Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

356
Banjo Lovers Online


Discussion Forum

Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!

 All Forums
 Other Topics
 Off-Topic (Not Banjo Related)
 ARCHIVED TOPIC: [FF] About putting the turkey DIRECTLY from frozen, into the Deep Fryer


Please note this is an archived topic, so it is locked and unable to be replied to. You may, however, start a new topic and refer to this topic with a link: http://www.banjohangout.org/archive/359128

mike gregory - Posted - 12/02/2019:  15:33:12


Fun to watch, FROM A DISTANCE!





 



tmercks - Posted - 12/03/2019:  06:40:44


Mine goes in the smoker (thawed). And the resulting smoked gravy afterward is pure heaven.

rinemb - Posted - 12/03/2019:  08:16:50


YIKES!

Wet Spaniel - Posted - 12/03/2019:  08:20:17


When I first heard about frying turkeys, after googling it I ended up losing and hour to YouTube and drunk men setting fire to the garages and garden buildings

DC5 - Posted - 12/03/2019:  09:03:16


All these warnings are in the instructions of the deep fryer, but men become illiterate when it comes to reading instructions and warnings. The GPS was created simply because men would not stop and ask directions. The Y chromosome is really a broken X chromosome, and the part that reads warnings and instructions and asks for directions is on that piece that broke off.

Bill Rogers - Posted - 12/03/2019:  12:49:20


You can, however, put a frozen turkey in the oven and have it come out fine. Take your drill and drill a hole in the bird where you place a meat thermometer. Push said thermometer into the hole. Put the turkey in the oven and cook until the thermometer indicates it’s done. Remove and let stand. Works fine,

figmo59 - Posted - 12/03/2019:  14:17:14


I think they call that ...
Flash Fried Mike..................... :0)

figmo59 - Posted - 12/03/2019:  14:20:49


quote:

Originally posted by DC5

All these warnings are in the instructions of the deep fryer, but men become illiterate when it comes to reading instructions and warnings. The GPS was created simply because men would not stop and ask directions. The Y chromosome is really a broken X chromosome, and the part that reads warnings and instructions and asks for directions is on that piece that broke off.






Well Dave...



 



At least ya can now sue the manfucture...fer your missuse...

DC5 - Posted - 12/03/2019:  14:42:09


quote:

Originally posted by Bill Rogers

You can, however, put a frozen turkey in the oven and have it come out fine. Take your drill and drill a hole in the bird where you place a meat thermometer. Push said thermometer into the hole. Put the turkey in the oven and cook until the thermometer indicates it’s done. Remove and let stand. Works fine,






Don't you have to turn the oven on?

Brian T - Posted - 12/03/2019:  15:39:35


Dingaling deserves a Darwin for stupidly overfilling the pot.
Of course it will burn. What an ultramaroon door-knob.
I guess it is possible to pack that much dumbness into one head.

$20.00 junk gasser in a yard sale. Maybe a pound of apple wood.
Smoker duty = smoke for the first hour at 275F over a good cumin rub.
5-6 hrs more and supper is on.

I need slaw, potato salad and spicy beans for sides.

Bill Rogers - Posted - 12/03/2019:  17:24:20


quote:

Originally posted by DC5

quote:

Originally posted by Bill Rogers

You can, however, put a frozen turkey in the oven and have it come out fine. Take your drill and drill a hole in the bird where you place a meat thermometer. Push said thermometer into the hole. Put the turkey in the oven and cook until the thermometer indicates it’s done. Remove and let stand. Works fine,






Don't you have to turn the oven on?




Well, yeah. You also have to unwrap the turkey and set the oven temperature.  







 


Edited by - Bill Rogers on 12/03/2019 17:26:46

bubbalouie - Posted - 12/03/2019:  17:59:53


I have a turkey fryer I bought at Wally world. It has a timer that shuts off the burner every 15 mins. Pain in the butt.



We've only tried one turkey in it. I didn't have a good thermometer then & the bird was really dark brown.



We pulled it out thinking it was done. It was raw inside & finished it the oven. Not for me!



I have used it for a low country boil & it was really good!



Peanut oil might be cheap in the States but not here, it's 50 bucks to fill it & then you have to deal with all that oil. It's good when other people do it! 



 

bubbalouie - Posted - 12/03/2019:  18:35:13




After U.S. Thanksgiving turkey legs & wings are on sale here in bags for a buck each,



I used a Disney Leg recipe & cured & smoked these. They are great on there own or in a pot of beans.



 

bluegrassbanjopicker - Posted - 12/03/2019:  19:18:36


That turkey looks YUMMY!



Makes my mouth water just looking at it. Digital food!


Edited by - bluegrassbanjopicker on 12/03/2019 19:19:10

figmo59 - Posted - 12/04/2019:  06:21:47


Ditto ..what Luke said..!

DC5 - Posted - 12/04/2019:  06:29:05


quote:

Originally posted by Bill Rogers

quote:

Originally posted by DC5

quote:

Originally posted by Bill Rogers

You can, however, put a frozen turkey in the oven and have it come out fine. Take your drill and drill a hole in the bird where you place a meat thermometer. Push said thermometer into the hole. Put the turkey in the oven and cook until the thermometer indicates it’s done. Remove and let stand. Works fine,






Don't you have to turn the oven on?




