New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Print

Previous PageNext Page

Page: of 78

Thumper47

United States
30 posts since 1/15/13

01/28/2013 10:04:54 Reply with Quote

I am 65 and just started taking banjo lessons the beginning of this month.  I bought a Goodtime 2 on Jan. 18th after reading the reviews on Banjo Hangout and trying three different banjo's at banjo.com.  The plain look took getting used to but I love my new Goodtime 2.  It was a little above my preferred price range but I was willing to pay extra because it is American made.

The one thing I would change is the armrest.  It is not very comfortable.  I know there is an after market upgrade available but it is expensive and I am not crazy about the way it attaches or looks when installed.

Are there any plans for a wider armrest that attaches like the original, either as a stock item or an upgrade?  I would take the wood armrest off my old Asian banjo but it has 24 brackets and won't fit on my 16 bracket Goodtime.

Thumper47

Go to Top of Page

BanjoJeffPlayers Union Member

United States
976 posts since 5/3/05

01/28/2013 10:29:40View BanjoJeff's MP3 Archive View BanjoJeff's Photo Albums View BanjoJeff's Blog Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Thumper47

I am 65 and just started taking banjo lessons the beginning of this month.  I bought a Goodtime 2 on Jan. 18th after reading the reviews on Banjo Hangout and trying three different banjo's at banjo.com.  The plain look took getting used to but I love my new Goodtime 2.  It was a little above my preferred price range but I was willing to pay extra because it is American made.

The one thing I would change is the armrest.  It is not very comfortable.  I know there is an after market upgrade available but it is expensive and I am not crazy about the way it attaches or looks when installed.

Are there any plans for a wider armrest that attaches like the original, either as a stock item or an upgrade?  I would take the wood armrest off my old Asian banjo but it has 24 brackets and won't fit on my 16 bracket Goodtime.

Thumper47

The thinline arm rest would be a nice upgrade.

http://www.deeringbanjos.com/banjomate-armrest

http://www.littlemountainmusic.com/banjo/

Or the vega wire type will work also and is much cheaper.

http://elderly.com/also/accessories/items/SARM10.htm

You'll probably get a mix of opinions on which is more comfortable but hope this helps.

Edited by - BanjoJeff on 01/28/2013 10:39:09

Go to Top of Page

Thumper47

United States
30 posts since 1/15/13

01/28/2013 11:20:26 Reply with Quote

Banjo Jeff,

Thank you for the suggestions.  Unfortunately, I think  the Vega wire type would be less comfortable than the one currently on the banjo.

At some point I'll probably give in and buy an after market one from Little Mountain Music.

I still wish Deering would make a wider armrest that attached like the narrow one.

Thumper47

Go to Top of Page

Janet Deering

United States
747 posts since 2/24/08

01/30/2013 21:13:41 View Janet Deering's Photo Albums View Janet Deering's Blog Reply with Quote

We just released a new armrest for the Goodtime banjos that is more comfortable.

Here is the page on our website:

http://www.deeringbanjos.com/goodtime-banjo-armrest

Have you seen this?  I think it fits what you are looking for.

Go to Top of Page

bluegrass37918

United States
42 posts since 10/14/06

01/31/2013 17:12:23 View bluegrass37918's Classified Ads Reply with Quote

I just received a tenbrooks saratoga star that is labeled as a demo and the serial number is
0420110 0174CF what does the CF stand for?

Go to Top of Page

Thumper47

United States
30 posts since 1/15/13

01/31/2013 17:24:02 Reply with Quote

Janet,

Thank you for the heads-up. I think what you are referring to is the Banjo Mate armrest.  That will work but what I am looking for is something that looks like the Deering armrest for a 24 hook banjo.

I have been told an OME armest will work on a Goodtime 2 but I am trying to be sure it will work and look like I want it to before I spend $60 on an OME armrest.

Do you have any experience with an OME armrest on a Goodtime 2.

Thumper47

Go to Top of Page

Janet Deering

United States
747 posts since 2/24/08

01/31/2013 19:46:46 View Janet Deering's Photo Albums View Janet Deering's Blog Reply with Quote

No, I am not referring to the banjo mate armrest. Sorry the link didn't take, but we just released a new armrest for the Goodtime banjos that is wider and flat but fits the 16 bracket spacing of the Goodtime banjos. You can find it on our website and it sells for $24.95.

