Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

395
Banjo Lovers Online


Discussion Forum

Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!

 All Forums
 Other Topics
 Off-Topic (Not Banjo Related)
 ARCHIVED TOPIC: Fake DIY videos


Please note this is an archived topic, so it is locked and unable to be replied to. You may, however, start a new topic and refer to this topic with a link: http://www.banjohangout.org/archive/359063

Mooooo - Posted - 11/30/2019:  12:59:52


Sometimes I fall into the trap of watching videos that claim to teach you some great thing that saves you a ton of money, they go on and on and never get to the thing that brought you there in the first place.

There is one that tells me that I can revive dead batteries back to new at no cost and it is very simple. Car batteries, laptop batteries, Double A's, tripple A's, C batteries, batteries for your electronics, batteries for your toothbrush, batteries for your cameras batteries for your etc...etc...and John Smith of Cincinnati, Ohio is doing it, Marsha Jones of Miami, Florida is doing it, then there's Bill Wuthersby of Glasgow, Scotland, Pierre Thibot of Garches, France, and M'butu Click-click from Thabala, Botswana...etc...and they go on and on for half an hour and still don't tell you how to do it...

Why do people waste their time making these videos? Are they hacking my computer, giving me a virus? Maybe they are brainwashing me with subliminal suggestions, I don't know, but why? Can someone please tell me why?

Brian T - Posted - 11/30/2019:  14:39:47


No, they are just incomptent.
They are genuinely convinced that they have made a serious contribution to knowledge.

I've met them. They have answers for everything. Their answers rarely match the question.
Then they get angry because they can't understand anything that really does answer the question.

I ask a question, expecting a yes or no answer. That's all I need. Simple yes or no.
Instead, I get a verbal paragraph about the subject.
I will be met with open hostility if I ask a second time.

Banjo Lefty - Posted - 11/30/2019:  15:17:13


Usually, they're trying to sell you something.

bubbalouie - Posted - 11/30/2019:  18:37:18


We bought a little blue tooth speaker to play our tunes when the power went out. It came with instructions in English so we went to try it out when we got home.



It had lights, made sounds & wouldn't work with the wire or wireless. It was so frustrating we swore at it & maybe each other a few times! 



The all knowing GOOGLE is right at our finger tips. We punch in the make & model number & there's lots of videos on it. We try the top one & watch while this guy that just loves to hear himself talk drones on & on while opening the box.



We patiently wait for an explanation on the buttons. The guy shows you all the wrappings & then Boom! That's it! It's a video on how to take it out of the box! Period.



I looked it up & apparently people get paid to make Unboxing videos! That's a job?!



I took it back the next day & the guy said "Yep! It's a Lemon!" & gave me one that worked immediately after "unboxing" it!  



 



 

Paul R - Posted - 11/30/2019:  21:20:34


quote:

Originally posted by bubbalouie

We bought a little blue tooth speaker to play our tunes when the power went out. It came with instructions in English so we went to try it out when we got home.



It had lights, made sounds & wouldn't work with the wire or wireless. It was so frustrating we swore at it & maybe each other a few times! 



The all knowing GOOGLE is right at our finger tips. We punch in the make & model number & there's lots of videos on it. We try the top one & watch while this guy that just loves to hear himself talk drones on & on while opening the box.



We patiently wait for an explanation on the buttons. The guy shows you all the wrappings & then Boom! That's it! It's a video on how to take it out of the box! Period.



I looked it up & apparently people get paid to make Unboxing videos! That's a job?!



I took it back the next day & the guy said "Yep! It's a Lemon!" & gave me one that worked immediately after "unboxing" it! 






That must have been some box! Did they let you keep it? wink

DC5 - Posted - 12/01/2019:  06:37:47


Years ago, one of my physics students claimed you could charge a cell phone using a watermelon as a power source. I told her that was not possible, but she said it was because she "saw it on youtube". I told her I would give her an A for the year if she could demonstrate, in class, how do do this and that it worked. Her father bought 5 watermelons before he cancelled the experiment. Other students claimed you could unlock a car with a tennis ball, again citing youtube as their evidence. Teaching critical thinking is getting harder and harder now that the internet provides so many wrong, but "believable" answers.

figmo59 - Posted - 12/01/2019:  07:24:56


You can build..a really good rv out of a bus...



Pick n choose what you watch...... :0)



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



This is...



Posted from ah guy...



Who asks...simple questions...


Edited by - figmo59 on 12/01/2019 07:29:22

RonR - Posted - 12/01/2019:  07:51:06


Replacing the Delta single lever faucet cartridge without a stem puller is right up there with the fake news they're feeding us.

Owen - Posted - 12/01/2019:  11:10:23


 

Originally posted by DC5

 <snip>...was not possible, but she said it was because she "saw it on youtube".   <snip>






A generation+ back a respected (?) dude [i.e. enough people must have thought so, as they had elected him mayor] in a village in our area told us that something or other "has to be true, because I saw it on TV." 



Apparently there's merit to: "The more things change, the more they stay the same."



Edit:  Bubba, didn't the instructions also come in German, Japanese, Spanish, French, etc.?  Why didn't you try one of those? cheeky


Edited by - Owen on 12/01/2019 11:22:36

Mooooo - Posted - 12/01/2019:  11:28:06


quote:

Originally posted by DC5

Years ago, one of my physics students claimed you could charge a cell phone using a watermelon as a power source. I told her that was not possible, but she said it was because she "saw it on youtube". I told her I would give her an A for the year if she could demonstrate, in class, how do do this and that it worked. Her father bought 5 watermelons before he cancelled the experiment. Other students claimed you could unlock a car with a tennis ball, again citing youtube as their evidence. Teaching critical thinking is getting harder and harder now that the internet provides so many wrong, but "believable" answers.






One thing that may surprise people who aren't physics teachers is that if you can't find your car in a crowded parking lot, your car door opener range can be greatly increased by holding it up to your head or a bottle of water (most liquids) and pointing through your head in the direction of cars. Probably over 2x the normal range. But I learned that in a video that did tell me what it promised to.


Edited by - Mooooo on 12/01/2019 11:29:30

Paul R - Posted - 12/01/2019:  18:39:29


Spaghetti, anyone? youtube.com/watch?v=tVo_wkxH9dU

DRH - Posted - 12/02/2019:  16:20:48


Here is a movie trailer with a surprising twist.



youtube.com/watch?v=GiknYAzgy2k



 



EDIT:  The movie itself was faked.


Edited by - DRH on 12/02/2019 16:30:02

bubbalouie - Posted - 12/02/2019:  17:09:50


Thanks for that Doug! LOL!

DRH - Posted - 12/02/2019:  17:31:44


Yer welcome Bob.



Decades ago I swore I would never buy anything I saw in an annoying commercial.



That one was a glorious exception.



I still won't buy the brownies though. After two weeks trying to find the movie I finally found out today it was a spoof.


Edited by - DRH on 12/02/2019 17:34:00

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.0625