Well, yeah. You also have to unwrap the turkey and set the oven temperature.  







 






Well now it's getting complicated, no wonder so many people burn their houses down at Thanksgiving 'cause they don't read the directions. devil

Owen - Posted - 12/04/2019:  06:59:37


 

Originally posted by Bill Rogers

   <snip> ...Well, yeah. You also have to unwrap the turkey and set the oven temperature.  




....huh??   ... and all the while yer wife stands around doin' nuthin' ?????    cheeky


Edited by - Owen on 12/04/2019 07:04:52

eagleisland - Posted - 12/04/2019:  08:16:26


Turkey is nasty.

Deep-fried turkey is even nastier.

There, I said it.

I &^%$#@! hate turkey.

Owen - Posted - 12/04/2019:  08:31:34


Skip, maybe you and Knothead over in the "Land Sharks" thread could work out a a mutually beneficial swap agreement??  devil



Here's his take on "wild boar":   "..... I hear some people say they taste good but they don't to me. I have eaten a lot of them and every one I have eaten taste them same, Like Piss!"


Edited by - Owen on 12/04/2019 08:33:35

eagleisland - Posted - 12/04/2019:  08:37:57


quote:

Originally posted by Owen

Skip, maybe you and Knothead over in the "Land Sharks" thread could work out a a mutually beneficial swap agreement??  devil



Here's his take on "wild boar":   "..... I hear some people say they taste good but they don't to me. I have eaten a lot of them and every one I have eaten taste them same, Like Piss!"






Yeah, saw that. What the hell does he know? wink



Actually, I'm not in a position to say whether his wild boar tasted like piss or not. What I do know is that turkey tastes like turkey, and I don't like it.

Brian T - Posted - 12/04/2019:  09:39:28


I got invited to a real "pitchfork fondue." Fed steaks to 100 people in 20 minutes.
Buffet of sides to pick from. Dogs and burgers for the kids.
Mixed oils, they said. Maybe 30(?) gallons in the pot, wood-fired, 15(?) T-bones on each fork.
Rolled into the farm yard in a custom 18-wheeler and set-up was in minutes.

I never could "rush" food. Even frozen pot pies in a toaster oven took 30 minutes.
Relax. Have a slurp and a good scratch. Wiggle my toes and think about my work day.
No computer, no internet, no email. Just sit and relax. Life is like baking a potato.

Bill Rogers - Posted - 12/04/2019:  10:12:48


quote:

Originally posted by Owen

 

Originally posted by Bill Rogers

    ...Well, yeah. You also have to unwrap the turkey and set the oven temperature.  




....huh??   ... and all the while yer wife stands around doin' nuthin' ?????    cheeky






Trust me, drilling a thermometer hole in a frozen turkey is strictly a guy thing.

eagleisland - Posted - 12/04/2019:  11:31:36


quote:

Originally posted by Bill Rogers





Trust me, drilling a thermometer hole in a frozen turkey is strictly a guy thing.






 



In that I'm a guy, I find this thing appealing. It might make me re-think my relationship to turkey. What size bit do you use? How many holes do you have to drill before that nasty meat is all drilled out?

figmo59 - Posted - 12/04/2019:  14:35:39


quote:

Originally posted by eagleisland

Turkey is nasty.



Deep-fried turkey is even nastier.



There, I said it.



I &^%$#@! hate turkey.






Wellll..then...........



 



Extra..Extra...



Frootcake fer you.....!



 



 



;0)

eagleisland - Posted - 12/04/2019:  14:51:20


quote:

Originally posted by figmo59

 



Wellll..then...........



 



Extra..Extra...



Frootcake fer you.....!


 




If you never want me to come to dinner again...



...serve a turkey. Make the stuffing with fruitcake.

RV6 - Posted - 12/04/2019:  15:24:08


The last time I had turkey for Thanksgiving?   Probably around 1991 when my mom died.  After that --- beef.



For fifty years, we had prime rib at my wife's family's ranch south of Valentine, NE.  They always had beef.  Looked at me funny when I mentioned turkey.   I was a third generation cattleman but we had turkey when I was growing up.  The wife's folks never did.



We went to Denver for Thanksgiving this year and bought a $100.00 plus piece of prime rib, locally.  It was OK but we generally bought aged, prime grade prime rib in either Lexington or Valentine, NE.  I don't know if my two daughter's can remember ever having turkey.

bubbalouie - Posted - 12/04/2019:  17:53:04


I didn't know this was a controversy. Now I can picture of people walking around gnawing on emu legs!



Might be a good idea if they get out of control Again.  Probably tastes like chicken!



snopes.com/fact-check/disney-t...-leg-emu/ 



I like the part where the guy says they must be emu because they taste like ham! 



They're cured You dummy!  


Edited by - bubbalouie on 12/04/2019 18:04:22

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.078125