - Stephen John Prior on 01/22/2020 00:32:55

Jimmy Sutton - Posted - 01/22/2020:  02:40:38


I once owned a Tilley with Plate Glass fitted to the back with a crescent shape cut out to allow some sound to escape. Has anyone else seen a similar one. I gave it to a friend who still has it.

Stephen John Prior - Posted - 01/22/2020:  06:04:14


quote:

Originally posted by Jimmy Sutton

I once owned a Tilley with Plate Glass fitted to the back with a crescent shape cut out to allow some sound to escape. Has anyone else seen a similar one. I gave it to a friend who still has it.






On seeing the two brass rods added to the op example i had wondered if they were added for fitting some kind of resonator. Plate glass to my mind sounds a bit wild but I would like to see a photo of your friends.  

leusch - Posted - 01/23/2020:  07:37:31


Thank you It does seem to be a LnH neck and i was able to see photos of exactly the same neck. The pot seems good sounding and it plays well with good intonation up the neck. does anyone have info on the tilley pot construction? I read somewhere it was cast not spun. My only problem is now i have to learn FRed Cockerham instead of queen of the burlesque. thanks



 

AndrewD - Posted - 01/23/2020:  09:02:58


I always assumed mine was rolled from a sheet of metal. But I can't see any brazing line and a friend who knows about such things thinks it was cast and finished on a lathe. However it was done it achieves a pot that is incredibly strong - no chance of "egging" - and sounds excellent. I'm assuming it didn't catch on because it was difficult and expensive

AndrewD - Posted - 01/23/2020:  11:01:35


While Googling around to see what else was out there I came across this. It's either a tenor banjo 25 years before anybody else was making them or another re-necked head. Or something else ? The neck does look like a cross between my Tilleys and the one on the banjomakers website. The website said that Tilley was an early proponent of plectrum style banjo. So maybe he invented a 17 fret 4 string banjo in the 1880s ?

banjobuyer.com/banjo/75020

 

AndrewD - Posted - 01/24/2020:  00:49:12


Looks like the 4 string was for sale by 'Shop the Folk' here . Maybe they could tell us a bit more about it ? Looks like you can't tag users using the "@" if they have spaces in their username ! I'll PM them to see if they have any more info.

Stephen John Prior - Posted - 01/24/2020:  02:41:05


quote:

Originally posted by AndrewD

banjobuyer.com/banjo/75020

 






I would think this one was originally a 5 string Andrew.

AndrewD - Posted - 01/24/2020:  05:26:21


Closer look it seems that somebody has overlaid a new fretboard over the original. But it doesn't look like the 5th string bump has been shaved down or the neck shortened. And it does look like a Tilley neck. Strange.

Stephen John Prior - Posted - 01/24/2020:  05:49:47


quote:

Originally posted by AndrewD

Closer look it seems that somebody has overlaid a new fretboard over the original. But it doesn't look like the 5th string bump has been shaved down or the neck shortened. And it does look like a Tilley neck. Strange.






Hard to tell from the photo. But the bass side of the neck looks a bit odd. Or it could have been a Tango/Melody banjo ! I think he was still making into the 1900's

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.078125