Go to Top of Page

Janet Deering

United States
747 posts since 2/24/08

01/31/2013 19:49:13 View Janet Deering's Photo Albums View Janet Deering's Blog Reply with Quote

The CF on your serial number of the Saratoga Star was a designation of a festival it was shown at as a demo.

Go to Top of Page

MontanarickPlayers Union Member

United States
1900 posts since 6/20/11

01/31/2013 21:51:13 View Montanarick's Classified Ads View Montanarick's Photo Albums Reply with Quote

quote:I wish that  armrest had been available when I had my Goodtime....the armrests that came with my Little Wonder and Senator are the best that I have used.

Originally posted by Janet Deering

No, I am not referring to the banjo mate armrest. Sorry the link didn't take, but we just released a new armrest for the Goodtime banjos that is wider and flat but fits the 16 bracket spacing of the Goodtime banjos. You can find it on our website and it sells for $24.95.

Go to Top of Page

bluegrass37918

United States
42 posts since 10/14/06

02/01/2013 07:58:21 View bluegrass37918's Classified Ads Reply with Quote

Which festival does the CF stand for? Thank You, Greg

Go to Top of Page

Thumper47

United States
30 posts since 1/15/13

02/01/2013 09:47:14 Reply with Quote

Janet,

Thank yo,  for clearing up my confusion.  I just placed and order for the new style armrest.

Thumper47

Go to Top of Page

dnichols

United States
157 posts since 7/1/11

02/01/2013 10:17:57 View dnichols's Classified Ads Reply with Quote

Hi...This might have already been addressed in the 69 pages on this thread, but I have a Goodtime banjo that I love...LOVE IT...I was thinking about moving up to a Calico/high-end Deering...but a couple years ago, the high-end Deerings I've played were more tinny then other high end banjos I've played (Gibsons, Hubers, Yates, etc) ...Again, it has been a couple years since I played these Deerings..has anything changed over the past couple years go address this issue...

Go to Top of Page

DeanT

United States
33245 posts since 7/28/05

02/01/2013 11:30:14 View DeanT's Photo Albums Reply with Quote

Set-up. Every Deering I've played (including the three that I've owned) with a factory set tailpiece (down on the tension hoop) is too thin and tinny sounding for my liking. I guess some people like it, or they wouldn't set them up like that. I own a Calico, and I have the tailpiece raised up off the tension hoop, with the forward most edge always 1/4" or more from the head surface. This gives it a nice deeper, richer, full tone which rivals my Gibson.

Go to Top of Page

mikeyb2

England
176 posts since 12/14/12

02/01/2013 13:41:18 View mikeyb2's Photo Albums Reply with Quote

After a bad experience buying a Gold tone banjo from Andybanjo(UK), I won't return there under any circumstances. Forum members responding to my thread recommended a Deering Goodtime from EagleMusic, Huddersfield, and in particular the Leader openback. I rang Eagle over 3 weeks ago and was told no stock of the Leader and were due in the following week. I was told this 3 weeks in succession and now I'm told they have received a shipment but no Leaders again. They may be there in another 2 weeks!(I'm not so confident). In the meantime, I 'm itching to start learning the banjo but I'm without one. So come on Deering please pull your finger out before I lose patience and buy something I might regret.

Go to Top of Page

Levi FisherPlayers Union Member

United States
238 posts since 1/13/11

02/19/2013 15:03:17 View Levi Fisher's Photo Albums Reply with Quote

Janet, congratulations on the nice article that was in the Los Angeles Times .It made it here in Pittsburgh in the Sunday edition. It was nice to read about how you and Greg have increased your staff and are doing well.  Pretty Cool!!!

I also want to thank you for giving the "heads up" on the new arm rest for the Goodtime.  I ordered mine and really like it.  And I also want to thank you for making banjos for all skill levels. 

