View Tom Berghan's Homepage
Read Tom Berghan's Bio
Contact Tom Berghan
You must sign into your myHangout account in order to contact Tom Berghan.
Playing Since: 1961
Experience Level: Expert/Professional
Tom Berghan has made 59 recent additions to Banjo Hangout
Occupation: Engineer & Musician
1) Gibson RB-250 tube & plate flange, early 70s
2) Banjo d'Amore (Orpheus) - Dan Knowles, 2011
3) 1929 Gibson TB-2, four string
4) 5-string Buck Creek - Arthur Hatfield, 2012
5) Gold Tone Fretless Bass Banjo BB-400 Custom, bass tuning EADG, 2010
6) Minstrel "early" banjo, after Joe Sweeney, by James Hartel, 2016
7) 2014 Mini-Banjo (Soprano 5 string) by Marvin Walker, http://www.banjomaker.net/
In general I like the "old stuff" and older styles. I admire many of today's younger "progressive" artists, but I have always enjoyed collecting records from the 1920s through to the early 1960s. That fifty year period of American music is my favorite: Bluegrass, Old Time, Blues, Hokum, Rags, Swing, Hillbilly, Country, & Rockabilly. That's for me!
Classified Rating: (+1)
Rate this Member
Visible to: Public
Last Visit 8/21/2017
< View Entire Music Archive
by Tom Berghan
Play count: 718
13 people like this
Size: 5,979kb, uploaded 11/23/2011 3:09:57 PM
Genre: Unknown/None Chosen / Playing Style: Unknown/None Chosen
This was recorded just a couple of days after I received the new banjo. The banjo has four sympathetic strings which become active when the other five are plucked. This gives the instrument a silvery shimmery sound. The concept was taken from the Viola d'Amore, an instrument similar in the viola family but with with sympathetic strings which are not bowed, but activate (vibrate) when the other strings are bowed.
on “Demo of the Banjo d'Amore built by Dan Knowles of Paris TN - Nov 23, 2011”
Wednesday, November 23, 2011 @8:46:00 PM
What an incredible sound. Fantastic collaboration of player and builder.
Wednesday, November 30, 2011 @3:49:41 PM
gorgeous... silvery-shimmery and well worth the wait :-)
Friday, December 2, 2011 @9:10:30 AM
Neat! Love the openness of the sound. Lots of natural reverb.
Monday, May 19, 2014 @6:35:32 AM
very beautiful sounding and looking. really beautiful.
You must sign into your myHangout account before you can post comments.
You are allowed to post recordings of yourself performing:
- public-domain (non-copyrighted) songs
- original songs written by yourself
- songs written by someone else and licensed through ASCAP, BMI, or SESAC
Anything posted in violation of this notice may be removed by the webmaster without prior notice, and may result in your myHangout account being locked. Read complete copyright policy.