View Tom Berghan's Homepage
Read Tom Berghan's Bio
Contact Tom Berghan
You must sign into your myHangout account in order to contact Tom Berghan.
Playing Since: 2009
Experience Level: Expert/Professional
Tom Berghan has made 101 recent additions to Banjo Hangout
Occupation: Engineer & Musician
1) Gibson RB-250 tube & plate flange, early 70s
2) Banjo d'Amore (Orpheus) - Dan Knowles, 2011
3) 1929 Gibson TB-2, four string
4) 5-string Buck Creek - Arthur Hatfield, 2012
5) Gold Tone Fretless Bass Banjo BB-400 Custom, bass tuning EADG, 2010
6) Minstrel "early" banjo, after Joe Sweeney, by James Hartel, 2016
7) 2014 Mini-Banjo (Soprano 5 string) by Marvin Walker, http://www.banjomaker.net/
In general I like the "old stuff" and older styles. I admire many of today's younger "progressive" artists, most notably Rhiannon Giddens, but I have always enjoyed collecting records from the 1920s through to the early 1960s. That fifty year period of American music is my favorite: Bluegrass, Old Time, Blues, Hokum, Rags, Swing, Hillbilly, Country, & Rockabilly. That's for me!
Classified Rating: (+1)
Rate this Member
Visible to: Public
Last Visit 3/22/2017
< View Entire Music Archive
by Tom Berghan
Play count: 753
12 people like this
Size: 1,504kb, uploaded 7/10/2010 2:58:47 PM
Genre: Traditional / Playing Style: Clawhammer and Old-Time
Tom Berghan Clawhammer, Chuck Lee, Vintage Ovilla
on “Cuckoo's Nest”
Saturday, July 10, 2010 @3:49:26 PM
now that was what i was talking about tom,just so clear and just great
||Laurence Diehl Says:|
Monday, January 24, 2011 @12:02:03 PM
So I was trying to explain to my wife the difference between banjo played by someone with a classical discipline (by which I just mean an enhanced focus on tone, execution etc.) and a more 'folksy' approach. I sent her this one for the first example - I think it says it all. Sounds like every note was polished and hung out on the line.
You must sign into your myHangout account before you can post comments.
You are allowed to post recordings of yourself performing:
- public-domain (non-copyrighted) songs
- original songs written by yourself
- songs written by someone else and licensed through ASCAP, BMI, or SESAC
Anything posted in violation of this notice may be removed by the webmaster without prior notice, and may result in your myHangout account being locked. Read complete copyright policy.