Levi Fisher------ A satisfied Goodtime ownersmiley

Go to Top of Page

MontanarickPlayers Union Member

United States
1900 posts since 6/20/11

02/19/2013 16:42:39 View Montanarick's Classified Ads View Montanarick's Photo Albums Reply with Quote

Ditto what Levi said....very satisfied PAST GOODTIME owner and still miss it......BUT......a very satisfied current owner of a Little Wonder and Senator! Rick

Go to Top of Page

banjaboyPlayers Union Member

United States
2863 posts since 5/14/03

02/20/2013 18:53:53 View banjaboy's Classified Ads View banjaboy's Photo Albums Reply with Quote

Just got a Deering Sierra, I love it!! I have worked a trade or 2 to get this great instrument. It has all the guts of the higher end models without too much flash, I love it!!!I just have one small warranty issue that I am sure will be fixed without a hassle. I took the resonator off and the fit and finish inside is as good as the visible stuff. Ultimately I would love a Calico strictly for that blonde look but I will keep this one.

Go to Top of Page

bkdraftPlayers Union Member

United States
570 posts since 11/21/11

02/20/2013 19:07:43View bkdraft's MP3 Archive View bkdraft's Classified Ads View bkdraft's Photo Albums Reply with Quote

My new to me Goodtime will be here tomorrow, picked it up for a travel banjo. It has Maple Blossom inlays, so it will match my Maple Blossom great!. Soon as I get the serial # gona try and find out some information on it. They told me it was a prototype, so would like to know its history.

Go to Top of Page

Janet Deering

United States
747 posts since 2/24/08

02/21/2013 10:46:03 View Janet Deering's Photo Albums View Janet Deering's Blog Reply with Quote

Congrats on getting one of the few Goodtime banjos we made with Maple Blossom inlays.  We only made half a dozen of those banjos and we sold them from our showroom here in San Diego.  The inlays are walnut. You got a prize!

Go to Top of Page

Janet Deering

United States
747 posts since 2/24/08

02/21/2013 10:51:15 View Janet Deering's Photo Albums View Janet Deering's Blog Reply with Quote

Bluegrass 37918,   Your banjo was shown in the California Festivals, Grass Valley or Huck Finn. 

Go to Top of Page

Janet Deering

United States
747 posts since 2/24/08

02/21/2013 10:57:40 View Janet Deering's Photo Albums View Janet Deering's Blog Reply with Quote

Mikeyb2,  The Leaders just arrived at Eagle Music. Sorry for the delay.  I just got word that the shipment is there now.  I'm sure they will take good care of your needs.  Thanks for your patience.

Go to Top of Page

mikeyb2

England
176 posts since 12/14/12

02/21/2013 13:52:39 View mikeyb2's Photo Albums Reply with Quote

Janet, it's a bit late for me. I couldn't wait any longer so I went and bought a Recording King RK025 which I'm very happy with, in fact I think I've made the right choice. Thanks for your efforts though. M

Go to Top of Page

bkdraftPlayers Union Member

United States
570 posts since 11/21/11

02/21/2013 16:17:57View bkdraft's MP3 Archive View bkdraft's Classified Ads View bkdraft's Photo Albums Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Janet Deering

Congrats on getting one of the few Goodtime banjos we made with Maple Blossom inlays.  We only made half a dozen of those banjos and we sold them from our showroom here in San Diego.  The inlays are walnut. You got a prize!

Got the banjo today, its in great shape. It also has been signed by you and Greg and also by Caroline. It will be headed to San Diego next Tuesday, we will be there for a week visiting our daughter and SIL.

Go to Top of Page

banjaboyPlayers Union Member

United States
2863 posts since 5/14/03

02/21/2013 16:27:41 View banjaboy's Classified Ads View banjaboy's Photo Albums Reply with Quote

I just got rid of my RK 35, just not my sound but this Sierra, man its a refined cannon, i love it!

Go to Top of Page

pickn5Players Union Member

United States
665 posts since 8/8/12

02/22/2013 08:02:23View pickn5's MP3 Archive View pickn5's Blog Reply with Quote

I just purchase an 07 Sierra as an upgrade from my Hondo. The payment is in the mail and it will be shipped when the check clears. Oh, the anticipation and excitement.

Go to Top of Page

Page: of 78
Previous PageNext Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Print

Jump To:

Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!

You are not logged in.

Not a member? Create an Account (FREE!)

2949 BANJO LOVERS ONLINE

HOME | FORUMS | MEMBERS | MEDIA ARCHIVE | TABS & LESSONS | CLASSIFIEDS | REVIEWS | LINKS | CALENDAR | STORE | TERMS OF USE