Visit Deering Banjos

 All Forums
 Other Banjo-Related Topics
 Other Banjo-Related Topics: Clawhammer/Old-Time
 Mike Seeger's record colleciton on Ebay

 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Print

 

 

Jimbeaux

Germany
57 posts
since 5/24/16

07/17/2017 04:24:20 View Jimbeaux's MP3 Archive Reply with Quote

As I understand from a post on Fiddle Hangout, Mike Seeger's widow is auctioning off his record collection on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/angry-mom-records/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1 

KYSLOWFINGERSPlayers Union Member

United States
323 posts since 8/1/08

07/17/2017 09:26:23 View KYSLOWFINGERS's Photo Albums View KYSLOWFINGERS's Blog Reply with Quote

WOW!!!!! Unreal, that's like the Library of Congress collection.

Go to Top of Page

raharrisPlayers Union Member

Moderator

United States
3342 posts since 1/11/09

07/17/2017 10:09:05View raharris's MP3 Archive View raharris's Classified Ads View raharris's Photo Albums View raharris's Blog Reply with Quote

Selling it! Why doesn't she donate the collection to a museum or university and write it off on her taxes?! It would make her as much money (or more) without the hassle of selling and with the benefit of sharing the music with the world rather than a few collectors.

Go to Top of Page

NWBanjo

United States
570 posts since 1/19/06

07/17/2017 11:11:10View NWBanjo's MP3 Archive View NWBanjo's Photo Albums Reply with Quote

 


quote:


Originally posted by raharris

 

Selling it! Why doesn't she donate the collection to a museum or university and write it off on her taxes?! It would make her as much money (or more) without the hassle of selling and with the benefit of sharing the music with the world rather than a few collectors.







She donated 500+ to the Southern Folklife Collection (they chose what they wanted) and these are what's left.



 


Go to Top of Page

Mark Douglas

United States
274 posts since 4/28/12

07/17/2017 12:22:40 View Mark Douglas's Classified Ads View Mark Douglas's Photo Albums Reply with Quote

A most extraordinary collection I would presume.

One has to wonder why Southern Folklife did not take the

"Whole kit and kabootle"?

Must be lots of amazing stuff left.


Edited by - Mark Douglas on 07/17/2017 12:24:10

Go to Top of Page

Marc Nerenberg

Canada
5059 posts since 1/16/10

07/17/2017 15:03:42View Marc Nerenberg's MP3 Archive View Marc Nerenberg's Photo Albums View Marc Nerenberg's Blog Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Douglas

A most extraordinary collection I would presume.

One has to wonder why Southern Folklife did not take the

"Whole kit and kabootle"?

Must be lots of amazing stuff left.

Perhaps they already had the rest. I glanced through part of what was on sale at Ebay, and I didn't see anything rare or extraordinary. Of course, I only looked at a small part - but what I saw was good, but not particularly hard to find.


Edited by - Marc Nerenberg on 07/17/2017 15:05:54

Go to Top of Page

UncleClawhammer

United States
1442 posts since 7/4/09

07/17/2017 15:12:55View UncleClawhammer's MP3 Archive View UncleClawhammer's Photo Albums Reply with Quote

I won't be buying any of them, but it's cool to see what Mike had in his collection. Some surprises in there - I never would've guessed Mike Seeger owned so many Roger Miller LPs, or a Jerry Clower album!

Go to Top of Page

Don Huber

United States
2292 posts since 12/11/08

07/17/2017 16:55:01View Don Huber's MP3 Archive View Don Huber's Photo Albums View Don Huber's Blog Reply with Quote

Mike did record Miller's "Private John Q", both solo and with NLCR. Must have been a fan!

Go to Top of Page

raharrisPlayers Union Member

Moderator

United States
3342 posts since 1/11/09

07/17/2017 17:08:53View raharris's MP3 Archive View raharris's Classified Ads View raharris's Photo Albums View raharris's Blog Reply with Quote

 
Originally posted by NWBanjo
 

She donated 500+ to the Southern Folklife Collection (they chose what they wanted) and these are what's left.


Thanks for the clarification --

Go to Top of Page

John GribblePlayers Union Member

Japan
4110 posts since 5/14/07

07/17/2017 18:39:54 View John Gribble's Photo Albums Reply with Quote

I doubt Mr. Seeger left a large enough estate to make tax-deductable donations an attractive option. 

Go to Top of Page

NWBanjo

United States
570 posts since 1/19/06

07/17/2017 20:49:49View NWBanjo's MP3 Archive View NWBanjo's Photo Albums Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Nerenberg
 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Douglas

A most extraordinary collection I would presume.

One has to wonder why Southern Folklife did not take the

"Whole kit and kabootle"?

Must be lots of amazing stuff left.

Perhaps they already had the rest. I glanced through part of what was on sale at Ebay, and I didn't see anything rare or extraordinary. Of course, I only looked at a small part - but what I saw was good, but not particularly hard to find.


 

I think that's very likely and I agree with your assessment of the current batch of records, but I will say that the auctions for the first batch of records ended on Sunday and there were some fabulous (and rare) records available. I nabbed a few, including an especially exciting Virgil Anderson LP.  There will be three batches total, so it's worth keeping an eye on it.  Who knows what will be coming out in the third batch?!

Isaac

Go to Top of Page

ZischkalePlayers Union Member

United States
1321 posts since 11/18/11

07/18/2017 08:09:13View Zischkale's MP3 Archive View Zischkale's Photo Albums Reply with Quote

Love the original Clawhammer Banjo Vol. 3 art. 

Go to Top of Page

 

 

 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Print

Jump To:

Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!




You are not logged in.
Log In


Not a member? Create an Account (FREE!)



4370 BANJO LOVERS ONLINE

HOME | FORUMS | MEMBERS | MEDIA ARCHIVE | TABS & LESSONS | CLASSIFIEDS | REVIEWS | LINKS | CALENDAR | STORE | TERMS OF USE
Viewing desktop version - switch to mobile version