Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

435
Banjo Lovers Online


 All Forums
 Other Banjo-Related Topics
 Live Sound, Recording and Electronics
 ARCHIVED TOPIC: looking for decent mic with an amp for my banjo,


Please note this is an archived topic, so it is locked and unable to be replied to. You may, however, start a new topic and refer to this topic with a link: http://www.banjohangout.org/archive/355992

Gary r voigt - Posted - 08/06/2019:  22:01:16


I am starting to play for more people now and am looking for a good mic and whatever amp you can recommend...
want it for my rb 250, deering deluxe, or my Osborne chief... I have read the previous post and was more confused...
the mic at musicians friend sounded like a good deal at 2 for 1 sometimes...
also how many of you use a drum machine or backup track... have you ever subscribed to banjo ben and his tabs online...looks like a good way to learn...

thanks,
Gary

johnahunter - Posted - 08/06/2019:  22:41:13


I use the Gold Tone ABS system with a Fishman Loudbox Mini.



The ABS is a clamp-on mic, which I like because it allows me to wander a bit without worrying about staying on mic. The gooseneck keeps the mic close to the banjo head and so far I haven't had any feedback issues. Not necessarily the low cost solution, but the sound is good and, because it's not permanently installed, it can be moved to different banjos. Attaches to the banjo in a matter of minutes and it's easy to vary the positioning to get the sound you're looking for. 



The Loudbox Mini is big enough for small spaces and has a line out to send a signal to the board for bigger venues.



I had a membership to Banjo Ben's site but I stopped after a year. There's a fair amount of content on the site and Ben does a nice job of explaining things, but it was my sense that there wasn't a lot of new content added during the year I was a member. I think in order to get real value out of it, you have to make the time to go there routinely and it's very easy to go weeks without doing a lesson. One of the real advantages of a teacher is the rhythm of the lessons pushes progress.



 

Ric in Richmond - Posted - 08/07/2019:  06:49:27


Goldstone ABS works for me too.

I use a beat buddy drum machine. It is very cool.

Has a midi clock out that synchs with my boomerang looper. I still suck at looping. Need to work on that.

Fathand - Posted - 08/07/2019:  12:17:27


A Shure SM57 is a pretty standard mic for banjo and acoustic instruments. A mic on a stand has the advantage of your being able to play the mic, i.e. step in and out from it while you insert a fill lick or break or back off during the guitar solo etc.

Any decent amp designed for acoustic instruments. If you are shopping used, then a keyboard or bass amp is a better choice than electric guitar amp.

Gary r voigt - Posted - 08/09/2019:  23:28:12


thanks john, very good info ...              quote:

Originally posted by johnahunter

I use the Gold Tone ABS system with a Fishman Loudbox Mini.



The ABS is a clamp-on mic, which I like because it allows me to wander a bit without worrying about staying on mic. The gooseneck keeps the mic close to the banjo head and so far I haven't had any feedback issues. Not necessarily the low cost solution, but the sound is good and, because it's not permanently installed, it can be moved to different banjos. Attaches to the banjo in a matter of minutes and it's easy to vary the positioning to get the sound you're looking for. 



The Loudbox Mini is big enough for small spaces and has a line out to send a signal to the board for bigger venues.



I had a membership to Banjo Ben's site but I stopped after a year. There's a fair amount of content on the site and Ben does a nice job of explaining things, but it was my sense that there wasn't a lot of new content added during the year I was a member. I think in order to get real value out of it, you have to make the time to go there routinely and it's very easy to go weeks without doing a lesson. One of the real advantages of a teacher is the rhythm of the lessons pushes progress.



 






 

Gary r voigt - Posted - 08/09/2019:  23:29:01


quote:   thanks ric, i will try that...

Originally posted by Ric in Richmond

Goldstone ABS works for me too.



I use a beat buddy drum machine. It is very cool.



Has a midi clock out that synchs with my boomerang looper. I still suck at looping. Need to work on that.






 

Gary r voigt - Posted - 08/09/2019:  23:29:59


quote:   thats what i hear is the 57 used by most...

Originally posted by Fathand

A Shure SM57 is a pretty standard mic for banjo and acoustic instruments. A mic on a stand has the advantage of your being able to play the mic, i.e. step in and out from it while you insert a fill lick or break or back off during the guitar solo etc.



Any decent amp designed for acoustic instruments. If you are shopping used, then a keyboard or bass amp is a better choice than electric guitar amp.






 

Fathand - Posted - 08/10/2019:  04:43:28


quote:

Originally posted by Gary r voigt

quote:   thats what i hear is the 57 used by most...

Originally posted by Fathand

A Shure SM57 is a pretty standard mic for banjo and acoustic instruments. A mic on a stand has the advantage of your being able to play the mic, i.e. step in and out from it while you insert a fill lick or break or back off during the guitar solo etc.






I don't know about "most" but they are common, economical and experienced sound men know how to work with them. They are less prone to feedback than many mics. I have used them on stage several times.






 

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.09375