View tomberghan's Homepage
Read tomberghan's Bio
You must sign into your myHangout account in order to contact tomberghan.
Playing Since: 2009
Experience Level: Purty Good
tomberghan has made 157 recent additions to Banjo Hangout
Occupation: Professional Musician until age 37, now I am an Engineer
1) Chuck Lee - Vintage Ovilla made in 2008, 12" hardrock maple rim, Kat Eyz bridge - Old Maple and Purpleheart, W.D. Miller Vellum Calfskin head
2) Banjo d'Amore (Orpheus) - Dan Knowles, 2011
3) 1929 Gibson TB-2, four string
4) 5-string Buck Creek - Arthur Hatfield, 2012
5) Gold Tone Fretless Bass Banjo BB-400 Custom, bass tuning EADG, 2010
6) Soprano 4-string - Gold Tone, custom 2011
7) Autumn 2013 - I have a Mini-Banjo on order from Marvin Walker, http://www.banjomaker.net/
Earl, Don, Ralph, JD, Jim Mills. I like the "old stuff" and older styles. I admire many of today's younger "progressive" artists, but I have always enjoyed collecting records from the 1920s through to the early 1960s. That fifty year period of American music is my favorite: Bluegrass, Old Time, Blues, Hokum, Rags, Swing, Hillbilly, Country, & Rockabilly. That's for me!
Classified Rating: not rated
Rate this Member
Visible to: Public
Last Visit 4/18/2014
< View Entire Music Archive
Play count: 563
12 people like this
Size: 5,979kb, uploaded 11/23/2011 3:09:57 PM
Genre: Unknown/None Chosen
This was recorded just a couple of days after I received the new banjo. The banjo has four sympathetic strings which become active when the other five are plucked. This gives the instrument a silvery shimmery sound. The concept was taken from the Viola d'Amore, an instrument similar in the viola family but with with sympathetic strings which are not bowed, but activate (vibrate) when the other strings are bowed.
on “Demo of the Banjo d'Amore built by Dan Knowles of Paris TN - Nov 23, 2011”
Wednesday, November 23, 2011 @8:46:00 PM
What an incredible sound. Fantastic collaboration of player and builder.
Wednesday, November 30, 2011 @3:49:41 PM
gorgeous... silvery-shimmery and well worth the wait :-)
Friday, December 02, 2011 @9:10:30 AM
Neat! Love the openness of the sound. Lots of natural reverb.
You must sign into your myHangout account before you can post comments.
You are allowed to post recordings of yourself performing:
- public-domain (non-copyrighted) songs
- original songs written by yourself
- songs written by someone else and licensed through ASCAP, BMI, or SESAC
Anything posted in violation of this notice may be removed by the webmaster without prior notice, and may result in your myHangout account being locked. Read complete copyright policy.