View wbelm's Homepage
Read wbelm's Bio
You must sign into your myHangout account in order to contact wbelm.
Playing Since: 1962
Experience Level: Purty Good
wbelm has made 71 recent additions to Banjo Hangout
[Teaching] [Jamming] [Socializing] [Helping]
1930 Gibson TB-Granada sn 9556-32
1930 Gibson RB-3 sn 9602-12
1936 Gibson PB-Granada sn 558-3
Henry C Dobson "Silver Bell"
1924 Gibson RB-3
1929 Granada/Style 5 Deluxe
Banjoists: Bobby Thompson, Adam Hurt, Earl Scruggs, J.D.Crowe, Scott Vestal, Ron Stewart, Robby Boone, Ron Block
Guitarists: Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed, Howard Roberts, Wes Montgomery, Stevie Ray Vaughn, B.B. King, Tony Rice, Robert Bowlin
Bands: Foggy Mountain Boys, P P and M, Bob Dylan, Kingston Trio, A K U S, Crowe and New South, Area Code 615, The Rooftop Singers, Johnson Mountain Boys
Classified Rating: +3
Rate this Member
Visible to: Public
Last Visit 5/24/2013
Thursday, June 16, 2011 @3:24:24 PM
Collecting vintage instruments is in my blood, ever since trying to find a prewar flathead years ago. Now I am "banjo crazy" primarily for open backs dating from about 1850 - 1910. I am posting photos of some of my open backs. Take a look at my hangout site if you enjoy that kind of thing. I never tire of seeing photos of nice instruments.
I love playing and collecting vintage open back banjos for the following reasons:
1. Affordable, at least for now
2. Original 5-string necks ....... usually original tuners are fine, the banjos are generally ready to play and enjoy.
3. Play old music on old instruments, it's just better. Instruments that have character and can tell a story
4. Artistry and craftsmanship of the highest order. .........old world materials no longer available
5. Investment potential ........ play it and let it grow.
6. Variety of manufacturers .....different tonalities, weights, sizes, scales, heel carvings, peg head shapes, inlay patterns, etc.
7. Easy to sell and trade
8. Enjoy playing and owning a piece of Americana
Recent Forum Posts
Do you think money corrupts people? (6 days ago)
Custom "banjo-y" License Plates (8 days ago)
WHYTE LADIE NO7 - 5 String Banjo made by Fairbanks Co. (8 days ago)
Antique Inlaid Fingerboard and drum Banjo...help needed please! (13 days ago)
Find all non-archived posts by wbelm
banjo players in Arkansas
H. C. Dobson Banjos
wbelm has 84 friends. View entire friends list.
Music (0 files)
View All Photos